Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th November 2010, 21:50   #1
mamasboy
RS South East

Ford fester... blah....

Default Will anyone under the age of 20 ever own a V8?

Im a mere boy at 35 ish and i've never been behind the wheel of a V8, its been troubling me a bit recently. My dad loved his cars but mostly owned allegros but I recall mention of a V8 among his collection but was too young to remember what it was and he's no longer with us to ask..

I fear todays youth will, mostly, never get to drive a V8 beast - who buys em now-a-days? Only those old enough to have enough NCB to afford insurance and retired folk who do 10 miles a week to the shop so can afford the fuel!
Who makes em now-a-days? Luxury car makers I suppose but that market's not what it was so wont be so many finding their way into the second hand market in years to come plus with all the green issues we all feel so strongly aboutperhaps the end of big engine cars is in sight - I so hope not.

I want a V8. Cant afford to buy, run or maintain one but I want one. Even if it only drives a few miles a year and spends most of its time under a blanket. I want to hear the roar of a proper engine. Dont get me wrong, I love the 75 Tourer diesel - nicest car i've owned by a long way, I just want a car that makes me feel BAD
Old 18th November 2010, 21:56   #2
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Can get plenty of cheap luxo-barges with V8's for silly money - Lexus LS for example.

Will anyone under the age of 20 ever be able to afford to insure anything amazing? I doubt it
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 22:12   #3
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

i think its more a question will anyone under 20 (who isnt the heir to the throne, or super loaded) be able to afford it full stop.

lovely jag x-type for around 2k

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available

Last edited by rrobson; 19th November 2010 at 11:29..
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 22:15   #4
mamasboy
RS South East

Ford fester... blah....

my favourite at the moment, just because I like the first photo

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-740I-L-V8-...item230bc3e715
Old 18th November 2010, 22:15   #5
Jake
Banned

2004 75 Contemporary SE Tourer, 2005 (55) Pearl Black Conn. SE Tourer.

At soon to be 21 (4 days after christmas) for a car for high days and holidays then it is viable (just!) but not cheap.

Motoring is just expensive though nowadays - what Lewis is paying for his Provisional ZS Insurance, I could get a discovery td5 SE Premium with tesco for £400 on a full license (granted the £750 excess!)
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 00:34   #6
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

The big fuel guzzlers will soon be as dead as a Dodo, people already view the big 4x4's as being anti social, and soon all the big "V" engined cars will be seen in the same light..

They were OK before we had the 70 mph national speed limit, and petrol was 30p a gallon, but once that kicked in the "super car" era was wobbling and then fuel went sky high and playtime was well and truly over...

Add todays running costs and you have to ask yourself -- Do you really want one??
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 00:40   #7
Jake
Banned

2004 75 Contemporary SE Tourer, 2005 (55) Pearl Black Conn. SE Tourer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
The big fuel guzzlers will soon be as dead as a Dodo, people already view the big 4x4's as being anti social, and soon all the big "V" engined cars will be seen in the same light..

They were OK before we had the 70 mph national speed limit, and petrol was 30p a gallon, but once that kicked in the "super car" era was wobbling and then fuel went sky high and playtime was well and truly over...

Add todays running costs and you have to ask yourself -- Do you really want one??

Sadly James that beside - yes I do still want one!

The way I see it - apart from the odd bottle of something - Cars are my only real vice - I don't go on lavish holidays, I don't have a season ticket to a football club, nor have I a massive social life, but the feeling when getting in a decent lump of motor is one of the best feelings ever - which is why I could happily justify it.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 01:00   #8
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

In that case Jake, go ahead and buy one. Life is just to short and uncertain to wait for one for years....

(My first car was a Daimler DB 18.. 2nd a 2,5 Jaguar rag top. Both had huge headlights, hmm that may have been more significant than I realised at the time..)
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 08:25   #9
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

Im with Jake on this one.

Ive spent loads on cars over the years, a few of which I wish I'd kept.

the way I see it, our cars will be one of the last V8's on the roads, and its definitely a buyers market at the moment.

I see my V8 as the last chance to own a true piece of britans motoring heritage, something that will never be available again, and this one certainly isnt going anywhere
Old 19th November 2010, 09:25   #10
woolleysox
This is my second home

Black V8 Ztt 260SE

Im with Jake and BLACK OLIVE .I have purchsed a 260 and its my dailey drive I did a trip of 240 miles yesterday both motorways and country lanes great trip. I am able at present to afford it and you carnt take it with you and I certainly aint leaving it to the govenrment to tax it and squander it. If you can afford it go for it you only live once.
woolleysox is offline   Reply With Quote