Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th July 2008, 19:52   #31
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrush View Post
You can certainly ask but don't hold your breath
I guess it will nean joining the forums on thses caravan club sites......

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 19:56   #32
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

I agree with everything having towed vans for years, always using a powerful towing vehicle

Stick close to the 100 K noseweight but not above
fit a stabiliser
fit Tyron bands [a puncture or blowout will turn the caravan over without]

+ fit new tyres after purchase even if they look good and have loads of tread
Tyres on a caravan rarely wear out the treads due to low mileage, they stand on these in one position all winter, spend a lot of time in the sun and have a tendency to crack around the sidewalls. You never want a blow out on a caravan tyre. Ensure the tyres you buy are the right weight limit.
{ higher than cars as only one axle} and the tyres do not steer so are dragged around bends and corners. Fit new ones after buying van and before going on holiday. Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 01:33   #33
Vulcan190+
Regular poster

Trophy Blue MG ZT-T 190+ 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by apywell View Post
Thanks for all your info. I have pulled a trailer all over the place full of camping stuff so i kind of know how a trailer behaves while reversing. Although i know a van is soo much wider and taller. Quite daunting really, but I know me and I am taking delivery on Sunday morning in a large country park with a very big car park, so i will have a few practices reversing etc before I get out on the open road.

I have always enjoyed holidaying in the open air in this country and have a large 6berth frame tent, but sadly the wife has had enough of tent erecting... hehehe. I'm sure we will love our first venture caravanning. At £1900 with everything included, I had to buy it!

Oh, and sorry for for your loss of 12k..... but is it?
To get the one I want... yeah about 12k for it and all the kit (we have nothing anymore)
I'd love to get back to it but I fear it's a bit pie in the sky... not going to happen really.
Reversing always takes you by surprise every time you do it.:lol: then you settle in and just do it. Just think about where you want it to go and move the car accordingly.. you'll get it. Try to get the instinct rather than try formulas, I have seen nasty crunches with guys who said " I did it how the book said"
We did caravan rallies every other weekend for years, it all became a bit second nature, now I'm not so sure.... lol
Oddly I would love.. and I would organise.. a rally of MGR owners who owned caravans who fancied a weekend away, might even get to borrow the in-laws van for the weekend.
Sunderland airport (near the Nissan factory) is a great place for a rally.

Last edited by Vulcan190+; 12th July 2008 at 01:41..
Vulcan190+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 21:37   #34
apywell
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goody View Post
I agree with everything having towed vans for years, always using a powerful towing vehicle

Stick close to the 100 K noseweight but not above
fit a stabiliser
fit Tyron bands [a puncture or blowout will turn the caravan over without]

+ fit new tyres after purchase even if they look good and have loads of tread
Tyres on a caravan rarely wear out the treads due to low mileage, they stand on these in one position all winter, spend a lot of time in the sun and have a tendency to crack around the sidewalls. You never want a blow out on a caravan tyre. Ensure the tyres you buy are the right weight limit.
{ higher than cars as only one axle} and the tyres do not steer so are dragged around bends and corners. Fit new ones after buying van and before going on holiday. Dave

I hear good advice about these Tyron bands. Just been looking up what they are. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good stockist or do any tyre outfit have them?

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
Old 13th July 2008, 02:15   #35
GrahamP
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club Automatic

Think you'll find most caravan dealers that have service facilities will fit them, had mine done 5 years ago.
Another addition you might be interested in is adding a front towing bracket fitted. http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acata...h_Towbars.html

Fits to the left of centre invisible when removable section is off. To get my Coachman back onto the drive I only have 2" clearance each side trying to reverse it in on the back of the car is impossible hooked on the front and pushed in is a piece of cake. The caravan movers can't get it up the slope too steep they just slip or stall.
The other advantage is getting the van off a wet and muddy site, hooked on the back being front wheel drive the wheels just spin, but hooked on the front with the extra nose weight on the front wheels and reversing off is easy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GrahamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 04:42   #36
apywell
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamP View Post
Think you'll find most caravan dealers that have service facilities will fit them, had mine done 5 years ago.
Another addition you might be interested in is adding a front towing bracket fitted. http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acata...h_Towbars.html

Fits to the left of centre invisible when removable section is off. To get my Coachman back onto the drive I only have 2" clearance each side trying to reverse it in on the back of the car is impossible hooked on the front and pushed in is a piece of cake. The caravan movers can't get it up the slope too steep they just slip or stall.
The other advantage is getting the van off a wet and muddy site, hooked on the back being front wheel drive the wheels just spin, but hooked on the front with the extra nose weight on the front wheels and reversing off is easy.
Hi Graham. Never heard of these before. Think I'll wait to see how things go. There are always lots of things to buy when first venturing out on something new like this. For example finding a 12v/240v colour TV. After all, I dont want to be chipping into mr Rover 75 servicing funds to kit out my van. It's all exciting stuff.

Old 13th July 2008, 04:50   #37
apywell
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan190+ View Post
To get the one I want... yeah about 12k for it and all the kit (we have nothing anymore)
I'd love to get back to it but I fear it's a bit pie in the sky... not going to happen really.
Reversing always takes you by surprise every time you do it.:lol: then you settle in and just do it. Just think about where you want it to go and move the car accordingly.. you'll get it. Try to get the instinct rather than try formulas, I have seen nasty crunches with guys who said " I did it how the book said"
We did caravan rallies every other weekend for years, it all became a bit second nature, now I'm not so sure.... lol
Oddly I would love.. and I would organise.. a rally of MGR owners who owned caravans who fancied a weekend away, might even get to borrow the in-laws van for the weekend.
Sunderland airport (near the Nissan factory) is a great place for a rally.
I must admit 12k is a lot to spend on a tourer, and not sure if I could justify that myself. I know some are the business and are fantastic, but if a 12k one is pie in the sky couldn't you settle for a more modest one? Or is it like changing a car, move upto better and sometimes more expensive ones?

An airport seems to be an odd place for a rally.

Old 13th July 2008, 12:56   #38
Vulcan190+
Regular poster

Trophy Blue MG ZT-T 190+ 2002

Yep I'd have to have better than I had before, that's just me probably. :lol:

Sunderland airport is now the North East Aircraft Museum and has a Vulcan in the grounds. The last rally we had there I had my 'van parked just under the port wing. The grassy area is quite large and you can get a fair few vans there.

http://www.neam.org.uk/
Vulcan190+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 13:12   #39
Dilligat
Regular poster

75 saloon

I hope I'm not too late to post on this thread.
I made the mistake of asking the question and now realikse I don't like the answer!!!
I am about to tow a caravan with my 2.0CDT Conn Se manual.

I began to study tow weights, etc and came across stabilizers.

I have a brink detachable towbar and it has a horizontal slot bracket just to lower right of it and the caravan has the horizontal plastic u channel to the right of the a frame when facing the rar of the car similar to this in the photo
http://www.autow.co.uk/AspxPages/ima...rilled+chassis

This suggests that the bits are in place for a stabilizer but how do i work out which make of stabilizer bar to get and how do they fit in?

Confused

Thanks in anticipation
Dilligat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 21:54   #40
Steady-Eddie
Avid contributor

2004 75 CDTi, Conn SE

Welcome to the world of the "Wobble Box".

As has already been suggested, tyres should be changed at 5years of age. You can tell the age by looking for the DOT marking on the side wall. The 4 figures after this show the year and week of manufacture. This site tells you about it http://www.pirelli.co.uk/web/technol...r/default.page

Bought our van last year from a very nice and seemingly genuine guy. Spent the next 7 months rebuilding a wet and rotten shed on wheels. Buyer beware!! Just back from a very enjoyable fortnight in Holland so it was worth it in the end..

This site http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/default.aspwas invaluable when I wanted advise on all aspects of caravanning (and repairs), just like our own club.

Enjoy your new hobby