Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th February 2020, 20:05   #1
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Fixing broken door card mounts?

Hi all,

My nearside passenger internal door opener chrome trim fell out, and won't stay in-place. Looks like the tiny little plastic lugs have snapped off. Door card was a bit wobbly too, so I removed it to have a proper look.

Looks like two mounting areas, which I assume should have white clips fitted (to span into the holes in the door steel), are completely broken. Any ideas how I can repair this? I imagine a Neptune Blue door card isn't easy to come by!

Cheers,
Richard.

Last edited by richw; 11th February 2020 at 20:07..
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2020, 10:47   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I would cut some off another door card then weld them in place using a soldering iron and some extra plastic from the donor door card, do not use any glue, it won’t stick to the plastic very well.
Old 12th February 2020, 22:01   #3
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Ahh... Cunning!

So I guess the first step is another door card, but at least it can be any colour and manual or electric windows. I suspect I still need a nearside one. Anyone know if the front door card would do?
Old 13th February 2020, 08:11   #4
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

ive used a product called fullerprene which is a neoprene sealant to stick door panels in place but you still need the top edge to clip into the area along the window.I put a dob inside the door panel near the door button out of view.As mentioned, if your carefull with a soldering iron you can weld bits of plastic into the areas along the top edge that have snapped off.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2020, 19:54   #5
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

So I managed to get this done today.

Sourced a door card from Tees Valley MG Rover Spares for £15. Cut out a couple of the plastic mounts so they would fit into my door card, into the original shape and position of the broken ones. Used a cheapo soldering iron to melt the plastics together, and fused plenty of spare plastic around the join. Probably bad for my lungs, but seems like a solid repair!

Tried to clean the door card fabric (oil or grease) with white spirit, which resulted in it absolutely honking for a few days. On the plus side, I managed to get a bit of spray glue in behind the fabric, as it was coming away from my door card body.

Bought a new chrome opener surround, but realised that was pointless, as I used the soldering iron to fuse my original one back together. So at least I have a spare now.

Small disaster when refitting the card to the door, as the door pull cable fell out of the actuator. Absolute pain in the behind to further dismantle and re-attach, but finally got it back together. Let's see how long it holds...
Old 23rd February 2020, 19:56   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Well done, sounds like you did a good job
Old 23rd February 2020, 20:04   #7
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks. It is nice to cross something off the list (before the next thing pops up!).