Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th July 2019, 22:00   #1
Steven211
Regular poster

VW Golf TDI yawn

Default Head unit loom

I have just bought a ZT and when I bought it the prev owner said it used to have highline unit and he tried two head units...one looked like early 75 lowline unit, and the one it currently has is a CR80 unit. Neither worked originally as C0981 and C0391 were disconnected and plugs trapped. The red/green telephone wire has been pulled out of somewhere too. Anyway I don't think this had highline as pictures of highline head units I have seen have different plug connections. Any help as how difficult it would be to fit highline?

Last edited by Steven211; 10th July 2019 at 22:04..
Steven211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 19:03   #2
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

looks like most of the loom is there so should not be too much of a issue.there is a section the plugs into the bmw quadlock plug that connects up to the head unit.looks like the aerial has been extended to the front from the back.it would be worth checking in the boot area so see if all is ok there,i may have the missing section for the front end and i also have the head unit and cd player that i do not need.that will leave the tv module plus the radio module plus the nav drive.i liked the highline system it worked well however is now rather dated and cost wise you would be better of with a modern double din unit instead.
Old 12th July 2019, 12:07   #3
Steven211
Regular poster

VW Golf TDI yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk boy View Post
looks like most of the loom is there so should not be too much of a issue.there is a section the plugs into the bmw quadlock plug that connects up to the head unit.looks like the aerial has been extended to the front from the back.it would be worth checking in the boot area so see if all is ok there,i may have the missing section for the front end and i also have the head unit and cd player that i do not need.that will leave the tv module plus the radio module plus the nav drive.i liked the highline system it worked well however is now rather dated and cost wise you would be better of with a modern double din unit instead.
Okay thank you, I will have a proper look in the next week, luckily I am off on holiday. Yeah the highline is dated but I want to try and keep it original if I can.
Old 12th July 2019, 13:15   #4
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Looking at the second picture, the Brown & Grey ISO connectors and the cable with the LED on the end indicate that the original fitting could have been a Kenwood stereo.
The OE highline stereo (Symphony) uses the same ISO connectors, the OE highline navigation system has Blue & White connectors for the display monitor (C815 &C816).
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2019, 09:13   #5
Steven211
Regular poster

VW Golf TDI yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
Looking at the second picture, the Brown & Grey ISO connectors and the cable with the LED on the end indicate that the original fitting could have been a Kenwood stereo.
The OE highline stereo (Symphony) uses the same ISO connectors, the OE highline navigation system has Blue & White connectors for the display monitor (C815 &C816).
Thank you, I personally think it had a symphony to be honest as the chap brought out a symphony to try and it obviously never worked either as the loom wasn't plugged in. I will have to look more into the looms once I have sorted a few important things.
Old 14th July 2019, 18:04   #6
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

If the Original was a Symphony unit, there would also be the 20 pin mini ISO connector (Yellow, Green & Blue). I can't see the part number of the square box in the second photo, but it could be the unit that converts the Kenwood infra red signal for the steering wheel controls, that and the DIN plug makes me think that the original unit was a Kenwood.
If there is a Blue/Orange cable in pin 2 of the grey ISO connector and a Blue/Purple in pin 3, the steering wheel controls will work with a Symphony. The Red/Green cable has not been 'pulled out' as such, it is a for 'mute' connection if it is needed for a fitted telephone unit.

Last edited by raykay; 14th July 2019 at 20:29..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 07:55   #7
Steven211
Regular poster

VW Golf TDI yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
If the Original was a Symphony unit, there would also be the 20 pin mini ISO connector (Yellow, Green & Blue). I can't see the part number of the square box in the second photo, but it could be the unit that converts the Kenwood infra red signal for the steering wheel controls, that and the DIN plug makes me think that the original unit was a Kenwood.
If there is a Blue/Orange cable in pin 2 of the grey ISO connector and a Blue/Purple in pin 3, the steering wheel controls will work with a Symphony. The Red/Green cable has not been 'pulled out' as such, it is a for 'mute' connection if it is needed for a fitted telephone unit.
I think you are right as there was pins that had no plug to go into the symphony so I suspect these are the plugs you are talking about. Yes it is an infrared signal, it does not work with this radio, I suspect because Ivox may not be infrared? The more I think about it the more I think I may just get an android unit as they look OEM and will be easier.