Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th August 2014, 22:08   #41
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Personally I think it's a daft idea saving on what is basically a piece of paper.

With the new system many people will forget when their tax is due and subsequently fall foul with the law.

Today I have just re taxed both our 75's with what will be their last discs, but in future I intend to place something similar in the tax disc holder as a reminder when both the tax and MOT is due.

I almost missed my MOT on the V6 earlier this year, just noticing its' due date after reading one of my own topics on this forum.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 22:27   #42
Petetourer
This is my second home

None at present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Personally I think it's a daft idea saving on what is basically a piece of paper.

With the new system many people will forget when their tax is due and subsequently fall foul with the law.

Today I have just re taxed both our 75's with what will be their last discs, but in future I intend to place something similar in the tax disc holder as a reminder when both the tax and MOT is due.

I almost missed my MOT on the V6 earlier this year, just noticing its' due date after reading one of my own topics on this forum.

It will actually be better for the people who may forget. As I understand it, you will be able to put your car tax on a monthly direct debit. Sorted...

Then a 2002 MG ZT-T CDTI + in Starlight Silver

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.5 V6 180 + in Royal Blue

Then a 2002 Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connie SE

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.0 CDTi + In Le Mans Green
2004 1.8T ZT-T + In Goodwood Green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Petetourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 06:41   #43
DaveyC
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T Diesel

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post

On the face of it, it is just a piece of paper. However, its got security marking and its printed, decolated, packed and posted. This equates to around £1 per item. Multiply that by X million a year and you are talking serious savings. If you can pay by DD happy days! Its just a simple cost saving exercise and if it stops them making cuts elsewhere, its fine with me
Old 30th August 2014, 12:50   #44
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petetourer View Post
It will actually be better for the people who may forget. As I understand it, you will be able to put your car tax on a monthly direct debit. Sorted...
Presumably the one off annual DD will be the current rate of 'tax' for that vehicle and equally, the six month and monthly options will be 'loaded' to a higher annual figure.

Roverite.
Roverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 13:41   #45
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverite View Post
Presumably the one off annual DD will be the current rate of 'tax' for that vehicle and equally, the six month and monthly options will be 'loaded' to a higher annual figure.

Roverite.
Yes, but only half as high a loading as the current system for 6 monthly discs.

On this example...

6 Months VEL = £79.75
12 Months VEL = £145.00

So it works out £14.50 dearer to buy 2 x 6 month discs.

Under the new system

12 Months VEL paid monthly (or 6 monthly) by direct debit will be £152.25, or £7.25 dearer than paying for a 12 month disc in one lump. (which is £7.25 cheaper than the current system).

(To save anyone doing the maths. The current system is loaded by 10% for paying 6 monthly. The new system will be loaded by 5% for paying 6 monthly or monthly by direct debit).
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 17:10   #46
OddSox
Gets stuck in

2002. Rover 75 saloon club se. 1.8 vvc. Moonstone green.

Ok. So the current tax for my car for 6 months is £123.25. I add onto this 5% (£6.16p then devide that by 6 months. That = £21.56 per month.

Am i correct so far please?..
(Phew.. my car insurance is only £27 a month fully comp)..!
Old 31st August 2014, 08:43   #47
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I only started this thread as a source of information about the changes, but, as usual and quite correctly, the debate has widened.

Some see this as a good idea, which 'technically' it probably is, but the 'saving money' issue does cause me some concern. The DVLA have closed most of their regional offices, make £millions on the sale of personal number plates and sell our 'data protected' details to the likes of 'private' parking companies. So, where have these savings showed up?

In 2007 I moved from Cornwall to Shropshire and duly sent off my two V5s, one for my Berlingo and one for my then 1956 Rover 90, as per the instructions on the form for the FOC 'Change of Address'. After a month, I phoned the DVLA and was advised that they had no record and suggested I used another two forms to claim replacement documents. These were duly rejected because I had not enclosed the £25 each fee. Again I sent them off, together with an explanation that the DVLA had lost the documents; this time they issued a FOC V5 for the Berlingo, but rejected the Rover. A female at the DVLA asked me what proof I had that I had sent them originally, to which I said I had coloured photo copies of the signed and completed documents. She rejected this out of hand and said that I should have kept the section that you keep when you sell the car, but their instructions on the V5, clearly stated to return the whole document.

I paid the £25 for the Rover, but started a claim. Eventually, I was told that they couldn't explain why one car was accepted and the other not, but they would issue a cheque, which I should get in 21 days (I think). The cheque didn't arrive, so I claimed again and was advised that they couldn't explain why the first cheque wasn't sent, but would arrange for another cheque to be sent in 21 days; in fact the second cheque had already been received before their letter!

I suspect most people wouldn't bother over £25, but to me it is a principle thing and if you don't fight, they take advantage. My feeling is that the DVLA departments are encouraged to make extra money whenever they can and to this end I suspect that my documents were deliberately lost to gain two lots of £25 for what is a FOC transaction. I can here some now saying, here he goes again, but with financial incentives to NHS hospitals for putting people on the 'Liverpool Pathway' and for GPs to be financially rewarded for putting patients on certain treatments, I am a little skeptical. Outside these institutions, such payments are called bribes, but what is worse is that the operatives lose sight of what their job requirement actually is and the incentive becomes the reason.

Of course, I have no proof of any of the above, but I do now send anything to the DVLA and the like, by 'Recorded Delivery', although I understand that the DVLA receive so many RDs that they are not individually signed for!

Roverite.
Roverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 09:46   #48
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddSox View Post
Ok. So the current tax for my car for 6 months is £123.25. I add onto this 5% (£6.16p then devide that by 6 months. That = £21.56 per month.

Am i correct so far please?..
(Phew.. my car insurance is only £27 a month fully comp)..!
Not quite.

You'll now be buying 12 months VEL, but paying for it monthly (or 6 monthly), or of course you can pay the full 12 months.

So, your £123.25 works out at £225.00 for 12 months, so...

£225.00 + 5% = £236.25 = £118.12 (6 monthly) or £19.69 (monthly)
Old 31st August 2014, 15:13   #49
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Nice 'light trails' photo Brian Surely if you buy a car at 8pm it will have tax up until the old owner sends in the paperwork to say it has been sold? This will take a few days so surely the car will still be taxed for you to drive it home and sort your own, just a thought

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 15:18   #50
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Nice 'light trails' photo Brian Surely if you buy a car at 8pm it will have tax up until the old owner sends in the paperwork to say it has been sold? This will take a few days so surely the car will still be taxed for you to drive it home and sort your own, just a thought
They're doing away with the need to send in paperwork too at some point in the not too distant (maybe even at the same time, I'm not too sure on that one), so notification of change of ownership can be done by phone or online.

However, I'm sure having a word with the 'seller' would, a good percentage of the time at least, mean that they wouldn't need to phone the DVLA or log on to the website until you were back at home

Rather like everything, people will find a way to get around daft rules.