Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st February 2020, 13:07   #1
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Default Aggresive car seller

Yesterday a friend and neighbour asked me if I was busy and if not could I help. He is in the middle of moving house and had sold his car. The purchaser wanted to take delivery before its replacement is ready, so could I give him a lift to look at one he was considering buying to get him over the car less gap. He worked in the vehicle moving industry and has trade plates so he can insure and drive stuff immediately so it was a case of take him to look, if its OK he will drive it back.

Went to look at a Focus at a garage he knows for trade. It was junk with a failed water pump and water leaking at a massive rate. So desperate he found a Volvo V40 diesel with a Face Book seller. Off we went to look.

Looked ok in the flesh so asked to test it. Clouds of thick black smoke and no power. My advice was lets walk that's not worth even considering, going to need a lot of work to sort it out. Seller immediately got very aggressive nothing wrong with it, head gasket hasn't gone. We said who mentioned head gasket, it could be anything, he then started saying Turbos good nothing wrong with it. injectors ok if they weren't the engine light would be on. Told him he was a dick and didn't know much about cars, his reply I've got 18 here to sell ????

Jay (my mate) said ok calm down lets have a look under the bonnet and check it out in case it is something simple. He had already decided it wasn't coming with us but just get him clamed. Ok he says so Jay goes to open the bonnet. Seller aggressively says its not been started for a couple of weeks it only needs a service. Anyway the bonnet catch just comes away in jays hand pulling out the cable. He looks at it and says to me it looks like its been snipped to stop it opening, a clean cut no fraying. At that point seller walks off in a huff.

Found an Astra auto estate 10 mins later round the corner private sale. First to see it so he sold it to Jay and gave him the contacts of another guy who was coming over later so he can offer it to him when he's finished with it next week when his Nissan arrives, so it all ended well.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2020, 15:01   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

All that hassle for a week! Would have been easier to hire a car surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21st February 2020, 15:31   #3
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Probably under normal conditions but he was concerned about damaging a hire car moving things to his new house. They are moving gradually as he does some refurbs on the new place and so carrying tools wood paint plaster etc so an oldish car to resell cheaper and safer. Because of his job he does some buying selling of cars himself and picks up trade bargains does anything needed if required uses them for a few months and then makes a few pounds moving them on. Keeps his Focus ST in pristine condition and ferries his 7 kids around in the cheapies.
Old 21st February 2020, 21:03   #4
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Even hiring a van for a week may have been an idea.
Old 22nd February 2020, 12:41   #5
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Thing is Rich, the way he looks at it the cost to hire of a van is all gone when you take it back, the car gets sold and he gets all or most of his money back and possibly a profit.