Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th May 2019, 11:56   #1
WallyH
Regular poster

mg zt-t

Default 02 & cam sensors

Hi All
Dam sensors again,wifey using 190 ztt other night for shopping(screwing new ball joints on her tf suspension)when zt refused to start ,saga break down sent Highfield via RAC (which took 3 hours)Lad got it going again saying crank sensor duff but cleaned it anyway.wife said he worked down drivers side of engine at back,car refused to start this morning put OBD11 which read cam sensor and 02 heater bank 1 sensor 2 code 141.nothing about crank sensor and I"cant see what recovery lad was doing down back of engine.Any advice again welcome.(wishing I kept my triumph 2500 estate with only your right foot being the only sensor)
Wally
WallyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 12:58   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

If it is a faulty crankshaft sensor when you start the car does the rev counter/tachograph move at all - if no movement but all lights come on then that points to a failing/failed crank sensor.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 15:28   #3
WallyH
Regular poster

mg zt-t

Default cam & 02 sensors

Hi
Thanks for reply, I'm assuming you mean while attempting to start, yes the revcounter does move slightly. So if you are correct then crank sensor is ok then, and one of the others is responsible for no start, although both have been changed in the not too distance past.
Wally.
Old 12th May 2019, 15:39   #4
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Yes- if there is movement of the rev counter when you try to start her up then the crank sensor is working - non movement would indicate a failed crank sensor.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019, 07:57   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Your first course of action, should be to check fuse three engine compartment fusebox

The HO2 sensor wiring on the KV6 has a propensity to chafe on the exhaust system, and when the wiring for the heating element part of the lambda shorts out to earth, it blows fuse three (15A blade fuse)

This supply also supplies the camshaft sensor (CMP) on pin one, so you can measure between battery -ve and pin one of the CMP connector, which is a yellow wire with a green tracer, with the ignition in position 2 to see if there is 12v present.

Not that I've seen this type of thing before

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 08:11   #6
WallyH
Regular poster

mg zt-t

Default cam and 02 sensors

Hi
Thanks for replies car is now running replaced 02 sensor with one I found from spares car I had,and just out of frustration while waiting for new one put the previous cam sensor that had stopped the car on and bingo car started and nothing untoward on tester either.New one just arrived so thats going on anyway(think I"ll keep one in glove box just in case).New 02 sensor just arrived so thats going on as well.As a bye any body ever noticed difference in zt headlight units,out of the four I had picked best 2 and spent hours and hours with T cut and restorer, put them on car,and found their different!.one had black reflector surrounds and the other silver.Start again.Again thanks for help.
Wally
Old 17th May 2019, 08:27   #7
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyH View Post
Hi
Thanks for replies car is now running replaced 02 sensor with one I found from spares car I had,and just out of frustration while waiting for new one put the previous cam sensor that had stopped the car on and bingo car started and nothing untoward on tester either.New one just arrived so thats going on anyway(think I"ll keep one in glove box just in case).New 02 sensor just arrived so thats going on as well.As a bye any body ever noticed difference in zt headlight units,out of the four I had picked best 2 and spent hours and hours with T cut and restorer, put them on car,and found their different!.one had black reflector surrounds and the other silver.Start again.Again thanks for help.
Wally
Silver surrounds are Rover, black surrounds are MG.
Which cam sensors have you been fitting, as the earlier ones with the green O ring are rubbish, the later plastic type with the purple O ring is the one you want.

If you need to restore your lenses, T-Cut won’t do. Get a proper restorer kit with a drill mounted pad assembly.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 18:18   #8
WallyH
Regular poster

mg zt-t

Default cam and 02 sensors

Hi
Thanks for info Canonite have"nt a clue what what colour seal was on new cam sensor( one taken off 6 months old was purple)one before that that decided to talk to the car again was also purple .that"s going into the glove box
with a socket.The silver lights came off spare zt so someone must have changed them ,anyway they are on mine now. And years of being a very young
airman in the RAF cleaning a/c perspex (polymethyl methacrylate)only word I ever remembered from 17 years in Mob, must admit did"nt use T cut though, very therapeutic spending hours with your brain in neutral polishing mg headlights.Again thanks.
Wally