Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd January 2020, 21:17   #11
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc3725 View Post
£4K

Blimey my old man had a Marina then an Ital. They Both rotted out from under him after a few years of ownership. I could never understand growing up in my teens back then why he went BL.

These must be rare as hen's teeth or Alfasuds
These Morris Itals go like the clappers too with a light body shell! It goes every where , thinks nothing of taking to Scotland or Berwick on tweed for 300 miles one way, it does it too, no problem. He does look after them though. He was approached by a film company last year to sell one of them, but he did not.

I like the A reg one 1983 the saloon... that one drives real neat and period radio with MW wave wow!! all marked as British Leyland still...

I can honestly say they drive fantastic too.

There are only 32 Morris Itals still fully operational, out of 175000 built of the Morris Itals
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 21:20   #12
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post
These Morris Itals go like the clappers too with a light body shell! It goes every where , thinks nothing of taking to Scotland or Berwick on tweed for 300 miles one way, it does it too, no problem. He does look after them though. He was approached by a film company last year to sell one of them, but he did not.

I like the A reg one 1983 the saloon... that one drives real neat and period radio with MW wave wow!! all marked as British Leyland still...

There are only 32 Morris Itals still fully operational, out of 175000 built of the Morris Itals
Good to know some have survived and are being cherished. It is part of our motoring history after all

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 21:26   #13
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc3725 View Post
Good to know some have survived and are being cherished. It is part of our motoring history after all
Yes i believe they are the rarest Motor car on the British Roads is Morris Ital. I remember the TV advert that the Morris was quicker off the mark than a German/Italian car, can't remember the brand, and i thought no!! but its true they are nippy off the mark, cant believe its just a 1.3 A series plus engine, what a fantastic British engineering engine that still is designed in the 1940s, was still being made in 2000. laugh you might think, but by god are the bullet proof and fixable.

As i say i dont drive them so much now, but he keeps both on the road taxed all year around no nonsense, both operational
Old 3rd January 2020, 21:29   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:

The estate, van, and pick up are the only Ital derivative I would consider.....I did have a 1700 auto HLS saloon in Sombrero metallic with Paprika seats......I chopped it up with a plasma cutter and saved the good bits for my 575 pickup "Douglas"

The Mk3 Marina was the best of the bunch, the Ital was dreadful in comparison in terms of build quality, the boxes let into the inner wing to accommodate Austin Ambassador headlights being the worst rot trap of all time.

However I will say this, the A Plus twin branch manifold does give the car a sweet baby version of the T.C. B series exhaust note.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 21:34   #15
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The estate, van, and pick up are the only Ital derivative I would consider.....I did have a 1700 auto HLS saloon in Sombrero metallic with Paprika seats......I chopped it up with a plasma cutter and saved the good bits for my 575 pickup "Douglas"

The Mk3 Marina was the best of the bunch, the Ital was dreadful in comparison in terms of build quality, the boxes let into the inner wing to accommodate Austin Ambassador headlights being the worst rot trap of all time.

However I will say this, the A Plus twin branch manifold does give the car a sweet baby version of the T.C. B series exhaust note.

Brian
I had the last surviving Morris Ital 575 British gas board van i saved in 1998, spent a few grand on it restoring it and took it to shows, came second in the 2000 Londons Alexandra Palace car show only to the Sweeney police car ( the real one) in the awards, I sold the 575 back to the gas board in 2004 for a small profit for there collection. Then i think in 2014 the gas board sold it back out to a private collector. It still lives on (stored) it was a final batch of Morris Ital 575 vans heavy duty gas board vans delivered to British Gas Solihull Birmingham in 1984/1985 all B registrations starting at B160 TO B190. The only survivor was the one i found in garden beaten to almost death, i saved it and brought back to glory B164 AOX. PROUD OF THAT.

B164 AOX STILL LIVES..The only survivor in existance
Old 3rd January 2020, 22:14   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
I had the last surviving Morris Ital 575 British gas board van i saved in 1998, spent a few grand on it restoring it and took it to shows, came second in the 2000 Londons Alexandra Palace car show only to the Sweeney police car ( the real one) in the awards, I sold the 575 back to the gas board in 2004 for a small profit for there collection. Then i think in 2014 the gas board sold it back out to a private collector. It still lives on (stored) it was a final batch of Morris Ital 575 vans heavy duty gas board vans delivered to British Gas Solihull Birmingham in 1984/1985 all B registrations starting at B160 TO B190. The only survivor was the one i found in garden beaten to almost death, i saved it and brought back to glory B164 AOX. PROUD OF THAT.

B164 AOX STILL LIVES..The only survivor in existance

Nice, my last Ital commercial was A178 AWA a 575 pickup registered in Feb 1984, stolen and never recovered unfortunately

I still prefer the Marina to the Ital......I do have an Ital Suntor camper though

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 22:42   #17
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Nice, my last Ital commercial was A178 AWA a 575 pickup registered in Feb 1984, stolen and never recovered unfortunately

I still prefer the Marina to the Ital......I do have an Ital Suntor camper though

Brian
Thats the one Brian, yeap B164 AOX, Drove great, i must say i prefer the Morris Itals.. those square headlamps will give even the modern day halogen ones a run for the money never had better headlamps until these very modern types come out ! as good as the Morris Ital on full night beam... they could light up the moon.
great cars designed on £4.50.....
Old 4th January 2020, 09:09   #18
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Th Ital stories are very interesting but for me been a purist th Mark 1 1-8 is and has to be th best... I had 5 and my farther had 2 estates. One been a particular pretty one in Tulip, go faster strips, genuine BL spot lights and a luverly black vynal roof ("Which was nice"). I keep promising ill scan a fotoe of it and post here. I wish id got th car now.

Ps. Th red ones were th fastest. I once had a very nice floaty, valve bounce experience on th A522 straight just buy th Consul turning. (aaaaahhhh) Happy daze them.. Around 13 1/2 DBTDC..

Last edited by Phil th Barrow; 5th January 2020 at 08:35..
Phil th Barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 23:47   #19
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Never seen a Marina landaulette before! How many were ever made and sold? Some things are rare for a reason!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 01:01   #20
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Here in Canada we got quite a few Marinas in the mid-70s.
Mostly sedans with a percentage of coupes and very few estates. We never
got the vans or pick-ups. There are very few left here although I did see a
coupe parked outside of a house during a drive in the country last summer.
I wouldn't mind one myself. Simple and easy to work on, and best of all they can be registered as "Collector Cars"
(over 25 years old and visually totally stock) to qualify for very reduced (-80%!) insurance.
The perfect retirement car!

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 5th January 2020 at 01:04..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote