Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th February 2023, 13:47   #21
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

I think i might have gotten to the bottom of it, theres a blue lead that says power antenna, and this also powers up the amplifier now because i don't have a power antenna, i didnt connect it up, i just stumbled on an video of someone with a another car, similar set up, same problem, and thats problem was that the power aerial lead, was in fact the amplifier power lead, and if i remember last time i had everything connected up via the iso adaptor, so everything power, speakers etc was via the BMW plug, So in theory, if i connect up this blue lead, to the adaptor, it will power up the amplifier which in tun will power up the speakers.
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 17:43   #22
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Just to clear up a few things which hopefully will help you Martin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post
So either, theres no power to the speakers ... or the speakers themselves are dead ...
Neither the door speakers nor the woofers beneath the parcel shelf need or have a power supply. They are passive units. Each speaker has two connections for the audio signal, positive and negative and that's all.
It's not likely, is it, that all ten of your speakers are "dead".
I have previously recommended that you trace the speaker connections from the output of your aftermarket unit to the main loom leading to the doors, the colours for which I have given you. Have you done that?
Quote:
... theres a blue lead that says power antenna, and this also powers up the amplifier now ...

Where is this blue lead exactly? Where have you seen "power antenna" written, on the aftermarket unit? There is no blue wiring shown in the MG Rover wiring diagram!

When you say "amplifier", which unit are you talking about:
  • The HK power amplifier in the boot?
  • The Philips tuner/amplifier in the spare wheel well?
  • The Bordmonitor (LCD screen & controls) in the centre console?
  • Your aftermarket unit in the centre console?
Can we use these specific terms from now on, I think it would help.
Quote:
So in theory, if i connect up this blue lead, to the adaptor, it will power up the amplifier which in tun will power up the speakers.
When you switch on your aftermarket unit, can you see on its LCD screen that its controls work and it is receiving a radio station? If so, your unit is receiving "power".

Simon
Old 26th February 2023, 14:17   #23
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

you seem to be getting confused, lets go back to basics,

I removed the original highline head unit, radio and tv unit , and fitted an after market radio sat nav unit, using an BMW to ISO adaptor, made up an self contained loom to connect the BMW plug in the boot, to this new head unit using the same ISO colours.
When i turned everything on, I got power but no sound.

I have since tried fault finding the system to find the cause, but so far i have not gotten to the fault, the factory fitted speaker amplifier is still fitted, and connected up, because i could not remove it, nor get to the plugs.
I can't use the footwell plug, because the previous owner removed it and taped the wires, the original loom in the boot, looks to have had some wires taped in, possibly the plug may have been changed,

I the high line unit never worked properly, the radio was dead when i got the car, but i fitted another basic after market radio and wired this via the BMW plug and that worked fine. thats why i'm getting frustrated , I did exactly the same set up as before, yet this time no sound,

The blue wire is not part of the original wiring, its in the new head unit and looking through every u tube video its been almost an universal problem with high spec cars, having this same problem, and in every case the remedy was to use the blue cable to power up the amplifier because the wire was in the same position to the cars main harness to the power input for the power feed on the amplifier.
Old 26th February 2023, 17:12   #24
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Thanks Martin for your reply.

My problem is that I'm working from the connector numbers prefixed "C" in RAVE. I have no idea which of these is the connector you're referring to as "the BMW plug". If you can tell me the number of pins and the colour of the plastic housing that would be a start!

You say that the Harman Kardon power amplifier is still "connected up". You're using the blue wire, labelled "power antenna" to supply it with +12v. Have I got that right?

You've also said that "everything power, speakers etc was via the BMW plug." Umm, are you sure? The door speakers are wired from the HK power amp output to the front of the car. You say that you don't have access to the HK connectors so I don't see how you can have made a connection to the door speakers. This could be why you're getting no sound.

Quote:
I can't use the footwell plug, because the previous owner removed it and taped the wires ...
Again, "the footwell plug", what's that? Please can you give me the colour codes of the wires which Mr. Previous Owner has cut and insulated? I might then be able to identify it.

Simon
Old 27th February 2023, 13:19   #25
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Finally got it sorted, everything now working, Including sat nav What i did was to re wire the live and constant back to the black multi plug, from the radio and then plug it all back in, check the fuses, replaced the 15 amp, from 33, it hadn't blown, but i have plenty , so changed it anyway, then crossed fingers said a few prayers, offered a sacrifice to the gods, and turned the ignition on, and the radio burst into life, with sound coming out of the speakers, i don't know what the fault was, either, the multi plug needed the live at that end, not direct into the head unit, or the fuse might not have been good, even though it appears to be intact. but its now working.