Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th December 2006, 19:03   #1
M47Rman
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 saloon 2.5 KV6 Conn SE Automatic

Default Front wiper arm travel

Hi all
I fitted new wiper blades to our 75 today, as the drivers side blade was smearing badly. I obtained a set of Bosch arms, of the correct specification, and complete with spoiler on the drivers side. However during fitting I noticed that each blade was approximately 5 to 10 mm longer than the old ones. After fitting I then tested the wipers, and lo and behold the drivers side wiper was contacting the windsreen surround, when it reached the end of its travel, in the vertical position. This I initially assumed to be due to the increased length of the new blades, but upon closer inspection, just below the point on the screen surround where the new blade is making contact, where two nicks in the rubber/plastic, where the OLD blades had previously been making contact.
When in the park position, the wipers are perfectly parallel with the base of the windscreen, and so are not obviously out of alignment.
I was going to remove the arm, and try to refit it in a slightly lower position, to try and prevent the wiper contacting the screen surround, but having removed the nut cover for the wiper arm, I could see no obvious spline or keyway.
So to the questions
Has anyone else had/ or has a problem with the wipers contacting the windscreen surround when in the vertical position?
How is the wiper arm located on the wiper hub, is it a spline or a keyway?
Is there any form of travel adjustment in the system, to reduce the length of the wiper sweep (arc)?
I have looked at my w/shop manual CD, and the section on the wiper system is very poor.
Anyone got any thoughts?
Andy
Old 18th December 2006, 09:23   #2
biggles
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M47Rman View Post
Hi all
I fitted new wiper blades to our 75 today, as the drivers side blade was smearing badly. I obtained a set of Bosch arms, of the correct specification, and complete with spoiler on the drivers side. However during fitting I noticed that each blade was approximately 5 to 10 mm longer than the old ones. After fitting I then tested the wipers, and lo and behold the drivers side wiper was contacting the windsreen surround, when it reached the end of its travel, in the vertical position. This I initially assumed to be due to the increased length of the new blades, but upon closer inspection, just below the point on the screen surround where the new blade is making contact, where two nicks in the rubber/plastic, where the OLD blades had previously been making contact.
When in the park position, the wipers are perfectly parallel with the base of the windscreen, and so are not obviously out of alignment.
I was going to remove the arm, and try to refit it in a slightly lower position, to try and prevent the wiper contacting the screen surround, but having removed the nut cover for the wiper arm, I could see no obvious spline or keyway.
So to the questions
Has anyone else had/ or has a problem with the wipers contacting the windscreen surround when in the vertical position?
How is the wiper arm located on the wiper hub, is it a spline or a keyway?
Is there any form of travel adjustment in the system, to reduce the length of the wiper sweep (arc)?
I have looked at my w/shop manual CD, and the section on the wiper system is very poor.
Anyone got any thoughts?
Andy
I had the same problem after having removed the wiper arms to remove the plenum cover. The wiper arms are fastened to the hubs via conical friction locks - no splines or keyways. Just pry off the plastic cover over the nut, undo it, wiggle the arm off, adjust, fasten, done. This assumes of course that you have room for adjustment at the other end of the wiper travel.

/Erik
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 10:46   #3
M47Rman
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
I had the same problem after having removed the wiper arms to remove the plenum cover. The wiper arms are fastened to the hubs via conical friction locks - no splines or keyways. Just pry off the plastic cover over the nut, undo it, wiggle the arm off, adjust, fasten, done. This assumes of course that you have room for adjustment at the other end of the wiper travel.

/Erik
Thanks for the info Erik. I think I have got some room for adjustment, so will have a play later. Will let you know how I get on.
Andy
Old 18th December 2006, 11:18   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

The conical washer under the nut is splined so you have lots of scope for adjustment

The wipers on all three of my cars just touch the screen surround but only just,no marks, I think the arm at rest may look a bit odd if adjusted too low to avoid them hitting

If you havent taken the arms off before how do you check you plenum drain?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 11:28   #5
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

There is no necessity to remove wiper arms to check plenum drains, just the three scuttle clips. It is in fact only necessary to remove 2 scuttle clips but the third tends to release itself.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 12:44   #6
M47Rman
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
There is no necessity to remove wiper arms to check plenum drains, just the three scuttle clips. It is in fact only necessary to remove 2 scuttle clips but the third tends to release itself.
Exactly why I am now missing one clip (the third one)! Once the three clips have been removed there is sufficient clearance to slide the tray (above the ECU) out from underneath the plennum cover. This then gives sufficient access to change the pollen filter and check the drains!
I have now removed one wiper arm, the drivers side, and have managed to refit it slightly lower, so that the blade no longer contacts the screen surround - mostly! There is no contact with the wipers on intermittent speeds, or speed one, but if I put them on full blast, there is a small amount of contact. Although I do not think there is now enough contact to mark the screen surround, so job done!:lol:
Andy
Old 18th December 2006, 12:52   #7
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by M47Rman View Post
Exactly why I am now missing one clip (the third one)! Once the three clips have been removed there is sufficient clearance to slide the tray (above the ECU) out from underneath the plennum cover. This then gives sufficient access to change the pollen filter and check the drains!
I have now removed one wiper arm, the drivers side, and have managed to refit it slightly lower, so that the blade no longer contacts the screen surround - mostly! There is no contact with the wipers on intermittent speeds, or speed one, but if I put them on full blast, there is a small amount of contact. Although I do not think there is now enough contact to mark the screen surround, so job done!:lol:
Andy
EYC101470PMA Clip - Black - windscreen scuttle panel (those 7 under windscreen scuttle panel clips we always lose -) )
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 15:21   #8
biggles
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The conical washer under the nut is splined so you have lots of scope for adjustment

The wipers on all three of my cars just touch the screen surround but only just,no marks, I think the arm at rest may look a bit odd if adjusted too low to avoid them hitting

One thing I realized after having a feel at the screen surround with wipers on and driving a bit faster (110 km/h) is that the wind forces the blades further out than when stationary.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote