Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th July 2020, 15:43   #1
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Default Redundant/Reusable wires - Ex highline fitted facelift

If the rain stops I’m hoping to get out and fit the new xtrons stereo I have.
Happy with what I have to do but wanting a bit of advice on the old cabling still in situ from when the Highline stereo was in place, it was removed and a single din Kenwood unit put in its place. Most I will ignore as redundant but there is an antenna at the top of the windscreen, would this be gps? Also I found a orange coloured wire with a bullet connector that is disconnected, in the area of the fusebox, is this the oTher end of that antenna or something totally different, it’s a slightly thicker wire than the others.
Thanks
Gary
Maxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2020, 16:14   #2
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
Happy with what I have to do but wanting a bit of advice on the old cabling still in situ from when the Highline stereo was in place, it was removed and a single din Kenwood unit put in its place. Most I will ignore as redundant but there is an antenna at the top of the windscreen, would this be gps? Also I found a orange coloured wire with a bullet connector that is disconnected, in the area of the fusebox, is this the oTher end of that antenna or something totally different, it’s a slightly thicker wire than the others.
Thanks
Gary

I have a sneaking suspicion that the orange wire may be the towing supply.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2020, 16:27   #3
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that the orange wire may be the towing supply.
I think you are spot on, quick google on tow at brought up this thread

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=138555

Looks like the same cable other than mine is missing the black plastic connector surround. I shall leave that be then
Old 30th July 2020, 16:47   #4
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

As its a live supply i would suggest some sort of insulation at the termination then. Only reason i had an idea was that i used this supply to operate the electric seats with a relay controlling it to ignition live only.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2020, 17:47   #5
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
As its a live supply i would suggest some sort of insulation at the termination then. Only reason i had an idea was that i used this supply to operate the electric seats with a relay controlling it to ignition live only.
Yes, that’s definitely going to be happening. Thanks for the Help
Old 30th July 2020, 18:56   #6
raykay

Now Other Manufacturer

Removal of the plastic connector cover was one of the 'Project Drive' deletions. The other end of the Orange/Slate cable will be disconnected, underneath the engine compartment fuse panel.

Last edited by raykay; 30th July 2020 at 19:16..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2020, 21:38   #7
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
Removal of the plastic connector cover was one of the 'Project Drive' deletions. The other end of the Orange/Slate cable will be disconnected, underneath the engine compartment fuse panel.
Excellent, thanks! Desperate times called for ever more desperate measure eh
Old 31st July 2020, 07:31   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Thanks
Gary
The Highline GPS antenna was installed in the rear parcel shelf, so what your windscreen antenna is, is anyone's guess. Maybe DAB antenna?

Orange wire behind glovebox is a towing supply, it usually terminates under the engine fuse panel, but left unconnected at both ends. Last week I gave that cable an additional purpose to towing - a low resistance path to keep the battery charged, via an additional lighter plug.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 10:55   #9
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
The Highline GPS antenna was installed in the rear parcel shelf, so what your windscreen antenna is, is anyone's guess. Maybe DAB antenna?

Orange wire behind glovebox is a towing supply, it usually terminates under the engine fuse panel, but left unconnected at both ends. Last week I gave that cable an additional purpose to towing - a low resistance path to keep the battery charged, via an additional lighter plug.
Not sure what that antenna is for then, it’s the thin rectangular shaped type and is only just visible at top of windscreen. Might have to trace that one and see what connector is on the end. I don’t believe the car has had DAB previously as it was the highline system then this kenwood unit I have just removed, which I’m pretty isn’t DAB capable.

Good idea on that reuse of the towing supply wire
Old 31st July 2020, 13:19   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Not sure what that antenna is for then, it’s the thin rectangular shaped type and is only just visible at top of windscreen. Might have to trace that one and see what connector is on the end. I don’t believe the car has had DAB previously as it was the highline system then this kenwood unit I have just removed, which I’m pretty isn’t DAB capable.

Good idea on that reuse of the towing supply wire
A DAB adaptor might have been fitted at some point, or it could be for a mobile phone.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote