Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th September 2014, 19:04   #71
milleplod
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Saloon

ANPR 'pinged' on 'no VEL' back when I was still in the job....and that's 5 years ago!

Pete
Old 6th September 2014, 19:17   #72
archermav
Avid contributor

Range Rover TDV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleplod View Post
ANPR 'pinged' on 'no VEL' back when I was still in the job....and that's 5 years ago!

Pete
Well, there you go, told you I could be wrong.
archermav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 09:54   #73
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Anpr is tied into the home office for road tax along with monitoring and also the various police forces. In NI they have been using it for road tax convictions and catching criminals since inception and it has worked very well leading to a lot of criminals who otherwise would be caught out.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 10:42   #74
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

75 Connie SE 1.8 Manual Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
You can also check your driving licence now online as well, its only in beta version but how long before insurance companies want your NI and driver number to actually check your licence is what you say it is.
https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Thanks.. another useful link added to my favourites...

I still do not understand all the codes and terms on mine though...
( no L Plates? )
  • Description

You can drive a moped up to 50cc (max speed 50km/h)
But provisionally, ( L plates? )
  • Description

You can drive any size motorbike, with or without a sidecar
I know for a lot of "newer" drivers after 1990, they did not get the same type licence all of us did before this date, and have to sit additional tests.
At our old firm I was the only driver on site able to drive the Minibus legally ... But since leaving they have taken on younger drivers who simply drive them without knowing whether they should or not, and Police never think to check Hire Vehicles....a mate works there, does not have CAT D1 -

• Description

You can drive vehicles with up to 16 passenger seats and a driver, with trailer up to 750kg
But he stills drives them, as nobody checks.. as many people do not realise it changed.
Seafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 13:26   #75
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

[QUOTE=75tourerSE;1779582]Thanks.. another useful link added to my favourites...

I still do not understand all the codes and terms on mine though...
( no L Plates? )
  • Description

You can drive a moped up to 50cc (max speed 50km/h)
But provisionally, ( L plates? )
[LIST][*] Description

You can drive any size motorbike, with or without a sidecar

For driving licence purposes, a moped is a different vehicle to a motorbike.
You can ride a moped at 16, it's 17 for a motorbike. If you hold a full driving licence for a car issued before February 2001, it is also a full licence for a moped, for a motorbike it only acts as a provisional.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 14:28   #76
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

What by way of evidence will you have in your possession to produce to the authorities if/when required to show that your car is taxed, what happens when the digital age goes wrong, and it will and you have been stopped by the police, or worse still receive a letter of pending prosecution for not taxing your car, all because during a recent update of the system it lost several thousands of records, and yours is amongst these so when your car is scanned on the motorway it shows that you are driving an untaxed car, what a thoroughly modern digital world we live in.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 14:32   #77
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
What by way of evidence will you have in your possession to produce to the authorities if/when required to show that your car is taxed, what happens when the digital age goes wrong, and it will and you have been stopped by the police, or worse still receive a letter of pending prosecution for not taxing your car, all because during a recent update of the system it lost several thousands of records, and yours is amongst these so when your car is scanned on the motorway it shows that you are driving an untaxed car, what a thoroughly modern digital world we live in.
If you pay online, there will be a record of how you paid for it, bank and or credit card details.
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 12:08   #78
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by archermav View Post
Contrary to popular belief, police officers (at least the ones I know) do look for 'em as it is generally a sign that other offences are committed.
You have hit the proverbial nail on the head. It is not just the obvious that gets found out when you have coppers on the streets, it is the other incidentals that turn up during that bit of prying, plus the deterrent effect on other miscreants. When I lived in Cornwall, the local Police used to set up a NPR camera, any suspect vehicle was radioed to officers in a lay-by further down the road, where the car was pulled in. If the vehicle refused to stop, a motorcycle, or patrol car, gave chase. On at least one occasion that I know of, the offending untaxed car had either weapons, or drugs and the driver was arrested.

These operations didn't last long, perhaps an hour or so, but they were repeated at irregular intervals; word soon got around.

Just one last thought, do these NPR cameras work for motorcycles, all of which don't have a front number plate?

Roverite.

Last edited by Roverite; 8th September 2014 at 12:11..
Roverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 12:42   #79
tweek08
Loves to post

none

I just hope the inform the good old what used to be traffic wardens no idea what they are called these days that lot will end up trying to report someone, a jobsworth lol
tweek08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 08:57   #80
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweek08 View Post
I just hope the inform the good old what used to be traffic wardens no idea what they are called these days that lot will end up trying to report someone, a jobsworth lol
I don't think 'Traffic Wardens' exist these days, it is your local Council that controls parking, similar thing, but they don't call them Wardens anymore. It is the Councils that have added parking restrictions in towns, purely to raise revenue. When it was Police operated (they oversaw the Traffic wardens), the priority was road safety and/or congestion, not revenue raising as it is now.

Here in Telford, parking is still enforced by the Police (that's another story); there are no 'Wardens', but the Council is proposing that PCSOs take on the role of parking enforcement. Telford is a bit different in that it is a 'planned' new town and is well laid out with a large shopping centre, surrounded by retail parks, but with adequate parking, some of which is free up to 5 hours, plus a bus station in the shopping centre itself.

Roverite.
Roverite is offline   Reply With Quote