Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th February 2020, 10:52   #1
ALPACA
Gets stuck in

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT

Default Driving style and pleasure – The original me versus the current me

Maybe it's just me

It hit me recently how my driving style and preferences have changed over the eleven year course of ownership of my two 75's.

Back when I first got Roxy, she was in need of some TLC, with a fading maf, a broken original fan, a clogged EGR and a severe lack of oomph from her Xpower 131PS state of tune. I set about making her nicer to drive with a K&N air filter, EGR bypass, sports exhaust, Synergy Ronbox, good servicing, millers diesel treatment every tankful, new Viton rings and Jules's fan upgrade, the usual mods and she was like a rocketship compared to her standard self. Settings on number 10 (Turbo nutter B*st*ard mode) on the synergy and I was really loving the new found power off the line and on overtaking. I'll admit to enjoying many a 'go' with BMW's and Audi's and the like who I often saw off (they were never expecting a 75 to have the pull she has).

Two speeding tickets later (I never got one during my 30 year motorbike ownership), and a speed awareness course that was informative and quite shocking, plus another decade on my body and brain, and it dawned on me that I had slowly slipped into an entirely new mindset and driving manner without really giving it much thought.

A decade on I still have all the mods fitted and working, the Synergy 2a is always set to 7 and the 160bhp remap has served me well for many years... But.... I now revel in the fact that both 75's are kept in tip top mechanical shape, regularly serviced and an absolute joy to waft around in in sheer blissful comfort. The power is there when I need to pull out quickly or overtake, but I find myself no longer hurrying along, rather just sticking to speed limits (OK, admittedly I go over 30 in 30 zones, but not by much), and I stick to 70 on long journeys to Scotland and Wales, and am nowadays so content to enjoy the graceful comfort and effortless cruising capabilities of the cars. Slowing down has also really put into perspective how wonderful the 75 is as a luxurious limousine and a long distance crusier, and I enjoy the driving experience even more these days.

Now aged 56 and retired, I'd honestly say that I enjoy driving the 75's more than ever and that all of that graceful, elegant comfort fits in perfectly with my driving mindset. The younger me saw a NEED to use the new found power and acceleration BECAUSE IT WAS THERE , whereas the current me loves the fact the power is there, and enjoys the knowledge that it can be unleashed whenever it is needed. I guess age and experience comes into it, but I can honestly say I love and appreciate my 75's MORE now than at any point during the last eleven years. I still look forward to driving them, but also enjoy the driving experience moreso than ever before
MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT - Dynamic Red Tri-Coat with Sardana red Bader leather interior. K&N filter.Weathershields.Mudflaps.Sundshades.Slot mats.Quilted rear seat protector.Latch guards.Fabric & rubber mats.Fabric & rubber Loadliners.Full alloy spare.MG seatbelt covers.Aussie chrome tailgate strip & bumper protector.Autoglymn lifeshine.Indonesian tailgate badge.Chrome steering wheel cover.
ALPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 12:40   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I have 'settled' my driving, although I was always more of a cruiser than a racer. I do partake occasionally in what I call Christian racing. From a standing start, accelerate firmly til 2nd gear, then hard until the speed limit. My 'thrill' has always been the push in your seat drive, and this fulfills it for me, keeping me 'honest' lol

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 14:41   #3
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I have 'settled' my driving, although I was always more of a cruiser than a racer. I do partake occasionally in what I call Christian racing. From a standing start, accelerate firmly til 2nd gear, then hard until the speed limit. My 'thrill' has always been the push in your seat drive, and this fulfills it for me, keeping me 'honest' lol

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
Like me! A drag racer who is gentle on the clutch lol

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 15:20   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
Like me! A drag racer who is gentle on the clutch lol
lol I am even lighter on it, mine's an auto .

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2020, 17:01   #5
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

56 and retired...I'm envious! I am 63 and looking at retiring at the end of this year. I am hoping that deleting my daily 75km commute will mellow my driving a bit. It tends to be very cutthroat on the highway during the daily rush and I will be happy to see the end of it.
Just yesterday I cut up a poor woman in a Honda in my rush to get around an SUV driven by someone who didn't understand the concept of going the speed of traffic while merging. I felt annoyed with myself the whole trip home. Cars really do need a "Sorry" signal on the back.
Old 15th February 2020, 18:04   #6
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

A couple of years back my eldest son said to me, “cmon father your like driving Miss Daisy”
He then said I used to frighten the * out of him doing hand brake turns whilst parking up at the house.
I’m afraid he was right I used to drive way too fast but when I was in my first Rover 2000, a P6 model back when I was just 21 I drove it with great care so perhaps it’s a Rover thing especially if the car is an automatic.

Even now and well into retirement I drive slower than the missus but still have the ability and judgement to do that overtake (safely) where others are sitting behind much slower vehicles.

I take pride in my driving and it amazes me how much cars in front are braking whilst I have barely used mine but yet still keep up with them.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2020, 19:38   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
Cars really do need a "Sorry" signal on the back.
That's easy, just paint it on the rear blind
Old 15th February 2020, 20:46   #8
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Only a couple of years from the big 70... so I really appreciate the style, grace, and comfort these wonderful cars are blessed with.
So I drive it accordingly, in a calm and unhurried manner, knowing that with my 160 remap turbo power under me, I can call on it anytime I need, or want to. It's a good feeling.
The 75 is my favourite car. For my money, nothing comes near it.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2020, 01:09   #9
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
That's easy, just paint it on the rear blind
Great idea but...That would mean I would have to buy and install a rear blind.
Another Project....Oh NOOoooooo!
Old 16th February 2020, 03:34   #10
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I think I drive more responsibly now I only have my tourer...but then I picked up 2 speeding tickets driving it through France to the south of Spain...ouch!

When I bought a 750iL beamer, I couldn't resist seeing how a 12 cylinder 5+ litre engine could sing...two speeding tickets just driving it home! Yet not even one ticket when I had many other fast cars, some of which I did push on occasion...must've been lucky!

I relish the chance to boot down my re-mapped diesel, but do so little mileage these days, I rarely get to put the pedal to the metal in earnest. I need to buy a sporty car for those cravings! There must be a reason why there are no big slap-on aftermarket turbos for the 75!
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote