Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd April 2019, 17:32   #1
Split or Bust
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Angry How NOT to change pcv filter

I finally got around to changing (or actually not as it stands at the moment…) the pcv crankcase filter. Got one on eBay for £7 or so.

I watched the Youtube video and set to the task.

Decided to take my time, got the covers off and was being careful with the diesel pipe…why does it not have a bit more slack?

Ok so we know where this is going, yep I broke off one of the connectors on the leak off pipe whilst pulling the pcv housing out…aaarrrgggghhhh

And to make matters worse the clip holding the filter in place broke decided to part company woth the housing…..double aaarrrgggghhhh

So what should have been a simple 30 minute £7 job has turned into a longer and far more expensive job….

So couple of questions before I start ordering bits….

Leak off pipe

How easy are the connectors to pull out? Thought I’d best ask before actually trying to remove it.

Are they all Bosch? Just want to be sure I’m getting the right connector (will also double check the look of them once I remove the part)

Option 1

So can I get away with just replacing 1 connector and using this pipe from Carparts4less?

eBay Bosch leak off connector plastic

Carparts4less Leak off kit 4

Concerned that in removing the broken bit of connector from the pipe it may stretch the pipe so I'm assuming it makes sense to replace the pipe as well as just the connector.

Option 2

Or do I go the whole hog and replace the entire leak off pipe & all connectorss using one of these £20 kits with the brass connectors from eBay?

Already ruled out getting one from Rimmer Bros at £51

eBay Leak Off kit Bosch brass

I’m assuming you just use a sharp Stanley knife to cut the hose…

Thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

PCV Filter housing

The housing has the number PA66-GF25 M15 on it so checked out eBay and came across this used one

Ebay £14 PA66

But scrolling though saw this new “fit & forget” type for £15.49 which looks same housing but doesn’t show as being Rover 75 compatible

eBay BMW E46 fit and forget

Are all the E46 housings the same and will they fit the Rover?

Again, any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel line.jpg (86.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Filter.jpg (64.8 KB, 85 views)
Split or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 17:35   #2
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

PA66-GF25 M15 is not a part number its the plastic specification. Nylon 66, 25% Glass filler and 15% mineral filler
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 17:37   #3
Split or Bust
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
PA66-GF25 M15 is not a part number its the plastic specification. Nylon 66, 25% Glass filler and 15% mineral filler

Thanks for that, I'll have to check the part and see if it has a part number on it
Split or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 18:05   #4
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Get the pcv filter from Jules a trader on here and see if any of the breakers eg Trikey Mickyboy, have a full length leak back pipe. That's your cheapest option.The brass fittings will be best as they won't break in future filter changes
Old 22nd April 2019, 18:27   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split or Bust View Post
I finally got around to changing (or actually not as it stands at the moment…) the pcv crankcase filter. Got one on eBay for £7 or so.

Decided to take my time, got the covers off and was being careful with the diesel pipe…why does it not have a bit more slack?

Ok so we know where this is going, yep I broke off one of the connectors on the leak off pipe whilst pulling the pcv housing out…aaarrrgggghhhh

And to make matters worse the clip holding the filter in place broke decided to part company woth the housing…..double aaarrrgggghhhh

So what should have been a simple 30 minute £7 job has turned into a longer and far more expensive job….

Leak off pipe

How easy are the connectors to pull out? Thought I’d best ask before actually trying to remove it.
Haven't seen the YouTube video for this but you should have removed 3 of the 4 connectors and moved the leak off pipe out of the way before lifting the PCV assembly.

Best way to remove the connectors I have found is to release the clip and grip the head with a pair of mole grips and pull straight up - if they are tight twist them a bit as you pull.
Mike Noc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 19:44   #6
Drummer Boy
Regular poster

ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split or Bust View Post

Leak off pipe

Are they all Bosch? Just want to be sure I’m getting the right connector (will also double check the look of them once I remove the part)

Option 1

So can I get away with just replacing 1 connector and using this pipe from Carparts4less?

eBay Bosch leak off connector plastic

Carparts4less Leak off kit 4

Concerned that in removing the broken bit of connector from the pipe it may stretch the pipe so I'm assuming it makes sense to replace the pipe as well as just the connector.

Option 2

Or do I go the whole hog and replace the entire leak off pipe & all connectorss using one of these £20 kits with the brass connectors from eBay?

Already ruled out getting one from Rimmer Bros at £51

eBay Leak Off kit Bosch brass

I’m assuming you just use a sharp Stanley knife to cut the hose…

Thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

PCV Filter housing

The housing has the number PA66-GF25 M15 on it so checked out eBay and came across this used one

Ebay £14 PA66

But scrolling though saw this new “fit & forget” type for £15.49 which looks same housing but doesn’t show as being Rover 75 compatible

eBay BMW E46 fit and forget

Are all the E46 housings the same and will they fit the Rover?

Again, any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

The leak of pipe can be replaced with an exact part from BMW, approx £35, can't remember the part number though, sorry. I know because I did what you've just done. My advice is to remove the inlet manifold when you replace the pipe as it is a tight fit and when I tried to do it without removing the inlet manifold I ended up breaking the MAP sensor...

The clips are ridiculously easy to remove. Put one finger on the clip to stop it pinging off, then ease it off with a screwdriver. When you do it to replace the pipe, you'll kick yourself that you didn't in the first place :shrug

If it's the YouTube video with the two young chaps who claim to make it easy for the clueless mechanic, that's the reason I broke the leak off pipe too. Annoying because they could've done a bit more research. The more work I do on my car, the more I'm finding the internet is full of bodgers!
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 19:58   #7
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

If you can somehow get to postcode NN15 (J10 A14) I have some bits here that will sort you out !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 20:20   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I have a feeling that in the past this has been recommended as a replacement
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Injectors-Back-Leak-Off-Connector-Complete-Kit-for-5-Cylinder/281421951233

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 21:00   #9
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

The Bmw fit and forget type is an easy swap and you never need to go through all this again. That said I have been swapping the filter for years on many different cars and never had to remove the leak back pipes
Richard

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 17:17   #10
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

And remember that when you refit the T connectors and pipe, that you make sure the clip is actually holding the T connector in place. I pushed the clip on one without checking it was holding, and lost half a tank of diesel going across the city to B&Q's for something.
Wondered why I could smell fuel
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote