Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th June 2008, 22:33   #11
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Have you tried simply allowing the ECU to dry out thoroughly before reinstalling it?
If everything was OK until you splashed water onto it (cornering) and until it got flooded completely with rain water, maybe it's intrinsically OK. Mechanically they are pretty robust and will withstand submersion provided they don't short circuit too dramatically. Try putting it somewhere warm for a day and see if it comes back to life. Worth a shot, no matter how long at this stage. Flushing them through with isopropanol is also a favourite way of removing debris left by rainwater on the electronics.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 23:21   #12
AURORA MG
Banned

(EX)-ZT-T190SE in Aurora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by <James|Rover> View Post
This looks great and certainly worth a try before the scrapping option. Now I just need to work out how to get my car from SMC in High Wycombe to Gloucestershire - get the missus to tow me in her 4x4 cross country at the weekend me thinks yuk!
Could you not push it round the corner & call the AA or RAC assuming you have either?
AURORA MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 01:55   #13
rt2
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 connoisseur se in moonstone manual

Sorry to hear of your troubles, at least it has not put you off what really is a splendid car.

To recoup your money you could break it for spares, you will be lucky to get a £1000 trade in.

The best one is the 2.5 v6 still got to keep an eye on the plenum though.

The best looking one is the estate it really is an elegant looking car.

Make sure all 3 cambelts the idler & tensioner have been replaced at 45000 miles.

Go for a manual when it is on song the engine growls (music to my ears) but if driven with restraint it can do nearly 40 to the gallon which for a car of this size is excellent.
rt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 15:39   #14
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Have you tried simply allowing the ECU to dry out thoroughly before reinstalling it?
If everything was OK until you splashed water onto it (cornering) and until it got flooded completely with rain water, maybe it's intrinsically OK. Mechanically they are pretty robust and will withstand submersion provided they don't short circuit too dramatically. Try putting it somewhere warm for a day and see if it comes back to life. Worth a shot, no matter how long at this stage. Flushing them through with isopropanol is also a favourite way of removing debris left by rainwater on the electronics.

TC
Wet with the power on can soon cause more than just a bit of debris.

Certainly try drying out, but make sure you disconnect power as soon as you can.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 17:06   #15
<James|Rover>
Regular poster

Jaguar S Type

Today i went and hired a flat-bed trailer, attached it to the missus's 4x4 and fetched my 75 from High Wycombe. Home now to sort out this saga!

Can anyone tell me how to locate the ECU...is it inside near the fuse box or reachable from the wipers area ? Any help appreciated so's I can see if the thing's full of water etc, or perhaps send it off to the quack (thanks for the info on the doctor!).

Also to save me searching around, the best link on the Forum to a step-by-step on how to locate and drain/clean the Plenum drains?
<James|Rover> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 17:57   #16
tony g
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

i sent my ECU to the ECU Doctor on my last CDT and they fixed it for £125 well chuffed
tony g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 18:07   #17
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Today i went and hired a flat-bed trailer, attached it to the missus's 4x4 and fetched my 75 from High Wycombe. Home now to sort out this saga!

Can anyone tell me how to locate the ECU...is it inside near the fuse box or reachable from the wipers area ? Any help appreciated so's I can see if the thing's full of water etc, or perhaps send it off to the quack (thanks for the info on the doctor!).

Also to save me searching around, the best link on the Forum to a step-by-step on how to locate and drain/clean the Plenum drains?
The lower plenum drain, ECU and pollen filter are all housed in the nearside plenum. :-

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/down...ile=tid002.pdf
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 18:21   #18
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
SMC said even if they were to replace the ECU it could be that the water/soaking has taken out other electrics also (he mentioned injectors and other things) which sounded like an open cheque-book to me; but perhaps they just wanted me to take their preferred option of trading it in against one on their forecourt though!
You're right about that James!

See the thread: Engine cuts out on roundabouts which should fill you with optimism.

Simon.
Old 6th June 2008, 18:32   #19
geoff11
Loves to post

ZT 260

James, I Live in stroud and have removed my ECU from my 260 when doing some investigation work prior fitting a supercharger, if you like I can come along and remove it for you ( should be in the same place )

Geoff
geoff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 18:50   #20
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Great offer Geoff,
The ECU on his car will be located in the Plenum chamber to the left of the Pollen filter,
easy to see once the Scuttle trims are removed.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote