Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd July 2008, 21:02   #1
pauls7823

rover 75 tourer

Default Fuel pumps in Tank

Can anyone clarify

I broke down whilst towing a caravan, fuel starvation. It was determined that the in tank pump had gone. The AA where fantastic and I had AA repair insurance, I would higly recommend the AA. Symptoms where sincere difficulty in pulling and a sudden stall.
Anyhow the AA'S preffered provider is nationwide autocare. They took several days to repair as they stated that one pump in the tank was on delivery, the other was on back order Apparently I had the last one in the country (alarm bells). I was under the impression there were two pumps in total one under the bonnet and one in the tank, But they stated there where three one on the right and one on the left of the tank which circulates the fuel and one under the bonnet which was ok.

Is this the case. I am curious as the cost took the majority of the insurance £500 for the two pumps, and I have not heard the mention in any of the useful theads about a third pump. It was also strange as they where waiting for the third pump when I called at about 4pm and this would take another day, I suddenly got a call saying the vehicle was ready at ten minutes to 5pm.

The car is a 2003 cdt. Even though I only paid the excess I am curious.
pauls7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:22   #2
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

I'm sure there are only 2, one next to battery and one under the rear seat. When I had the AA out during the winter for a fuel pump problem he checked both... not three! How odd they think you have three.

How many miles on the clock?

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:25   #3
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Either a 2 pump system 1 in Tank 1 under bonnet
or a 1 Pump system in Tank (later Models).
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 19:26   #4
pauls7823

rover 75 tourer

Default Pumps

I wonder if this could be an opportunity for them to take advantage of the insurance policies. Ie they have stated they have replaced two in the tank and charged for these. Just under £500. This does not include the underbonnet pump. I have not seen all of the invoices just the one for my £25 excess.

I am going to obtain the invoices.
pauls7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 20:19   #5
Jonathan
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

My car suffered a similar failure a couple of weeks ago, but it had the consideration to break right outside my house rather than while on the move.

Luckily the car's still under warranty, so a quick call to SMC Assist and it was on the way to our local ex-Rover dealer and ready for collection the very next day with a new pump. Total cost to me - NIL.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 20:32   #6
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

There is one pump in the tank and one under the bonnet, the under bonnet one was deleted on later models and a different one fitted in the the tank.
The pump in the tank is fitted on the right (offside), it's not a pump on the left (nearside) it's just a filter module, it's nearly as big as the pump.
Petrol ones have a tendency to become unscrewed but just need screwing together again and fitted with a plastic clip. Diesel ones don't normally have any problems.
raykay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 20:43   #7
Geoffrey
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon cdti + 214

Mine broke down on a motorway last week, and the repair job cost me just over £800.
G
Geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 11:15   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls7823 View Post
I wonder if this could be an opportunity for them to take advantage of the insurance policies.
Undoubtedly. In my experience, repairs conducted under insurance are used by many repairers to rip off the insurers and make a lot of easy money. It's the reason car insurance costs so much. The itemised bill for some repairs I had done to a 418dt contained a list of jobs I knew couldn't have been done. I advised the insurer, but they weren't interested. The frustrating thing is the insurance companies seem to be aware of the practice. Providing you, the customer, are satisfied with the results, the cost appears to be irrelevant. After all the rest of us are paying.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote