Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th November 2014, 11:31   #1
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Default Retrofitting Rain Sensor wipers - Success

I'd never thought of doing this but as I like the auto dipping mirror I decided to source one. When it arrived I was surprised to see it had the cowling from a rain sensor and unpacking it further it still had the prism too which had been removed from the cars screen.

Note my car is a standard windscreen and I have not changed it, ive done this on a standard windscreen. It is also not necessary to buy a new interior mirror as you just need the plastic cowling to house the sensor itself. The interior mirror and rain sensor are wired seperately so you can add the wiring as you wish.

Having experience in wiring in the auto dipping mirror I decided to look at my A pillar plug to check if wiring was present on the car side of the harness and sure enough it was all there. So...here goes...

Pending a check of your cars wiring in the dash side A pillar plug, you'll need the following items to complete this install:

1) Auto Dip Mirror/Sensor Cowlings - (P/N: CTN100040PMJ + CTN100050PMJ)

2) Rain Sensor ECU - (P/N: YDB105430)

3) Rain Sensor Prism (see mounted to ECU)

4) 3M Adhesive Gel Pad. This bonds the sensor prism to the screen. I bought mine from eBay for £5.

5) T4 session, this is to alter the ZCS coding to tell the BCU that when intermittent wipe is selected from the stalk....the sensor prism dictates the delay of the wipe based in its readings from the rain on the screen.

These are the plugs I got with my mirror, the large block one is for the auto dipping mirror and the small this one is for the rain sensor. As both are added together the mirror and sensor share the Earth wire and also the Yellow/White wire.

Mirror Plug with the three wires:

Rain Sensor plug with the four wires:

This is the A pillar plug in my car, I need to simply add the 7 wires from the above two plugs into this one.

I was struggling to find the correct pin placements as the wiring diagrams I found are for the earier black A pillar plug, whereas mine were white.
Fortunately I found that Reebs had updated the How To for the auto dipping mirror and showed this photo comparing his standard roof harness on the right to the one he got from a donor car on the left that had rain sensing wipers fitted.

The Rave disc wiring diagrams showed the wiring colours to be the same so I now extended the loom from my mirror to match the wiring I needed for my mirror and rain sensor to the one in Reebs' photo.

So I found a car in the breakers with the same white A pillar plug, I needed the pins from it so I could add them to the existing wiring properly to minimise any splicing. (ignore the colours of the wiring in this photo, I used the 0.5g wiring I had in my box of tricks).

Once I'd done that I added the pins to my roof harness.

Below are the pin placements from both the rain sensor and mirror, going to the roof harness plug into the A pillar plug in the dash. Remember the white/yellow wire and the earth wire is shared. So Pin 1 from the rain sensor is spliced with Pin 3 from the mirror.....which then goes to Pin 11 on the A pillar plug.
And Pin 2 from the rain sensor is spliced with Pin 10 from the mirror....which then goes to Pin 3 on the A pillar plug.

Rain Sensor:
Pin 1 - (White/Yellow) - Pin 11
Pin 2 - (Black...Earth) - Pin 3
Pin 3 - (White/Red/Yellow) - Pin 9
Pin 4 - (Brown/LightGreen) - Pin 10

Auto Dip Mirror:
Pin 1 - (Green/Brown) - Pin 12
Pin 3 - (White/Yellow) - Pin 11
Pin 10 - (Black...Earth) - Pin 3

Once complete I took the car to Bigruss who did some alterations to the ZCS coding. Flicked the stalk to intermittent....left it doing nothing for a minute or two then squirted some glass cleaner on it from a spray bottle and the wipers activated and cleared the screen.

Success!

So you dont need to buy a rain sensor screen, the only difference is that the rain sensor screen comes with the sensor prism pre-bonded to it with the blackout area.~
I am simply going to apply some automotive glass tint for an OEM look.

EDIT:
So my plan to add automotive tint seemed a good idea, but in practice it looks a bit naff. Couldn't seem to get the 3M pad to bond correctly to both parts. Fitted it to the glass first adding water and then to the prism but just got air bubbles. Tried again with a second 3M pad this time bonding to the prism first, no bubbles at all but then couldn't get it to bond to the glass without trapping air.
Maybe my technique is rubbish but here's a few photos for those who were curious. The rain sensors do work perfectly mind, very nice thing to have on the car.

Stencil Made Of The Cowling

95% Limo Black Automotive Tint cutout

Fitted with bonus air bubbles:

I'm going to do the tint again, maybe try to bond the prism to the glass without the ECU

Last edited by Canonite; 19th December 2014 at 13:15..
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 12:11   #2
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Jaguar 3 litre sport. (Lee) Rover 75 Connoisseur T4'd (Roger) Rover 75 Connoisseur SE (Gaynor)

canonite, well done fella, clever stuff!!. I already have rain sensors in mine but if I hadn't I would have fitted them, this is a big help
Regards DaDragon
dadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 15:08   #3
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Nice work Alan. I'm halfway through this ,yself, got the ZCS done ages ago, fitted the cowling and the sensor ECU, wiring was already in place. Got an adhesive pad, just need a prism and black-out material.

Worth pointing out that in your photos, the prism and the ECU are shown together - they are two separate parts held by two clips which pull out from the ECU. The prism comes bonded to a new screen, but the ECU doesn't.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 15:13   #4
Canonite
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
Nice work Alan. I'm halfway through this ,yself, got the ZCS done ages ago, fitted the cowling and the sensor ECU, wiring was already in place. Got an adhesive pad, just need a prism and black-out material.

Worth pointing out that in your photos, the prism and the ECU are shown together - they are two separate parts held by two clips which pull out from the ECU. The prism comes bonded to a new screen, but the ECU doesn't.
Good point, mine came with prism fitted to the ECU already
Old 16th November 2014, 15:14   #5
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

You can fit them anytime for me Alan.

Russ nailed the dipping rear mirror on and noticed not even the reverse light pin was in my connection block. Made a nice roof loom for me though.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 11:59   #6
Canonite
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
You can fit them anytime for me Alan.

Russ nailed the dipping rear mirror on and noticed not even the reverse light pin was in my connection block. Made a nice roof loom for me though.
I reckon its an entirely different affair if there's no wiring for it in the dash plug :/
Old 18th November 2014, 07:07   #7
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts
Thumbs up

Excellent work Alan, I'd be interested to see what the final appearance is like once bonded to a non rain sensing window glass.

I have copied your post and placed it in the How To - Car Interior section for future reference Here

Many thanks
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 12:32   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
I reckon its an entirely different affair if there's no wiring for it in the dash plug :/
Just fitted this for a member on here, unfortunately the wiring is not present in the White plug

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this plug before I have to scour the rave disc!
Old 20th November 2014, 15:09   #9
versus
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 Auto, 2000 year

Thumbs up

nice work! well done!
versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 12:38   #10
Canonite
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
Excellent work Alan, I'd be interested to see what the final appearance is like once bonded to a non rain sensing window glass.

I have copied your post and placed it in the How To - Car Interior section for future reference Here

Many thanks
Few paltry images added, gonna do it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Just fitted this for a member on here, unfortunately the wiring is not present in the White plug
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this plug before I have to scour the rave disc!
I could only find wiring for the black plug on the rave disc, hence why I used Reebs' photo above for reference. The wiring colours are the same but pin placements are different. I have noticed though, wired in as above I dont have the disabling function on the mirror when reverse gear is selected.