Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th December 2006, 19:25   #1
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Default Xenon Bulb Life - Projector Dipped Beam Lights

Seems as regular as clockwork, my xenon bulbs blow yearly, and each side within a week of one another. Has anyone else noticed this? I have had the same issues with other Rover models fitted with xenon bulbs not lasting too long. At £15+ a pair and some scraped knuckles it's a chore that I don't enjoy too much.
I can't recall the last time I have replaced a slightly less bright halogen bulb though!
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 12:03   #2
r44712
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 135 & ZR+ 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Seems as regular as clockwork, my xenon bulbs blow yearly, and each side within a week of one another. Has anyone else noticed this? I have had the same issues with other Rover models fitted with xenon bulbs not lasting too long. At £15+ a pair and some scraped knuckles it's a chore that I don't enjoy too much.
I can't recall the last time I have replaced a slightly less bright halogen bulb though!
Nope..you're not the only one to notice this. Always happens when the cold weather sets in.

My last ZT blew both of them in short succession, I'm just waiting for the 2nd one to go on my latest ZT anytime now, so I've decided to replace them both with the pair that arrived yesterday, and keep the 'good' one as a spare.

I think the bulbs must be overly-sensitive to voltage spikes, and when one goes it puts more load on the other cuasing that to go (my finance driving in front of me the other day said that the other seemed brighter) which adds to my theory.
r44712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 20:31   #3
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by r44712 View Post
Nope..you're not the only one to notice this. Always happens when the cold weather sets in.

My last ZT blew both of them in short succession, I'm just waiting for the 2nd one to go on my latest ZT anytime now, so I've decided to replace them both with the pair that arrived yesterday, and keep the 'good' one as a spare.

I think the bulbs must be overly-sensitive to voltage spikes, and when one goes it puts more load on the other cuasing that to go (my finance driving in front of me the other day said that the other seemed brighter) which adds to my theory.
It may be related to additional heat caused by the extra brightness from Xenon that places the bulb filament closer to it's operating limits.
I just received 4 new H7 zenon bulbs in the post today, 2 to be fitted now and 2 spares for the boot. Am I paranoid or what?
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 15:45   #4
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

Still on the same ones since I got car. Had the car 3 years as of 2 days ago and do about 12K miles a year. Have gone through a few number plate bulbs in this time as these seem to last about 12 months
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 23:22   #5
stef_uk
Gets stuck in

ZT75

i find that regular bulbs ie lucas etc can last from between 2 weeks to 3 months depending on your luck i then replaced them last year with philips extra life bells and wistles sort which lasted till last week..about 14 months, i have now fitted ring xenon bulbs...nice light...but time will tell how they last.