Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd July 2019, 13:35   #1
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Banana on tour...................

................................. Yes this will be The Flying Banana’s first proper tour after her recent visit to be fitted with a new coat of paint.
The main reason for the trip is to attend the Macmillan Nurses Charity car show which is being held at Clandon Hall near Guildford on Sunday.

But there will be a few other trips arranged. Friday will see us drive to Dartford in Kent to visit my lovely friends. Saturday will be shanks pony day. Train trip to meet up with my cousins in East London, then get the train to that very old village called Barkingside to visit a couple of friends in The New Fairlop Oak, aka Wetherspoons. I have no intention of returning to the flat. That was yesterday, I’m now living for today and the tomorrows.

Sunday sees us at the show. Monday is on hold at the moment, was supposed to be visiting my niece in her new home. But sadly her future father in law has unexpectedly passed away on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. So I might travel up and see my god daughter in a Earls Colne.
I do hope to attend the NLMG club house at the Botany Bay Cricket Club in North London on Monday evening.

Will be staying with Michael though. No doubt I’ll have a few beers with him.
I will also be visiting “my Val” in the cemetery in Totteridge. Not been there since Xmas last. Missed a couple of anniversaries that are special to us.

The plan is to leave home about 10am and head up the A38-M5-M4-Car Park-A1 and onto Totteridge.
So should you see what looks like the sun bombing along at Warp Factor Three don't forget to wave, toot or flash those soon to be restored headlights.

Washed and watered, just me that is. Starting mileage is 203,723.
I’ll keep the diary going as we have lots of listeners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74BD7A5D-1090-45F0-94E2-B7BF901E58BA.jpg (20.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg D5B00D70-E2FE-4769-B83A-8A83199B449D.jpg (20.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 004C53FB-C7DD-4C0E-8D3E-0B55110DAC75.jpg (20.0 KB, 39 views)

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 3rd July 2019 at 14:15.. Reason: Added mileage
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2019, 21:33   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

The iconic ‘Banana’ rises again. Glad your prized possession is now back to seeing the world. Happy days ahead. Bottoms up Bob.
Old 4th July 2019, 13:51   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Got a wave from.........................

........................................ a forum member Nathancann in his Anthracite CDTi ZT on the A38.
Banana ran ever so sweet on the 254 run up to Michaels. The closer we got to London the hotter the outside temperature, reached 27.5 at one point.
Not much in the way of traffic, even the M25 was light.

Did see one nasty accident between 17 & 18 on the M4, was on the other side of the motorway. The tailbacks were nearly 5 miles long.
Saw a hunting pack of MG3’s, ok so they was on a transporter. But other than the ZT and a ZR I never saw any other MG Rovers.

Why do people leave to the last minute to pull out to overtake a slower vehicle. You can see the obstacles from a distance, I pull out well in advance and give them plenty of room before pulling back.
I had one idiot behind me who was either nodding off or texting on his phone. I could see his head bobbing up and down.
Couple of lorry drivers with their iPads resting on their steering wheels.

As we got closer to London a convoy of unmarked Police cars flew past with blues and two’s on. And another convoy of them heading towards Essex on the M25.

Still the main thing is we got here safe and sound. I’ve left Banana in the road as the drive way is so overgrown it’s hard to spot where it starts and where it ends.
Tea made, waiting for Michael to come home from work. Might see if he wants to “pop” along to the local watering hole.

Thanks for reading.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
Old 4th July 2019, 13:57   #4
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Enjoy all those trips Bob, I'm sure Banana will.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2019, 16:18   #5
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts
Cool

Great stuff Bob, see you and the Banana Sunday mate
Born Monday, 16th June 2003 @ 14:30:35
This vehicle was the 9,196th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 576th ZT 180 + to be made out of 828
This vehicle was the 871st ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2019, 16:30   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

It would be good if you could bring yourself and ‘nana up to one of the Midlands nano meets later this year Bob? I am sure there would be an admiring crowd. We have a chap in our road who has a sunspot MG. I could ask him if he would come and meet his half brother.
Old 4th July 2019, 17:15   #7
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
It would be good if you could bring yourself and ‘nana up to one of the Midlands nano meets later this year Bob? I am sure there would be an admiring crowd. We have a chap in our road who has a sunspot MG. I could ask him if he would come and meet his half brother.
Ok, I’ll endeavour to attend one weekend. Got a busy schedule over the next month or two but I’ll see what I can arrange.

onen hag oll
Old 5th July 2019, 07:17   #8
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Sure sign I’m back in London....................

......................................... the hay fever has kicked in big time or is it just the amount of pollution up here. Luckily I had brought my tablets and eye drops with me. So at least I have now stopped the sneezing and runny nose. Plus the eyes have stopped itching.

After Michael returned home from work yesterday, he works one day every two weeks in the City of London. He had not the best of journeys home on the tube. So I made him a cup of tea, then another one and then a third. I suggested a wander up to the Orange Tree up on the common. And that is where we eventually ended up. Had a few swift pints, had to get a bank loan out to pay the price of a pint in this neck of the woods.

Back to the house where Michael crema......................., cooked dinner. And we had a bottle of wine. Now the eyes were getting tired, so once we had cleared up it was fluffy clouds time for me.
Didn’t take a lot of rocking. The birds whistling in the trees or was it my bladder that woke me up this morning.

Off up to the shops a bit later, need to get some flowers to take over to my friends wife in Kent later today. Plus I want to see if I can get my favourite single malt in Waitrose, as the Waitrose in Saltash doesn’t stock it.
I managed to clear some of the weeds yesterday and got Banana onto the drive.

Thanks for reading and the kind comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 960DCCD7-9396-4F95-8850-F4A40DD0C5A8.jpg (19.8 KB, 23 views)

onen hag oll
Old 6th July 2019, 05:45   #9
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool The joys of the M25.....................

................................... never ceases to amaze me.
Left Michaels at 12.30 for the 45 minute drive to my mates house in Dartford via the A1 and M25. And it took nigh on two hours. The ski jump over the River Thames was clear but getting there was a slow and painful drive.

Between junction 23, where I joined, and junction 27 it was incredibly slow. The reason was an accident on the other side of the car park between a Junction 27 & 28. Perishing rubber neckers, just unfortunate accident where some poor soul possibly was injured or worse.
But once past it was a green light all the way to Dartford.
Obviously the tailback on the other side was just as bad as the one I had endured but there’s was for a reason, two lanes blocked off.

Once over the ski jump we take the second exit off and Bear left towards the hospital but turn right just before and go down the hill and across the Darenth valley.
Pulled up outside my mates house with two wheels up on the pavement as it is a very narrow road with cars parked either side, had I’d been staying the night then I could have pinched the LandRovers spot on the hard standing.

Soon inside with the flowers I had bought for Lisa along with a bottle of Mulberry gin for her. I gave John a special bottle of Irish Whiskey I had come across awhile ago plus I cad a 12 bottle case of Rattler cider for him.
Then I brought the box containing my entire model aircraft collection that I was giving their son John Louis. But first I had one other gift to give to my favourite dog, Sapphire, a box of doggie treats. John had told me on the phone which ones to buy for her.
Sapphire is a failed Police dog and a loveable German Shepherd. When I lived in Essex I used to look after her occasionally. Such a well mannered and lovely dog. She will be 7 in September.

You had to see John Louis face when I gave him the box. One of the rare occasions he was dumbstruck. There are a few very special model aircraft within the box. 2 Hawker Hurricanes signed by there two WW2 pilots. A Lancaster with the signatures of the entire crew who served on this particular aircraft. John Louis and his dad took the box upstairs to put them out on display. But there was a few of the models that had suffered damage over the years in my ownership that he could play with.

And John Louis had a surprise for me. A relative had bought him a model kit of a C130 Hercules plane. And this little boy wanted me to build it for him. He had saved the model for me since Easter. A privilege to build it. Luckily for me it was already painted and it was held together with screws so no paint or glue required. Just a spot of patience and a lot of swear words.

To be continued.................

onen hag oll
Old 6th July 2019, 07:38   #10
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Banana reached another landmark yesterday................

................................................. when she tripped over onto 204,000 miles.

The original plan whilst in Kent was to go out for a meal but John decided to put the bbq on. So whilst he got with that, Lisa made the salad, John Louis bounced around on his trampoline and I effed and blinded whilst build the model. How on earth the makers could expect a young child to build this let alone me. The instructions were a bit vague and the Allen bolts and nuts were fiddly. But having built so many models over the years I soon got into the groove of building.

John had put The a Rattler in the fridge and I allowed myself just one bottle as I had to drive back to Michaels, I could have stayed over but probably wouldn’t have woken up till Monday.
The bbq was on the go and the salad and new pots were ready.
It was lovely sitting out on the decking overlooking the Darenth Valley. Sitting under the huge umbrella my mind started to wander back to the happier days when we used to party out on this decking when my Val was still with us.

The memories came flooding back, Lisa gave me a nudge and handed me a tissue as she had noticed the memories rolling down my cheeks. She too said that she often sat here and her memories would roll down. This house was a Mum’s and before that her Grandmothers, so lots of memories of the good times.
We both had a wander down memory lane and only was interrupted by the cry of, “GRUBS UP”. There will always be memories.

The bbq was very enjoyable and the Rattler went down a treat. Sapphire is well behaved and does not beg for food. She had found a nice cool spot and was happy to snore. John Louis squirted his water pistol at her but she never moved. Not a care in the world.
The plates were washed up and put away. It was nearing John Louis bedtime and he said to me, “Uncle Bob, you don’t have to finish my model plane this evening you can do that the next time you come to visit us. I’ll get daddy to put it up on the shelf and wait for your return. And Uncle Bob Thank You very much for my model aircraft. I promise to look after them”. All that from a 6 year old, and more tears from me.

John Louis gave me a hug and a kiss before he went off to bed. Such a lovely and well mannered young man. Bless him.
Once Mum and Dad had said there good nights to there son we sat out on the decking and chatted. They both agreed that I looked very happy and relaxed now that I had a new home. They both said that they knew in their hearts that if I did not move from the flat then those stairs would eventually injure or kill me.
I had to admit that moving into the new house was the second happiest moment in my life, the first being our wedding back in 1993.

We sat and made future arrangements for them to come and visit me before the year is out. The aircraft building was put on hold. And I had another cup of tea before getting ready to leave. Lisa gave me a huge hug and kiss and said she would see me soon. I said that she was looking so well after what she has been through. Her battle with the Big C has had her coming out on the winning side.
John walked me up to Banana who sat there patiently waiting for the off. John said the paintwork looked fabulous.
Whilst we said our goodbyes Sapphire appeared and I gave her stroke, her fur was so cool in the evening sun. She went for a wee on next doors dustbin. Good girl!!!

With that I was leaving. The drive home was pleasant in the cool of the evening. The widow just slightly open just enough to let the right amount of breeze in. We was soon at South Mimms and down onto the A1. Left towards Arkley and right at the Gate pub. And into Totteridge lane. Didn’t bother putting Banana on the drive. Parked up up behind Michaels battered chariot. Indoors and straight to bed ‘cos I was so tired. Michael had already turned in but he had left all the lights on for me.

Slept right round to 6am this morning.
Up and showered. Clean clothes on. On the Tube today so Banana can have a rest.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll