Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st March 2013, 08:50   #1
advinnie
Avid contributor

mg zt 160

Default mg zt v6 idle problem

Hi all right when I start the car hot or cold the revs are all over the place the car does drive well but as so as you let it idle the revs will go up and down say 500 to 1200 rpm and low enough to stall the engine any one got any ideas what it could be
advinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 13:27   #2
Paulontour
Avid contributor

MGZT 190 and MGF VVC

Start by removing the ICV that sits on top of the throttle body and give it a good clean with some carb cleaner. You can order o new O ring and gasket from Rimmers to complete the job. Remove the air intake from the throttle body and with the engine running at about 2000 rpm spray a short bursts of carb cleaner in throttle body trying not to stall the engine. Repeat this process several times then reassemble. Make sure all the hoses are tight as the throttle body needs to be airtight meaning the only air that enters the throttle body comes through the air intake. If any air enters the system other than the throttle body the revs will be all over the place.
Paulontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 21:29   #3
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

I had this prob on my 190 a while back, I did all that has been suggested above, and it now runs smooth.
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 21:52   #4
advinnie
Avid contributor

mg zt 160

Right done everything you said took everything about and cleaned it to an ich of its live took all pipes hose off and removed all signs of oil put it all together and guess what the problem is still there start it up the rpm gos from 500 to 1200 rpm blip the throttle and the rpm does stabilise at 500 rpm but the idle is rough plus in this condition Im sure i can smell fuel. But as the engine warms up the idle increases to 850 ish rpm and starts to act normal. Let the engine get cold again then start it and im back with the problem. Is there a chock on this car cause on closer investigation the idle problem now does seem to only happen when the engine is cold/warming up once up to temp it behaves as normal.
Old 31st March 2013, 22:44   #5
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

I must admit the problem still happened with me for about a week after cleaning and then it stopped and its not happened since. I guessed it was either the ecu resetting itself to the new clean parts, or it was some gunk that hadnt quite cleared out the valve and eventually worked free. Either way the car is idling fine now, so I would suggest being patient incase that's the case.
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 10:03   #6
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

When I cleaned and re-gasketed the idle control valve on my last car it took several re-starts to settle down.

I think if you move the piston at all it takes the electronics time to re-adjust things back.
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:04   #7
advinnie
Avid contributor

mg zt 160

Hi all just to let you all know my car is now working again and yes it was the idle control valve it had just stopped working replaced it today and all is fine
Old 7th March 2019, 21:22   #8
Shankzey

Rover 75 Saloon

Hello there, I have this interesting problem too. Only thing is... When I go and intentionally pull the throttle peddle back (by foot or hand) the strange up and down revving stops. Anything to be worried about? Seems like there is a certain point in the peddle that it doesn't like.