Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th January 2019, 20:25   #11
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

So the Police will be tied to their desks watching endless uploads of dash cam footage, so they will be even more unable to fight actual crime, ya know like all these terrorists for example, or the burglars who beat up old ladies in their own homes?
No, forget about them, let’s just tie up all our valuable resources in sending fines to the humble motorist again!

Granted, dashcam footage could be useful where CCTV ends, such as being able to identify where a vehicle travelled when conventional CCTV lost it, but that’s just not going to happen is it, well, not until ANPR capable dashcams with a live link to the database come out
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 20:28   #12
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

My Mrs has one, she said she feels safer in the knowledge of being able to provide proof of fault in the event of an RTA plus she gets £17 nocked off her insurance premium.
Wouldn't have one in my car tbh, I prefer to deal with a potential incident in person (assuming i've not been killed to death) rather than running to the traffic wombles with footage and then having to jump through endless hoops for it all to get sorted.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 20:33   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
My Mrs has one, she said she feels safer in the knowledge of being able to provide proof of fault in the event of an RTA plus she gets £17 nocked off her insurance premium.
Wouldn't have one in my car tbh, I prefer to deal with a potential incident in person (assuming i've not been killed to death) rather than running to the traffic wombles with footage and then having to jump through endless hoops for it all to get sorted.
As long as it makes her feel better, but trust me when I say that it shouldn't be relied upon that her insurers would take any notice of the "footage"

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 20:56   #14
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
As long as it makes her feel better, but trust me when I say that it shouldn't be relied upon that her insurers would take any notice of the "footage"

Brian
Totally with you there Brian, she takes comfort in it though and that keeps her happy behind the wheel.
Occasionally she will tell me about an incident she's caught on camera but i've never seen the footage because she can't be bothered to upload it to her PC. hahahaa. whats the point then eh! bless her.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 21:06   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Anyone who feels the need to use a dashcam, or indeed upload the resultant footage to a website should really get a life.

And yes I do mean that, get a life......I was given a Rover 75 that had a dashcam fitted, and it was the very first thing to be removed and binned.

To put it into context, the owner of said car was involved in an RTA where the footage clearly showed the third party come around a blind corner on the wrong side of the road in a tatty white transit, and proceed to carve along the entire offside of the 75 writing it off in the process.

The insurers having "reviewed??????" the footage came to the conclusion that this wasn't sufficient to apportion blame to the third party

So what is the point of these devices in reality, other than to add yet another layer of interest to Russian idiot drivers on YouTube

Does it show that I'm not particularly keen on these devices

Brian
some of the stuff on youtube is quote fun to watch but see this clip and tell me if you think the dash cam was worth it or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-4TYhkx1CU

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 08:20   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
some of the stuff on youtube is quote fun to watch but see this clip and tell me if you think the dash cam was worth it or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-4TYhkx1CU

macafee2
Ian, I suspect having someone following you in such a fashion may have spooked the driver of the Mercedes, leading to them making worsening decisions as panic sets in.

The commentary of the people in the following car says it all really.

So no, I still think these devices are nothing more than a gimmick, and yet another unnecessary intrusion into the privacy of fellow citizens.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 08:49   #17
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

Im a fan of Dash cams. We live in a world where not everyone tells the truth!

The guy who reversed into you. He tells the coppers/insurance you ran into the back of him!

I'd rather have one, than not. That way I can decide if I need to use the footage, or not.
Old 29th January 2019, 09:07   #18
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
So the Police will be tied to their desks watching endless uploads of dash cam footage, so they will be even more unable to fight actual crime, ya know like all these terrorists for example, or the burglars who beat up old ladies in their own homes?
No, forget about them, let’s just tie up all our valuable resources in sending fines to the humble motorist again!

Granted, dashcam footage could be useful where CCTV ends, such as being able to identify where a vehicle travelled when conventional CCTV lost it, but that’s just not going to happen is it, well, not until ANPR capable dashcams with a live link to the database come out
I would have thought that someone other then a police officer will review the footage first to make sure is it not something like a cat sat up a tree. If there is something of severity then I assume it would go to a police officer and don't forget, there are police officers on light duties.

I would not have thought every misdemeanor will be followed up.

Let it be a warning to us all, be good or we could find ourselves being uploaded

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 10:33   #19
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I agree. It is likely to be a civilian employee.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 11:45   #20
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

I do get the point about Big Brother. However, on balance, I think these things are a force for good. Once we get to the point (and I think we are getting there now) that people accept that everything we do on the roads is captured on camera, then it should hopefully make people think twice before performing stupidly dangerous acts. As long as we can separate those that have made an honest mistake from those that are blatantly dangerous behind a wheel.
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote