Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th November 2019, 07:12   #1
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts
Default Driving licence renewal

My photo licence is due very early new year but I am a bit worried with it so close to the holidays. Anyone know how early they send the reminder docs? This is my first renewal and I don't have a passport, so I can't do it online!

Thanks

Dawn
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 07:34   #2
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
My photo licence is due very early new year but I am a bit worried with it so close to the holidays. Anyone know how early they send the reminder docs? This is my first renewal and I don't have a passport, so I can't do it online!

Thanks

Dawn
I remember reading people were driving with out of date licence because they no longer send reminders, although this may have changed again. I went along to the post office to renew my one Dawn, they’ve a cubicle that will take your picture and you electronically sign it and the licence was received within a few days. They actually tell you within minutes everything is ok as they send it electronically too
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 07:44   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Download the form off of the gov.uk site. Fill it out, get a photo done at one of the cubicles found in most supermarkets and send it off. I’m not 70 till December but have had my ‘New’ licence two months now.
I’ve changed my address 3 times in less than 18 months and they have constantly sent me reminders.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 07:49   #4
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Here you go Dawn

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identit...riving-licence
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 09:07   #5
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

When I approached 70 I had a reminder about 3 month before the due date. I wouldn't wait to renew if you haven't received one. Remember if you want to keep grandfather rights on classes C1, D1, etc ., after one reaches 70, one needs a medical.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 10:27   #6
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
When I approached 70 I had a reminder about 3 month before the due date. I wouldn't wait to renew if you haven't received one. Remember if you want to keep grandfather rights on classes C1, D1, etc ., after one reaches 70, one needs a medical.

When I changed from paper to photo card licence they returned mine with all of my HGV entitlements missing, class 1 passed in 1988 and now DVLA say they have no proof of me passing, my paper licence is lost and unless I can find it and return it I am in stuck. Apparently there's lots of this type of thing happening when you start looking into it, the cause was some kind of data loss some years ago in a move, I am still waiting almost 18 months on, luckily I am retired now but that's hardly the point, funnily enough on a side note they have my tax records going back as far as my first job!
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 10:46   #7
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I took photos of both side of my license before I renewed it, just in case. Came back ok though.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 10:59   #8
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Lost mine though, it'll probably turn up under a carpet somewhere, everything else does
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 11:46   #9
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

It was in the press about an interview with a Police Motorcyclist who had to take his test again because the DVLA "lost" his entitlement when renewing. Even the fact the police had a copy of all his previous licences didn't move them.
Some years ago when I contacted the DVLA about changing my licence to the latest when going abroad, the kind lady suggested that I had "lost" my old one and apply for a replacement, so I wouldn't have to send my existing one to the DVLA which would have been the case if I had an exchange . She was well aware of the problems.

Last edited by RoverP480; 5th November 2019 at 11:52..
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 12:16   #10
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
It was in the press about an interview with a Police Motorcyclist who had to take his test again because the DVLA "lost" his entitlement when renewing. Even the fact the police had a copy of all his previous licences didn't move them.
Some years ago when I contacted the DVLA about changing my licence to the latest when going abroad, the kind lady suggested that I had "lost" my old one and apply for a replacement, so I wouldn't have to send my existing one to the DVLA which would have been the case if I had an exchange . She was well aware of the problems.
That happened a few years ago now, I remember it on the bike forums, and the consensus then was to cut a corner off your old license before sending it off. This proved your entitlements apparently
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote