Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th October 2016, 12:35   #1
gm1pmj
Regular poster

rover 75 classic commision no Zt-30417

Default opinion please

My 1.8 auto r75 is starting to display HGF symptoms again this is the second time i am wondering if it is worth repairing it again at 67000 miles i have been told by my mot tester that the head will have been skimmed so it cant be done is there any one on the wirral who would be prepared to do this and at what sort of price please.
Regards
Dave
gm1pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 16:57   #2
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

67K miles isn't a lot. I don't know how long ago it last went, but if the head warped due to overheating then it'll have to be skimmed to make it seal properly, even though Rover advise against it (lots have been skimmed and then been fine). Without this the new gasket won't last too long. There is a limit to how much material can be removed so if it's been skimmed already then it may not be possible to do it again (but equally it could if not much needs removing or was removed previously). Worst case is a replacement head from a scrapper, or maybe a recon one. Also look into why the headgasket failed - you could have an underlying cause such a poorly performing cooling system making the engine overheat, causing the head warpage and then inevitable gasket failure.

If the car's a 'keeper' then look at getting the X-part uprated head gasket kit - it'll cost a bit more as it includes the crank bearing ladder, etc. but I believe they guarantee it against future failures once done. I'm sure somebody with more experience will chip in...

Last edited by Sector-9; 6th October 2016 at 17:00..
Sector-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 16:58   #3
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

I don't know anyone I can recommend on the Wirral , but just on the welsh side of Chester these chaps are well thought of .....
http://www.dplautosroverland.co.uk/
Give them a ring
Also, your head will not necessarily have been skimmed . It is often not necessary and there are many who advise against it due to the hardened finish on the face of the head