Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th February 2020, 20:20   #11
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
If it is a Mk1 75 and you can manage to pop the scrivets that hold the grill on at the top and remove the grill then there is a chance you could get to the two bolts that hold the pin onto the bonnet.
(
If its a MK2 then its easier, Just undo the two 10mm bolts holding the bayonet with a bent spanner.
CMOORESY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2020, 20:22   #12
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

DO NOT CUT ANYTHING, YOU DO NOT NEED A HACKSAW OR TO PULL YOUR GRILL OFF TO DO THIS PROPERLY!!!

There is some well meaning but poor advice written about this simple task.

This task can be carried out in about 20 mins without any damage to your car whatsoever.

So, assuming that its not the junction box that's the problem and its at the latch or a broken/rusted cable at fault -

Firstly, I have only experienced a rusted through bonnet cable on two facelift cars however, I cant see it being much different on a pre-facelifts?

OK -

Get a crappy old 10mm spanner and bend the head (see image).

https://i156.photobucket.com/albums/...pstl2tbap8.jpg

Release the bonnet latch to fee up the side of the bonnet that still works (so the good unbroken latch is released)

Put some tape around the bonnet and the bumper in the area of the broken bonnet latch and bayonet so as not to mark the paint should you slip with the spanner or something, highly unlikely, but just in case.

Wrap a short piece of wood or something similar in a soft rag to make a wedge. This is inserted between the bumper and the leading edge of the bonnet on the released side with the intention of -
1. making the bonnet to bumper gap bigger
2. putting an upward force on the bonnet

Now get your bent 10mm spanner and a torch. locate the bayonet on the broken side, put the spanner though the gap and carefully undo the two 10mm bolts on the underside of the bonnet. Its a bit fiddly, but you can do it.

Alternate from one bolt to the other, this way, each turn will give you more room to work, as the bonnet is forced up by the wedge that you have put in place on the opposite side. Slide the wedge along to keep the upward force on the bonnet as you undo the bolts.

Once the two bolts are unscrewed the bonnet will pop open with the bayonet still in the catch on the slam panel.

This can be released by inserting a small screwdriver in the latch between the plunger and the catch to push the catch back thus releasing the plunger.

now you can fix the cable etc.

The thing that slows this down is the limited access due to the lip on the bayonet fixing plate, as a precaution, you can remove and flatten the leading edges of each bayonet bracket once the bonnet is open, then if it happens again, you can do the job in about 5 mins and not 20 mins, and you wont need the bent spanner (see image of flattened leading bayonet plates on my car)

https://i156.photobucket.com/albums/...psj5asreen.jpg

Simple, nothing broken or damaged and everything reusable.
I posted this how to on here years ago, so cant understand why there is still poor advice circulating.

Last edited by CMOORESY; 18th February 2020 at 21:26..
Old 18th February 2020, 21:18   #13
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Well, you learn something new everyday, It would help of course if the links worked for the photo of the spanner angle
As an aside all advice is given on here in good faith and if somebody knows a better way to do things then it is good to learn.
Can you point me to the how to you did please as I still cannot seem to find it
I was part of the team who spent an awful long time attempting to undo the striker pins at the nano to no avail and yes we did try to spanner the screws out without success. Then again not knowing if it was actually possible doesn't make it any easier
As for cable corrosion, we have seen quite a few now as the age of the cars increase so your method will be of increasing use to all, thankyou...

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2020, 21:30   #14
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

Quote:
Well, you learn something new everyday, It would help of course if the links worked for the photo of the spanner angle
As an aside all advice is given on here in good faith and if somebody knows a better way to do things then it is good to learn.
I was part of the team who spent an awful long time attempting to undo the striker pins at the nano to no avail and yes we did try to spanner the screws out without success. Then again not knowing if it was actually possible doesn't make it any easier
As for cable corrosion, we have seen quite a few now as the age of the cars increase so your method will be of increasing use to all, thankyou...
Links should be working now.

I posted this on here arround 5 - 6 years ago but it was taken off by a moderator, as someone unwanted, could open your bonnet?
Old 18th February 2020, 21:47   #15
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOORESY View Post

I posted this on here arround 5 - 6 years ago but it was taken off by a moderator, as someone unwanted, could open your bonnet?
Ah, I see, if it were taken off then that is why nobody knows about it.

2nd picture is now working but not the first. Not sure if your photos would be part of the current photobucket blurred out ransom as i am viewing on chrome with a work around extension.

Edit: Both pictures can now be seen, not sure about the photobucket ransom though, perhaps someone can confirm?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 18th February 2020 at 21:49..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2020, 00:15   #16
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:

2nd picture is now working but not the first. Not sure if your photos would be part of the current photobucket blurred out ransom as i am viewing on chrome with a work around extension.

Edit: Both pictures can now be seen, not sure about the photobucket ransom though, perhaps someone can confirm?
Both pictures are fine Dave, using Safari.

Mike
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2020, 13:09   #17
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOORESY View Post

yet the Hacksaw method is allowed to be shared on here - the Hacksaw method is actually easier for any ne'er do well hoping to break into your Engine Bay

I'd have been happier to attempt this Spanner method as the Hacksaw seems a bit of a Hack Job by comparison - that said, I managed no problem with the Hacksaw and other than the sacrificial Striker Pin, caused no damage to the Car

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2020, 13:53   #18
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
HI Dave.
Hope you are keeping good, Chris photo's below, so we all know what he is saying great idea.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2020, 18:08   #19
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

Thanks chaps,
Just to add a little more background -

The lip on the bonnet bayonet sits at the same height as the 10mm bolt heads hence you need the bent spanner to reach over the lip to the bolt. You also struggle to see the bolt also because of the lip.

Removing or flattening the lip from the leading edge of the bayonet securing plate allows much, much, easier access to the bolt heads as you effectively dont have to reach over the lip to get at the bolt head and can use an unbent spanner.

Its really one of those choices. You could remove both bayonets and flatten the lips as a precaution even if everything is OK, this way, its a quicker and easier job should you have any bonnet catch issues.

Also, if the bayonets are misaligned with the catch, you can also struggle to release the bonnet sometimes until you find the 'sweet spot' Unfortunately, finding the sweet spot can result in another jammed catch...

Hence I always roll the edges of my bonnet catches. If you are keeping the car, and haven't changed the bonnet cables yet, then chances are, you will be glad you did it.

As mentioned, I have opened 5 bonnets using this spanner over the last few years, but all of the cars were face-lifts, so I have no experience of doing this on a earlier model. I would imagine its the same?
Old 19th February 2020, 19:26   #20
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Dave.
I remember the day well, in reflection now I also remember the use of this tool below, but we could just not get it to stay on the bolt head due to the lip on the plate, so once we realised that someone had a spare bonnet bayonet the decision was made by the owner to go ahead and cut through the bayonet and it turned out good no damage to the bonnet or bumper.

I have found three spare 10mm spanners today in one of the several tool boxes I bring to the meet, low & behold one as been cut down I must have done it for something the other two I will double check and bend them for the said job above just in case we come across the same problem this year at the meets.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 12th May 2020 at 20:10.. Reason: Photo Editing
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote