Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th September 2014, 19:50   #1
Salieri
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default What oxygen lambda sensor should I buy?

Well, just went today with my car, the guys put it on a tester and it said that the lambda sensor has some problems and the car may have high fuel consumption (and sincerily I saw that). They said if I'll buy a new lambda sensor this problem will be gone.

The thing is, I looked up on ebay, found some, but I'm not sure which one to buy, which one is good, etc. My car is Rover 75 v6 2500 petrol.

Wating for your recommendations guys, thanks a lot again for everything so far, this forum helped me to get through all those damn problems and solved every single of them.

Cheers!
Salieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 21:04   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Lambda sensors are not something that fail very often. I'd be a bit circumspect about this because the V6 has three identical ones. Did they say which one had failed? You can test a lambda using a volt meter and a heating torch, propane, etc.

Attach the voltmeter to the two sensor leads and set it to read low voltage. The sensor will give zero volts when cold, but when the tip is heated should produce up to 1volt. This will rise and fall as the tip is heated or cooled. No hot voltage means the sensor has failed.

OEM spec sensors have Part Number MKH100728 available from Xpart/Rimmer: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-MHK100728

No doubt cheaper equivalents are available from eBay. Ensure it confirms as suitable for the KV6.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 21:58   #3
Salieri
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Lambda sensors are not something that fail very often. I'd be a bit circumspect about this because the V6 has three identical ones. Did they say which one had failed? You can test a lambda using a volt meter and a heating torch, propane, etc.

Attach the voltmeter to the two sensor leads and set it to read low voltage. The sensor will give zero volts when cold, but when the tip is heated should produce up to 1volt. This will rise and fall as the tip is heated or cooled. No hot voltage means the sensor has failed.

OEM spec sensors have Part Number MKH100728 available from Xpart/Rimmer: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-MHK100728

No doubt cheaper equivalents are available from eBay. Ensure it confirms as suitable for the KV6.

TC
Yes. They said "Lambda 2".

What do you think about this?
1. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGZT-MG-ZT...item3a7b630a65

2. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-100-...item27dc3fec41

3. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-25-4...item27d2bb7321

As I can see, the first link, I believe it's compatible with my car, what do you think about the others? I see they are universal, but that's why I'm asking, just to be sure, because that's a good price. Well?

Thanks a lot!
Old 4th September 2014, 23:21   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

If it doesn't specifically say it's OK for the KV6 you should ask the seller to confirm suitability. The cheaper ads are saying you must only buy if suitable for your engine. Most people won't know one way or the other. Ask the seller who knows about lambdas to tell you. The first ad (genuine MGR part) is certain to be OK.

TC
Old 9th September 2014, 14:01   #5
Salieri
Regular poster

Rover 75

Hey there, I bought this sensor: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Denso-Lambda-...item43b7b1276c

A friend who has an auto shop here in my city ordered it for me at a really good price, he asked me to give him the engine number so he can get the exact sensor that's for my car.

Problem is that today when I went to the auto service to replace my sensor, that guys said that they won't replace it because ... the old sensor had 2 white wires, 1 black, 1 gray. --- The new sensor has 2 black, 1 white, 1 blue. Lol ... but, if I look at the OE number it says : MHK100728, that's exactly what I need.

Advice please? Thanks a lot!
Old 9th September 2014, 16:18   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

I believe the OEM sensor to have four wires (?), the signal (black & grey) and heater (2 whites). If the new one's specified for the V6 then it should plug straight into the connector the old one used. Maybe the white wire is to the heater with the earth return via the pipe itself(?). You're in the exact situation I mentioned earlier. The vendor should explain why it's different. The Denso part number is their number, not MGR's part number. The guy who ordered it should be able to confirm the two are equivalent.

With a new sensor fitted, I'll be fairly surprised if the problem is fixed - unless the original has two missing wires (?)

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 9th September 2014 at 16:21..
Old 9th September 2014, 16:20   #7
Salieri
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
I believe the OEM sensor to have four wires (?), the signal (black & grey) and heater (2 whites). If the new one's specified for the V6 then it should plug straight into the connector the old one used. Maybe the white wire is to the heater with the earth return via the pipe itself(?). You're in the exact situation I mentioned earlier. The vendor should explain why it's different. The Denso part number is their number, not MGR's part number. The guy who ordered it should be able to confirm the two are equivalent.

TC
Hey, thanks for taking your time replying to this, just looked up here: http://www.lambdasensor.co.uk/main/mcolours.htm

Take a look at Four Wire Zirconia Sensor.

I think that's my case.
So, colour connection for original one:
Black - Signal
Grey - Earth
White - Heater
White - Heater

And for the alternative one:
Blue - Signal
White - Earth
Black - Heater
Black - Heater

This will fit I believe, right? But, what should I tell those guys at the auto-service?
Old 9th September 2014, 17:35   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Tell them what you've told us I guess.

TC