Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th October 2019, 18:21   #1
magicsbaby
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Rover 75 what to do now

OK, my Rover 75.. sitting there 82,000 I think on clock.. water pump gone, newish set of tyres on, 2.5 Conni Blue Cream Leather, in really generally decent condition 2004.

Had offer for scrap dealer, not going to fix her myself. Cant seem to put on sale page no idea why as would just in case someone wants to save her.

She is currently at a garage who obviously want her out of the way, and I will have to let her got to scrap which would be sad as she is probably full of part that folk might want, and I would say the tyres are decent even if someone wanted to come over and do swap for those before the scrap took her for a small charge.

She is in Guildford Surrey.

If folk know how I can get her on the sale page let me know..or PM me or whatever. Thanks...
magicsbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 18:35   #2
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Subscribe £10 for a years membership will let you access Members Cars for Sale section
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 19:34   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicsbaby View Post
... water pump gone ... Had offer for scrap dealer, not going to fix her myself.
Hi Tamsin,

I don't understand the diagnosis. What are the symptoms please? I fear that you might be thinking of scrapping your lovely KV6 unnecessarily. My reasons for asking:
  • Water pumps fail by leakage. But evidence of coolant in that area can also be drainage from the 'V' due to a flattened 'O' ring.
  • If your engine is overheating it won't be the water pump; that's a common uninformed diagnosis.

So what's the story Tamsin? Maybe we will have good news for you.

Simon
Old 24th October 2019, 20:36   #4
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

If it's holding water sufficient to get it home (with the occasional judicious top-up) get it home. It's easier to make a balanced judgement when there is less pressure to react. Further to that what are/were the symptoms?

If looking to sell - some pictures will attract purchasers.
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 21:41   #5
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Tamsin,

I don't understand the diagnosis. What are the symptoms please? I fear that you might be thinking of scrapping your lovely KV6 unnecessarily. My reasons for asking:
  • Water pumps fail by leakage. But evidence of coolant in that area can also be drainage from the 'V' due to a flattened 'O' ring.
  • If your engine is overheating it won't be the water pump; that's a common uninformed diagnosis.

So what's the story Tamsin? Maybe we will have good news for you.

Simon
I am no mechanic but when my engine was over heating it was definitely the water pump. Water pouring out of it, got new water pump fitted sorted it.
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 12:31   #6
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicsbaby View Post
OK, my Rover 75.. sitting there 82,000 I think on clock.. water pump gone, newish set of tyres on, 2.5 Conni Blue Cream Leather, in really generally decent condition 2004.

Had offer for scrap dealer, not going to fix her myself. Cant seem to put on sale page no idea why as would just in case someone wants to save her.

She is currently at a garage who obviously want her out of the way, and I will have to let her got to scrap which would be sad as she is probably full of part that folk might want, and I would say the tyres are decent even if someone wanted to come over and do swap for those before the scrap took her for a small charge.

She is in Guildford Surrey.

If folk know how I can get her on the sale page let me know..or PM me or whatever. Thanks...
So you are considering scrapping your car for precisely what reason?...
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 13:38   #7
75v6
Loves to post

75 CDTi Contrempory Navy

I think the garage has quoted something stupid to repair it!
Old 25th October 2019, 14:16   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
So you are considering scrapping your car for precisely what reason?...
Here's the story Mario, a leaking water pump, apparently. It first occurred in July and despite helpful advice from forum members, magicsbaby didn't get it repaired, plus she has bought another vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75v6 View Post
I think the garage has quoted something stupid to repair it!
£1,200 has been mentioned. Changing the water pump on a KV6 is a big job. It's now advertised for sale at £350 which makes it a realistic repair for someone with DIY skills.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 25th October 2019 at 14:18..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 20:37   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Here's the story Mario, a leaking water pump, apparently. It first occurred in July and despite helpful advice from forum members, magicsbaby didn't get it repaired, plus she has bought another vehicle.

£1,200 has been mentioned. Changing the water pump on a KV6 is a big job. It's now advertised for sale at £350 which makes it a realistic repair for someone with DIY skills.

Simon
a car has been advertised but goodness knows from the description what it is other then its a Rover 75. why oh why don't people add body style and engine type to adverts? Not the first time I've seen such adverts.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 21:58   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
If it's holding water sufficient to get it home (with the occasional judicious top-up) get it home. It's easier to make a balanced judgement when there is less pressure to react. Further to that what are/were the symptoms?

If looking to sell - some pictures will attract purchasers.
Quote:--majicsbaby.-She is currently at a garage, and can't really drive as she is losing water fast.

As OLDIE says in this post.---- Plus leaving the filler cap off will partially stop the water pump leaking.

I drove all the way down through France with the pump leaking ( 300 miles ) with the occasional top up.

So M.B get your car home.--

Last edited by COLVERT; 31st October 2019 at 22:01..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote