Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th September 2018, 22:11   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Default MG ZT 1.8T Sub-Frame Drop,Gearbox removal and Clutch Slave fitment task.

Today I was able to make a positive start raising the car prior to sub-frame removal to allow Gearbox to be lifted down.

With car securely up on two drive on ramps I started to make a list of what nuts and bolts needing undoing and removal. There's an awful lot of stuff which needs to be removed before the sub-frame can be lowered away. A lot of work.

Then I had a look at the nearside wheel arch area with the wheel removed. I vaguely remember seeing images somewhere where a 75/ZT gearbox was removed from the nearside wheel arch area with much of the components that side removed or set aside and just the nearside of the sub-frame lowered to allow sufficient clearance.

So, I would welcome any advice or feedback both positive or negative from those better placed with experience of this task. O

Oh yes, I did drain the lubricant from the Getrag Gearbox already. The lower drain plug was as usual... silly tight.

Last edited by Abott10; 26th September 2018 at 13:44..
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2018, 14:15   #2
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

This one?

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=45125

As stated previously....just drop the subframe. I fafffed and faffed and faffed lost a couple of days, then dropped the subframe. Second time I dropped the subframe from the get go. All done and dusted in hours rather than days.

Still, some people swear by it as an easier way to do the change. I found that I just swore at it.....
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2018, 17:06   #3
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

It is fairly straight forward really. think the hardest part i found was re fitting the subframe again after as i was on my own as per usual.my motto is strip what you say on the gearbox and around it thats in the way.i used wooden blocks and the trolley jack to lower the subframe and while it was off i took the chance to give it a refurb.��

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 18:50   #4
Abott10

Thumbs up

Spent 2-3 hours restarting the sub-frame drop on my ZT-T. Only one bolt suffered badly from corrosion "grip" making removal difficult. That was the 13 mm Lower Ball Joint Pinch Bolt with its 15mm Nut which was initially difficult to start removing.
The Anti-Roll Bar, Track Rod end all nicely disconnected without much effort using manual tools alone.

I used an Push Rod as drift to punch out the Pinch Bolt. It came out a treat and was not too badly corroded.

The attached five images show some of the work done on the nearside area.
Old 24th September 2018, 19:14   #5
Abott10

Thumbs up

I did try to drift down the Lower Suspension Arm but, it would need more powerful blows from my 4lb Club Hammer and long Cold Chisel to get it to budge. Then a simple firm tap dropped the Suspension Arm away from the Hub... Result.

Then turned my attention to two of the three long 15 mm Bolts easily accessible clamping the Sub-Frame to the main body of the car. The rearmost two of the three.

Using my 3/4" Breaker bar and an extension to avoid other parts in the way. I was delighted to find both those did give way although at first it was a struggle to crack them. The attached five images show various tools deployed to release the hub from the Suspension Arm.
Old 26th September 2018, 14:05   #6
Abott10

Thumbs up

Spent an hour or so to disconnect all the off-side hub item needed to drop the sub-frame.

Having learned much when dealing with the task on the nearside, with all the various tools needed already to hand, I took only about one third of the time to complete the disconnection of all the various parts this time.

The attached pictures show what was needed. I took a break for refreshment intending a little later to suspend and then release the Steering Rack. I had already loosened four of the six main 15mm Sub-Frame securing bolts. Pleased those were not silly tight as so often happens.

I've got my pro-spec heavy lift Trolley Jack ready to support and lower the sub-frame. Once that is out of the way, I can separate the Gearbox from the Engine.

If anyone having been there done that has any pointers for me at this stage, be delighted to have your input. Here's four more images of the ongoing work in progress.
Old 28th September 2018, 17:50   #7
Abott10

Question Sub-frame drop and 1.8T Gearbox removal question.

I have a question about partial removal of the sub-frame.

If I loosen all six sub-frame main 15 mm long bolts, remove those three on the Gearbox side, can that side of the sub-frame be lowered sufficiently to allow the gearbox to be lowered and removed that way?

I attach a few images of work in progress today.
Old 29th September 2018, 19:34   #8
Abott10

Every item connected to the sub-frame has been removed or detached. Only the six long 15 mm bolts now hold the subframe in place. Now fully ready to drop and remove.

However part of the rear of the Sub-frame straddles the front part of the Exhaust Pipe containing the Catalytic Converter. That will surely be a problem for clearance.

I will need to release the whole exhaust system from its rubber hangers and move rewards to allow sufficient clearance before the subframe can be lowered and away. Can it be lowered only at the front allowing sufficient clearance to remove the Gearbox? I have in mind removal of the two front pairs of 15 mm Bolts, loosening the two rear most bolts and dropping the subframe down at the front.

Otherwise, I will have to raise the rear of the car to allow sufficient access to the Rubber Exhaust Hangers.

Images attached show what is involved.