Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th June 2021, 15:50   #11
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
The problem as I see it is that so-called councils have for too long gotten away with dumping unfit for use parking spaces on the nation at large. Call me old fashioned but I don't think that they should assume if not expect that everyone who will use such a space is a contortionist.
Governments have never updated their "standard" parking space size edict over the past 60 years, despite manufacturers fattening their products.. Councils and supermarkets are happy to use this as a way of getting planning permissions by stating that they are providing sufficient parking spaces. I always try to find an end or corner space so I can get further away from the next vehicle.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2021, 20:17   #12
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annfield-East View Post
Always park in a remote bay, and, if it takes a minute or so to walk to the store entrance, then so be it. Gives peace of mind.
I do but its annoying to find every space around my vehicle occupied when I get back to it...…

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2021, 20:31   #13
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I never thought that when I bought my 75 that I would end up walking a lot more but I do! (from the far end of every car park!)
Old 24th June 2021, 21:17   #14
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

None of us are getting any younger and some of us are getting er... larger. I welcome wider opening doors
As a side note, the new Nissan is actually rather nice

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 11:35   #15
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annfield-East View Post
Many supermarket shoppers are so bone idle that parking as close to the entrance as possible is a way of life. Serves them right if they get dinged.

Most supermarket/retail parks have parent/children vehicle bays which are wider, so will there be a new section of even wider wide ones especially for new generation Quashai's?

Always park in a remote bay, and, if it takes a minute or so to walk to the store entrance, then so be it. Gives peace of mind.
I always park my 75 well away from the main heavily occupied parking area, but it still did not prevent me getting a scrape along the rear bumper.

I should have left the towball plugged in then it would have ripped their bumper off !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 12:14   #16
Annfield-East
Loves to post

None

Going back to the late 80's, I parked my car at Sainsbury's, York. A woman then proceeded to park her Mini Metro, at an angle, in the bay adjacent to my cars nearside. She then flung the door open and it made contact with my cars passenger door. Fortunately it was a MK3 Capri with a substantial rubbing strip along the door and there was no damage. She thought my car was empty and had got away with it until I sprung out and abruptly told her that the best thing she could do was to leave that b*****Y thing at at home. Her response - Oh, you're in a bad mood!
Annfield-East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 16:21   #17
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Could barely manage it safely. Now either MG6 boxes are much heavier than ZT Getrag and Rover/Honda PG1s I have lifted with relative ease in the past, or I have progressively lost muscle power.
It is estimated that the average person loses 5% of their muscle mass per year after 65.

kEV
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 17:14   #18
MGjim
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160+

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...e7da7f0599.jpg
I do try to park as far away from others as I can....
MGjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 22:03   #19
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Problem isn't the parking spaces. It's the car sizes.

They make the cars bigger to hide the fact that safety technology hasn't actually improved that much, so there's more metal for energy dissipation than anything else.

So now the new mondeo doesn't fit with a designed UK parking space.

There's your issue.

Cars are too big. I mean I think who needs a car bigger than a 75 in all reality?

If you have 5 kids yeah, but then you probably can't even properly pull out of a parking space never mind your misses!
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2021, 07:35   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Rover Repair View Post
Problem isn't the parking spaces. It's the car sizes.

They make the cars bigger to hide the fact that safety technology hasn't actually improved that much, so there's more metal for energy dissipation than anything else.

So now the new mondeo doesn't fit with a designed UK parking space.

There's your issue.

Cars are too big. I mean I think who needs a car bigger than a 75 in all reality?

If you have 5 kids yeah, but then you probably can't even properly pull out of a parking space never mind your misses!

Driving skills also play a part. Yesterday watched a women on a Range Rover drive forwards into a space for parallel parking. No way on gods earth was she or anyone else ever going to get that car in that space by going forwards. She would have to have shunted back and forth almost to the point she was reversing in which is what she should have done. She drove off to park or go elsewhere.
Being so mean I laughed but in a Range Rover she looked good, rich, impressive and that is all more important then being able to reverse

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote