Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st December 2023, 18:53   #11
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Cold weather conditions , seem to be a factor here,with lots going with the onset of winter. We had quite a few during the winter months over the years on here , but not so many now that winters are warmer. Driving off from cold starts seemed to be a common event when springs went . There was also a bulletin from Rover issued regarding the use of cold aerosol spray on the springs ... the cold fluid being suspected of damage to the springs !!
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2023, 19:17   #12
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff130 View Post
I think it depends on where the spring breaks, I have had a couple go without protectors and no issues but it was only a small part of the bottom coil that broke each time. Nothing like the the picture from Matt.
Exactly right geoff130. Most going on the bottom area of the spring, rendering the fitted protector pretty much useless, but better than nothing ... i suppose !! ..
Old 31st December 2023, 19:21   #13
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_75 View Post
I believe the protectors were part of an official safety recall (R/2004/036). If that's the case, owner's might want to consider the following advice from the AA:

"You must maintain your car in a safe and roadworthy condition, so ignoring a safety recall could leave you open to a charge of ‘using a defective vehicle’. It could affect any insurance claim you might make too."

https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cove...20instructions.
You say recall but my Rover 75 is an April 2006 reg

The next part of the discussion may be around a rumour that Rover kept manufacturing and selling cars after a recall and that needed a recall
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2024, 10:28   #14
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverconfident View Post
The holes must have served a different purpose, presumably as drain holes to prevent water puddling in the spring seat. If that is so, then fitting the protectors blocks the drain holes and will cause increased corrosion of the spring seat in the long run, as will the trapping of water between the spring seat and the protector. Is there any experience of this?
It's possible that the lower hole may have been a drain hole, but the upper one seems to be on a raised section, so wouldn't be. Does anyone know if there is another hole on the opposite side of the strut?

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the problem was blamed on a bad batch of springs. If that was the case, surely the correct course of action would have been to replace the springs, rather than fit something which may protect the tyre when the spring does eventually break.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2024, 12:55   #15
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo138 View Post
It's possible that the lower hole may have been a drain hole, but the upper one seems to be on a raised section, so wouldn't be. Does anyone know if there is another hole on the opposite side of the strut?

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the problem was blamed on a bad batch of springs. If that was the case, surely the correct course of action would have been to replace the springs, rather than fit something which may protect the tyre when the spring does eventually break.
Hmmm, on my RWD 260 The Fine German Engineering for the spring seat incorporates the upper drain hole (where no water is present) but none at the lower level. I've drilled one before fitting new units but an inspection mid 2023 shows corrosion once again on/in the pan seat. A broken front spring (original) took out the tyre (grooved but thankfully stayed inflated).
Not impressed considering my Triumphs are still on original springs (47 years now).
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2024, 16:56   #16
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Not impressed considering my Triumphs are still on original springs (47 years now).
Kev
I've been running MGBs and Midgets for the last 40 years and have never known a broken spring, either my own or anyone else's.

The design was different, though. The spring seat was flat and the last coil at each end was flattened and chamfered, so that it sat on the flat seat.

They were probably more expensive to manufacture, but breakages were unheard of.

daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2024, 13:06   #17
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
I've been running MGBs and Midgets for the last 40 years and have never known a broken spring, either my own or anyone else's.

The design was different, though. The spring seat was flat and the last coil at each end was flattened and chamfered, so that it sat on the flat seat.

They were probably more expensive to manufacture, but breakages were unheard of.

Good pic Dave, shows the massive difference. Cheaper spring with higher failure rate fitted to production cars (not just MGR vehicles) which gives me the impression that a couple of quid is all I'm worth.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2024, 14:08   #18
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Dont know if the holes in the photos are some of the mounting holes that were pre-drilled in these for the tyre protectors or not without checking. They may have been drilled for drainage so as trapped water did not turn to ice , in certain countries , that may inhibit the springs movement .. just a thought .
Old 5th January 2024, 10:47   #19
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
It was something like that. The design of the protectors was first discussed by Club member 'norfie' in December 2011. He was in the MGR development team working on the issue. See this old thread:
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=99965
If he notices the current discussion he may hopefully comment more.

After MGR's spring supply problem, I guess breakage rates would have returned to the 'national average'. Springs used in vehicles from any manufaturer show a cyclical trend in breakage rates. Rates in the UK were studied and reported by the AA several years ago (unfortunately the article is no longer available online) and were shown to follow the following pattern (my drawing of the AA chart).

The underlying cause of spring fractures has also been studied in detail and it's more complicated than you might think. For anyone interested in such stuff, there are plenty of technical articles and research papers to be found via a Google search.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2024, 21:31   #20
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Springs are hardened and tempered during manufacture when the steel bar undergoes a great deal of stress whilst being formed. They then live a funny life constantly 'stretching' and 'compressing' and also being cyclicly twisted (or torqued) at a wide range of frequencies. The steel has macro cracks at the surface and of course in service they are horribly exposed to the British elements.
The fact that they tend to fail during the winter ie cold weather leads me to believe small droplets of water under certain conditions freeze in the cracks and not only promote corrosion (as contaminated water) but as ice act like mini wedges which tend to slightly/progressively extend the existing cracks; eventually as we know they [always] fail as typical 45deg shear fractures.
Mine, which could well be original, are coming off in the summer and getting a good dose of shot peening and a fresh coat of paint (any suggestion as to what is the best sort of paint for this?).
I have a 3 year old set of DMGRS replacement struts fitted but for some vague reason the spring protectors will not fit/seat over the spring collars so I'm stuck with a nasty risk should the old springs decide to break.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote