Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th July 2011, 20:19   #1
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

Default faults,and more faults

well just been out in the car after its been fixed its been sitting outside for 6 weeks as i have another vehicle strange to drive,brakes very spongy anyway the front spring snapped wrecked a shocker and link arm so they have been replaced the front end now looks like a weird 4x4 rover hybrid,i assume this is because the cars been jacked up and the suspension has not rested just took it out for a run but its still high? any thoughts or am i being impatient and it will return to its normal ride height? fault 2 i have had a long running saga with the abs kicking early so had the codes read i replaced the passenger side front and rear sensors and wheel bearings faults still the same but weirdly no abs light on the fuse is out at the mo as its irritating me the only theory i have is that i changed the front pads and discs a while back when i wound back the calipers could i have flipped the master cylinder?this would account for the spongy but otherwise working fine brake pedal the car has passed a mot in the mean while i am at a loss

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 20:50   #2
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

For my 2cents worth, did my springs on the 75 and no visible diff. in ride height, it should settle by the first corner.

It is possible that the calipers/pipes were removed to remoce the strut, they do not need to be. This would cause the spongy brakes.

Craig
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 20:51   #3
mark d3
This is my second home

thanks craig

Old 7th July 2011, 21:22   #4
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

if it hasnt settled after a weeks worth of driving, then id be a little concerned about the spring. if youve only changed one, they you have also got to remember that one is unsettled and and brand new, the other is very settled and x years old, so they wont be the same height, which is why it is recomended they are changed in pairs.

brakes could be spongy because of of rust on the discs. if its the first time its been driven it needs time to remove all the corrosion and rust.
if you flipped the seals, your brakes probably wouldnt work at all...

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 21:39   #5
mark d3
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
if it hasnt settled after a weeks worth of driving, then id be a little concerned about the spring. if youve only changed one, they you have also got to remember that one is unsettled and and brand new, the other is very settled and x years old, so they wont be the same height, which is why it is recomended they are changed in pairs.

brakes could be spongy because of of rust on the discs. if its the first time its been driven it needs time to remove all the corrosion and rust.
if you flipped the seals, your brakes probably wouldnt work at all...
thanks rrobson noticed in your header you dont have a 75 anymore sound advice though what happend to your car mate?

Old 7th July 2011, 21:49   #6
rrobson

its been nearly a year now (i cant believe it) but couldnt afford to insure it. when insurance prices went up, mine almost doubled to 2k, so i got rid. looking at getting a zt now ive nearly got an extra years no claims but we will see what happens. will be a diesel this time though.
as a little extra regarding your problems, ive no idea why your abs would be coming in early, but give everything a week and if its still not right, then investigate a little deeper

Old 7th July 2011, 21:55   #7
mark d3
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
its been nearly a year now (i cant believe it) but couldnt afford to insure it. when insurance prices went up, mine almost doubled to 2k, so i got rid. looking at getting a zt now ive nearly got an extra years no claims but we will see what happens. will be a diesel this time though.
as a little extra regarding your problems, ive no idea why your abs would be coming in early, but give everything a week and if its still not right, then investigate a little deeper
thanks, sad to hear the insurance are taking the urine,i should have said the abs is a old issue

Old 7th July 2011, 22:11   #8
rrobson

i think you did in your first post, but i still dont know why
the only reason i can think of the abs kicking in early is because or either a highly corroded reluctor ring (and the sensir thinks its stopped when it really hasnt) or a faulty sensor, which you say is ok because there arent any fault codes.
if after a week it still sits high on one side, it may be worth replacing the other side. a pain because its more money but should make both the same. check your rear springs while your at it because either could be broken without you knowing (one was on mine, and it passed an mot!). hopefully they are both ok.

but tell me about it. it was as much to insure my 75 last year as it is to insure my current car this year! i deliberately didnt comment on that other blokes thread (about having to get rid of his car because of insurance prices) because it winds me up. i did however do the advanced driving course this year, so that should bring it down quite a bit.

Old 8th July 2011, 09:52   #9
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

Regarding your brakes I remember BigRuss saying that you can get air trapped in the ABS unit, this has to be bled with a T4.

I wonder if this is the cause of both your ABS and your spongey brakes problem??

Chris
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote