Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd January 2019, 05:16   #121
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
I quite liked the hitchhiker, until I spotted the P6.
Not just any model!! That is Pamela Stephenson!!

Married to Billy Connolly.

Don’t they look young - and she gorgeous!

And the sad thing is I remember this and watched it when it first aired.

Remember the sketch they did to honour the SAS after they stormed that Embassy? Totally brilliant!!
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:26   #122
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
I regularly meet 4x4 drivers on the country roads and lanes where I live. Farmers in 4x4s tend to move over, if need be onto the verge, to let me pass in the Rover, and often in my 4x4. But "offcomers" in Chelsea tractors (blingy models with road tyres and side steps etc.) tend to be more bullying and inconsiderate. Unless they meet me in my 4x4. I will always move right over onto the verge, if necessary,for a 2wd car when driving the 4x4. But when I meet a 4x4, I expect them to put 2 wheels on the verge if I have to. As others have said, what is the point if you are not going to use it? I was with my daughter in her Polo, and a Freelander came bowling along the lane towards us, and past a passing place on his side. I told my daughter to just stop, on the road, but she paniced, put 2 wheels on the verge, and bogged. The Freelander slowed right down, and gingerly drove past us with 2 wheels on the opposite verge. I had to hitch a lift home, and get out my 4x4 to get my daughter's car un-stuck!
I like your road sense and driving etiquette, whilst showing consideration to other motorists. At one of the meets I went to a few years ago at The Star, a young lady pulled into the car park in a new Range Rover and parked across 2 spaces. I thought that was so unnecessary. Just the sort of thing that can get up people’s noses and can give the 4x4 fraternity a bad name.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 07:44   #123
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
I like your road sense and driving etiquette, whilst showing consideration to other motorists. At one of the meets I went to a few years ago at The Star, a young lady pulled into the car park in a new Range Rover and parked across 2 spaces. I thought that was so unnecessary. Just the sort of thing that can get up people’s noses and can give the 4x4 fraternity a bad name.
I have seen similar myself. Here we have a chav’ette that regularly parks her 4x4 in one of the disabled bays.

This is NOT typical of 4x4 drivers as a whole - but it is typical of the Pykie family she belongs to.
Old 23rd January 2019, 21:18   #124
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

My wife's car is a volvo xc60.

Very safe car, solid as they come
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2019, 21:57   #125
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Default Would you buy a heavy 4x4 for safety reasons

No.
WillyHeckaslike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2019, 19:44   #126
bigsi32

MG ZT

We used to have an XC90 and one afternoon a car of youths decided to force a crash to claim insurance, so they stopped dead in the middle of the road luckily I was concentrating and managed to swerve to the curb side, problem was the S-Class Mercedes that was coming up fast behind me was not expecting such a stop and hit me around 60mph (speed limit of the road) and rear ended us forcing us into the dicks in front. He ended up going wedging his car under ours, none of the air bags were deployed in ours, and my 8 month pregnant wife, myself and the 2 kinds in the back were fine (except my son cried as he dropped his sweets).

Anyway they wrote the S-Class off but repaired our car at over Ł7,000 of repairs (it was a 8 year old car).

Point is, the attending road police officer said if we were in any other car we would not have faired anywhere near as well. I have never felt as safe in that car as I have in any other, it was a little top heavy but then I didn’t drive it in the same way I do my MGs. It was hugely practical had some great features and a very strong Diesel engine and unlike a lot of modern ‘4x4s’ it was also pretty good off road which living in Suffolk is pretty important.
bigsi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 15:11   #127
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Should we have another thread that asks 'would you buy a heavy 4x4 when all you do is the school run, pop around your sisters, nip to the shops and run over to nice Maureen who does your hair and nails cheap as you pay her cash in hand'?
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 08:01   #128
Darcydog
This is my second home

Default On Radio Wiltshire this morning

Just before 7am this morning they were reporting on how 4x4 volunteers last year, helped the emergency services and local councils in a multitude of ways from ferrying medics about to spreading sand on OAP’s pathways.

It was an excellent interview that praised the volunteers and explained how useful a 4x4 is in conditions we had last year. The predictions are for some snow over the next few days.

They summarised by saying it was good to know that well equipped people are willing to put themselves out for others.

But no doubt that will not “cut any ice” (pun!!) with the anti 4x4 brigade
Old 29th January 2019, 10:06   #129
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

I dont know anyone who has bought a 4x4 for 'safety reasons', in my line of work I know a lot of people that own them, and I'm surprised at myself for responding to a statement as empty as that.

It's clear that some people on here have a deep dislike for the type of vehicle that others either need or prefer, and I have learned from these posts that this is largely based on size.
I wonder how these people feel about others living in big/leviathon/monstrous houses with expensive services and council tax bills, or whether they curl a lip at someone who tows a caravan over 14ft long, or mutter in disapproval when a diner orders a t-bone when a sirlion would suffice.

It's not my choice to drive a soft top. I can't see how I'd get full use out of it in our climate, I couldn't put up with the reduced rear vision, I suppose that the torsional rigidity of the shell, and possibly the impact or roll over strengths, are compromised.
One of my Aunts had three and never lowered the roof on any one, but she must have been sure they were for her by the time she bought the third, and good on her and to anyone who owns one.

My choice would be that people take the time to mind their own/grow up/be satisfied with theirs, it doesn't take much effort.
Old 29th January 2019, 11:32   #130
Brit
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

My original post was a tongue-in-cheek/sarcasm that a 4 x 4 which could be taken out by a Kia (with no life threatening injuries to the Kia occupants ) might give food for thought to anyone who thought a 4 x 4 might provide added protection in the event of an accident. Yes I know, I know, that it depends on the circumstances as has been well described here. As for snow I can just remember as a child the big winter of 1947 when transport was down to substantial wellington boots. I also experienced my first tobogganing and after contact with another sledge probably thought that I might have been safer in a bigger sledge. I was probably wrong
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote