Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th July 2019, 11:06   #191
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Hope Bob doesn't mind, but I just thought I'd leave these here:

Taken at the Clandon Car Show last Sunday. Not the greatest photos I've taken, but they do give an idea of how Banana is looking post re-spray. The poor car had braved a drive all the way from Cornwall, and then been driven to the show in pouring rain, but still managed to look magnificent when the sun finally decided to show up .

I took the opportunity to have a close inspection of the paintwork and have to agree with the verdict of Sonic ZS: The bodyshop have done an exceptionally good job with the paintwork. I could find no trace of overspray, masking lines, sanding marks, "fish eyes", or "orange peel" (and believe me I tried !) neither could I see any tell tale signs from the final polish: no buffer trails or holograms at all. Just acres of beautiful paintwork.

The photos of Banana in the bodyshop gave the impression that the bumper was sprayed whilst still on the car, and the reversing sensors where simply sprayed over. Not sure what the story is behind those photos, but on close inspection, that really doesn't seem to be the case .

I know Bob has had a few teething issues since getting here home, but the bodyshop are doing the right thing and fixing those few niggles that he had found, so all is good.

It pains me to say it, but ..... Flying Banana is beautiful .

She ideally needs a bit of detailing here and there from Bob (I'm talking perhaps the odd new badge etc, not paint related) but I'm being really picky here, and I've no doubt once Bob has got himself properly settled into his new home every last detail will be attended to.

Bob, she's a real credit to you and looks magnificent. Now you just have to put up some extra shelving for trophies and certificates .

Cliff

Many thanks for those kind remarks Cliff. She is my pride and joy and hopefully one day she will outshine the Lagoon under the bonnet.

Thanks for the lovely photo’s.

I’ll get the small problems fixed as I go along.

Again Many Thanks.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 01:09   #192
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
It's very interesting to read certain posts on here, regarding the level of professionalism used in the repainting of Banana

Having spent almost 20 years working at main dealers, part of which was in the bodyshop (dealing with both body and paint), it amazes me how people can be so critical of the finish whilst sitting behind a computer, yet would buy a new car and never give the paint a second look ! Very few vehicles are lacquered under the bonnet nowadays, some not even getting colour in the engine bay, yet buyers don't bat an eyelid as 'that's how they are now, sir/madam'.

As you know Bob, I have absolutely no connection with A&M Restorations, but have seen their work first hand (not just on a screen ) and can say it is about as good as you'll get.

A full respray is a massively complex job if done properly, and faults can arise (exactly as they can with a brand new £100,000 Audi, Jag or BMW), but it's how that issue is dealt with that's important.

Professional spraying of modern colours and finishes is a real skill to have and takes many years to truly master, and I wonder just how much knowledge those critisising actually have of such processes ? So don't let the doom merchant's comments take the shine of the new paint job Bob !

People are critical because the standards of bodywork and general skills now in the UK are abysmal. Not only that, the charge for such work does not correlate with the standard either. Is there even a certified standard or qualification for these guys at all, or is it just make it up as you go along?

It is the same old story, one person on the internet says xyz body shop is "amazing, 30 years experience" etc etc, yawn... yet I actually had first hand experience of a bodyshop mentioned in this thread, and the work was about as **ss poor as it is possible to get. I literally could have done better myself with rattle cans.

Peoples opinions of these places will always vary though and that will never change! As long as some people are happy, all good!

Last edited by T16; 11th July 2019 at 01:21..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 01:36   #193
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
If I could be bothered I would setup my own spray booth and just do it myself to a proper standard, but alas I don't have the time or patience.
Or I suspect the skill either

I built a 25'x12' spray booth, with twin 24" devilbiss flameproof low level water bath extraction, equipped with a 200 CFM Kaiser screw compressor with refrigerant air dryer, Norgren Olympian regulator and a Devilbiss DVB-1 HVLP gun.

Lots of people can paint, I cannot, however there are lots of people who say they are professional painters, when in reality they are mediocre.

I cut ties with just such an individual, who's constant boasting about his skills, were in no way backed up by his ability, and woe betide you if you dared criticise his work

I had my Firefrost 75 painted by these people LINK and their workshops were spotless, the workmanship flawless, and indistinguishable from the factory finish in every respect.

You pay your money and take your chances with repainting a car

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 16:45   #194
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool ....................and now we have had

................................... a Ceramic Coating done by Devils Detailing. I never asked to have this done but Karl Hooley, owner of Devil Hooley, offered to come and do the Ceramic Coating as he thought the legend that is “The Flying Banana” deserved it. His words not mine.

Karl and his sidekick turned up at 09.30 this morning having set out from their home in Lancaster at 03.30 this morning. After a loo visit and a cuppa they set about the transformation.
First job was to remove the wax. I left them to do this and got on with gardening.
I popped out to see if they wanted a drink to find them putting the base coat of the Ceramic Coating on.

Wow! What a shine. But Karl said that after the base coat was applied they would then put the shine enhancer on. But the base coat takes about 60 minutes to completely dry. So with more tea made, I went back to my gardening. I did take some photo’s.
They stopped for lunch, they had brought there own. And we waited for the top coat to go on.

I was working in my little office when Lindsey, Karl’s sidekick, called out to me and said they were putting on the top coat and Karl wanted to show me how to apply it as I would need to top up the shine a few times over the next couple of years. He was leaving me a bottle of the top coat at no charge.
Well all I can say is she shines even more.

Karl had done me a deal and I was happy to part with a bit more money on my car.
And I said that Karl could use the photo’s that I would post up on his website. Love helping out one man businesses to achieve.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 16th July 2019 at 17:24.. Reason: Additions
Old 16th July 2019, 17:40   #195
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool A few photo’s.........

....................... of today’s work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4EAB532E-8188-4BFF-BD5F-D431BEA1BBBB.jpg (18.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 246E7BDA-B6C8-4FFF-B2E7-822A4F2D3692.jpg (19.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 7CE878AF-91A6-4CD9-81F6-6E7FCB56D5E3.jpg (19.8 KB, 59 views)

onen hag oll
Old 16th July 2019, 18:59   #196
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Jealousy is a very bad thing...................

But I just can't control it!
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 19:23   #197
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

That second photo is a corker Bob - really shows off the quality of the new paintwork. Now you know it's properly properly protected you can sleep easy.

Good job all round .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 19:29   #198
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedTeeT View Post
Jealousy is a very bad thing...................

But I just can't control it!
I best not let you see her close up then. Could be bad for your heart.

onen hag oll
Old 19th July 2019, 16:36   #199
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Absolutely stunning Bob.

From the photographs it look like it's brand new, so jealous.

I made a comment about Les Finnie's car on Facebook saying I wouldn't stand a chance if mine was next to his, he just laughed.

Imagine your two cars together now, that would be a site to behold.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote