Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th November 2019, 20:13   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Kv6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave6 View Post
Cooling fans coming on at 100 and 106.in traffic.
Dave, I think you are referring to the slow speed triggering at 100 increasing to the medium speed at 106, am I right?
Quote:
Then will go back to 105 plus when it hits traffic ... So it seems to do this high temperature thing only whilst driving and when in lots of stop start driving.
There's a problem with your cooling system. It should not need the medium speed at all if it's working correctly as you say here:
Quote:
.. I would have thought that the slow speed fan would have kept things in check most of the time.
You are absolutely right.
Quote:
Is it normal for the high speed fan to come on regularly in stop start traffic?
No.

See my post no. 3 for possible reasons for this.

Simon
Old 13th November 2019, 21:09   #12
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Hi all. Over recent months I have had new belts, thermostat, water pump, 2 speed fan and radiator. Temp is rising to 110 in stop start traffic before high speed fan brings it down. Operates at 92-97 in free flowing traffic. Getting cool air in passenger footwell and hot in drivers. Any idea what could be causing 110 operating temp and is this a problem?

The heat imbalance from each side of the cab heater is a sign that the matrix is silted up. A hosepipe back-flush with the inlet/outlet hoses detached from the system may well fix it.

Did the reported temperature/fan activity start when the new fan was installed? Is it an MGR fan or after-market?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2019, 08:15   #13
Dave6

2002 V6 2.5

Thank you for the responses. The two speed fan system is working at the correct temperatures according to the OBD so perhaps this is a pressurisation issue. I will buy a new expansion tank cap and if that doesn’t work I will get a reputable garage to refill and bleed the coolant to eradicate any possible air lock. Lots of niggly problems for what otherwise is a good car to drive.
Dave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2019, 08:43   #14
SD1too

Quote:
The two speed fan system is working at the correct temperatures ...
Apologies for my confusion Dave. I see that you have said several times that you have a 2 speed system. Thanks for the correction.
Quote:
I will get a reputable garage to refill and bleed the coolant to eradicate any possible air lock.
I would urge you to do that yourself but if not, print the MGR procedure specifically for the KV6 and give it to them.

Simon
Old 14th November 2019, 10:40   #15
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Did the reported temperature/fan activity start when the new fan was installed? Is it an MGR fan or after-market?
Any info on this Dave?

TC
Old 14th November 2019, 13:40   #16
Dave6

2002 V6 2.5

Hi TC. I do not know if it was doing this before the fan change. The failure of the previous three speed fan system prompted me to change the fan. Why do you ask? Have you seen this before? It is an MGR fan.
Old 14th November 2019, 17:21   #17
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Since the low speed is working normally, the effect you describe - -

"The issue seems to arise when it hits heavy traffic after a fast drive on a motorway or similar."
- - sounds to me like a heat soak effect, as alluded to by Kaiser.

There's a simple way to check this. Repeat the routine so the 'high' speed operates after a brisk run. As soon as it's safe to do so (within say 5 minutes) park up and turn the engine off. If the fan continues to run (for up to 10 minutes from the point 'high' speed came on, then it's heat soak and a normal function of the system. You can see this in the operating parameters of the older 3-speed system. Unfortunately, MGR never got to produce a similar diagram for their later 2-speed models, but a similar function will be retained. However, if the fan stops when you turn off the ignition, there's probably another factor to look for.

When replacing the original 3-speed system with a plug'n'play 2-speed, you obviously drop one of the old settings. I can't remember which one, but it doesn't really matter. You only have two speeds.

Of course, the heat soak events may be more frequent and from less obvious situations if there's an underlying cooling system/coolant problem.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 14th November 2019 at 17:45..
Old 14th November 2019, 18:53   #18
SD1too

Quote:
"The issue seems to arise when it hits heavy traffic after a fast drive on a motorway or similar."
- - sounds to me like a heat soak effect ...
The symptoms which Dave is describing are exactly what happens when a system isn't pressurising properly. The cooling effect becomes highly dependent upon road speed and running temperature varies widely. I've been through this years ago with my SD1. I eventually found a failed brazed joint on the expansion tank. So I'm not sure that it is a heat soak event.
Quote:
... MGR never got to produce a similar diagram for their later 2-speed models, but a similar function will be retained.
I would suggest that the chart applies to the 2 speed resistor fans as well since the control software is within the ECM and it cannot "know" which type of fan is plugged in, particularly as 2 and 3 speed fans were fitted to cars in an apparently random fashion up until the end of production.

So since it's said that the 'heat soak' condition triggers the medium speed which doesn't exist on a 2 speed fan, I'd like to ask if any KV6 owners with 2 speed fans have witnessed this.

Simon
Old 14th November 2019, 23:32   #19
Dave6

2002 V6 2.5

Thanks. The fan has not continued to run after switch off so I think it could be a pressure issue. New cap ordered from Rimmer Broa so let’s see if that works.
Old 15th November 2019, 13:53   #20
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Thanks. The fan has not continued to run after switch off - - -
Ah OK. but the temperature increase under the driving conditions you note - - The issue seems to arise when it hits heavy traffic after a fast drive on a motorway or similar.- - are consistant with heat soak (dissipation) from the brisk activity. It's a perfectly natural effect, but is clearly exacerbated by loss of coolant.

TC