Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th June 2024, 05:05   #1
Frieduum-sikar

Rover 75 Saloon

Default An easier way to access Balance VIS motor

Since acquiring the 75 I had on occasions to remove the Balance VIS for various reasons such as replacing it and then later working on it for the self test button mod. Never looked forward to it because it was always a nightmare to remove a couple of the screws...doable obviously but a real pain.

Then it occured to me recently that the device adjacent to VIS was the cruise control...now I wondered if I could just move that access would be so much better....I could actually get my hands in there! Basically the bracket of the Cruise Control it held by three nuts. Once removed, the electrical connection unplugged, it can just be swung out the way.

Albeit to say, the lower nut of the three is rather difficult to reach....so an executive decision was made not to put that nut back as three nuts seemed to be real overkill...not much load of any type on the bracket any way....but hey, the whole excercise was to make life easier right?

This was to me a revelation....but for those that already do this as a matter of course (unbolt and swing the CC out the way) and are now probably rolling their eyes.....well, I just had to mention it because I had never read it mentioned anywhere here on any posts dealing with VIS motors. I only wish I had, I would have done this from the start!

Anyway, thanks for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5746.jpg (142.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5747.jpg (138.3 KB, 32 views)
Frieduum-sikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2024, 05:29   #2
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

I think that’s the traction control motor not Cruise and was an optional extra on some cars so not all V6 owners will have the problem, but having said that yes it’s a good tip and I’ve done exactly this before with mine
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2024, 06:23   #3
Frieduum-sikar

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the reply...I had to look again to make sure....it must the CC as there is a cable from it over to the opposite side from the regular throttle cable on the throttle body. Anyway, either way, for all intents and purposes....it is so good to know that I can remove it to easily access the Balance VIS in future. Cheers
Old 9th June 2024, 07:28   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Smile It's traction control!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieduum-sikar View Post
... it must the CC as there is a cable from it over to the opposite side from the regular throttle cable on the throttle body.
Hi Joseph,

To explain, the cruise control is not cable operated. It uses a narrow bore vacuum tube which is connected to a diaphragm actuator with a rod directly connected to the throttle linkage. This is all on the same side of the throttle body as the accelerator cable.

The unit you have removed for improved access to the balance VIS actuator is indeed the traction control actuator as Reebs has advised. This closes a secondary throttle butterfly using a cable to the outboard side of the throttle body housing.

If you want to locate the position of the cruise control vacuum pump it's positioned low down below the unit you've removed.

Simon
Old 9th June 2024, 12:14   #5
Frieduum-sikar

Rover 75 Saloon

Many thanks to Reebs & SD1too for pointing out the difference between the two devices...I've learned many things from this forum, this is yet another. Cheers
Old 10th June 2024, 07:16   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Just to add, bluetac is your friend when refitting the lower nut on the TC unit. Helps hold the nut in your socket whilst you get It in position.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote