Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th July 2008, 22:11   #1
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Default another caravan question

I know this may be a stupid question, but how do I run 12v appliances in my van? Do the 12v run through the existing wall sockets when its not plugged into the electric? Just purchased a dual voltage Tv and am wondering where I plug it for 12 v.

Cheers
alan

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 00:41   #2
GrahamP
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club Automatic

Modern vans normally use 240v from the mains hookup for everything including charging the 12v leisure battery when on site with mains supply.
If your on a site without mains then you will have to use 12v from the leisure battery for lights TV etc. and gas for fridge and hot water. You should have a 12v supply outlet next to the 240v socket and aerial socket by the TV shelf for running the TV on 12v. The 12v sockets are normally only 2 pin usually with one pin larger than the other so the plug will only fit one way.
If you don't have one for the TV they are easily sourced from a caravan dealer or leisure goods retailer such as Towsure and wire it into the distribution/fuse panel on the 12v supply.
Don't be tempted to run from the service socket on the cars towbar or you could end up with a flat battery on the car come the morning, the 12v from the car is intended to charge the leisure battery and supply the fridge whilst towing.
I use two leisure batteries if on a site with no mains one is in the boot of the car on a split charger so is being charged by the car whilst out for the day so can be swapped with the leisure battery on the van when it starts getting low. I also use a 240/12v Honda generator if possible but not allways allowed, but they are an expensive option.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GrahamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 09:00   #3
apywell
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamP View Post
Modern vans normally use 240v from the mains hookup for everything including charging the 12v leisure battery when on site with mains supply.
If your on a site without mains then you will have to use 12v from the leisure battery for lights TV etc. and gas for fridge and hot water. You should have a 12v supply outlet next to the 240v socket and aerial socket by the TV shelf for running the TV on 12v. The 12v sockets are normally only 2 pin usually with one pin larger than the other so the plug will only fit one way.
If you don't have one for the TV they are easily sourced from a caravan dealer or leisure goods retailer such as Towsure and wire it into the distribution/fuse panel on the 12v supply.
Don't be tempted to run from the service socket on the cars towbar or you could end up with a flat battery on the car come the morning, the 12v from the car is intended to charge the leisure battery and supply the fridge whilst towing.
I use two leisure batteries if on a site with no mains one is in the boot of the car on a split charger so is being charged by the car whilst out for the day so can be swapped with the leisure battery on the van when it starts getting low. I also use a 240/12v Honda generator if possible but not allways allowed, but they are an expensive option.
Hi Graham, thanks for this. I've never had a tourer before and I'm still getting used to how it's all done. I have noticed a 2 square pin socket next to the TV 240v and areal socket. The person said he thought it was for an FM aerial. But from what you are saying, it is for the TV on 12v.

Now I don't have a 2-pin plug, and none came with the TV, just the 240v and a 12v plug for the cigarette lighter in the car. I'll pop to my local caravan dealer this morning to get one.

I only have the one electrical socket on the towbar to power the driving lights of the van, so Yesterday I fitted a 43W solar panel to the van roof and wired it to the new 110ah leisure battery. I'm hoping with liberal use, this should keep me topped up with free no hassle power.

Although electric hook ups are good I quite like the freedom to go anywhere.

cheers
Alan

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
Old 27th July 2008, 10:34   #4
GrahamP
Loves to post

The 2 square pin socket is more than likely your 12v supply. There should be a small box near the tv that the aerial plugs into with 2 sockets one is marked UHF and the other FM for radio. On the 12v lead I just removed the cigar lighter plug and fitted a 12v 2 pin one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27th July 2008, 13:30   #5
apywell
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamP View Post
The 2 square pin socket is more than likely your 12v supply. There should be a small box near the tv that the aerial plugs into with 2 sockets one is marked UHF and the other FM for radio. On the 12v lead I just removed the cigar lighter plug and fitted a 12v 2 pin one.
I went to the local caravan dealer near me and found that there are 2 kinds. Anyhow, the kind guy said I could take both and just return the one that is not the right fitting. So long as it's not opened.

Thanks for your help in this Graham.. think I'm sorted now.

Old 27th July 2008, 23:40   #6
GrahamP
Loves to post

Bit of a learning curve when you get your first van but after a few trips away and everything sort to your way you can sit back and enjoy your time on site.
Glad your getting it all sorted.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]