Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th July 2019, 07:57   #11
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

The "Police" are human beings.

They do a ridiculously difficult job with is hampered by so many "do gooders" and see and have to deal with things I wouldn't want to be anywhere near.

The traffic folks are, in my experience, huge petrol heads and certainly the bikers have a great sense of humour. Their knowledge & skill is monumental. The Chief Instructor for our Club also happened to be a race instructor at Cadwell - so he was just a bit quick and spotted danger by some sort of telepathy . A pure joy to watch & be helped by. A neighbour of mine had a Westfield and they were were stopped no end of times to have a good look over it, take the bonnet off etc.

But if you're driving/riding like a pillock they are duty bound to do something about it.

to all of them.

Thank you.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 19th July 2019 at 08:00..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2019, 08:07   #12
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Must have given you a real lift for the day - great to know that all the hard work gets noticed and appreciated .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2019, 11:51   #13
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Driving the borderline bangers I have driven for most of my life, I have had several occasions to converse with the Law. I have had sour-faced officiousness when I've done nothing wrong (my cars may not look too tidy, but I try to keep them legal), and I've had good humour and reassurance when I have been at fault. They are all human. As a general rule, I would say the younger they are, the more pushy, and then they mellow with age, perhaps because they've seen and handled so many situations that they no longer get stressed by run-of-the-mill stuff, nor have they got something to prove. Even the guys who stopped me in my first car, a £20 Morris Minor with severe rust and dubious brakes, were good humoured as they insulted my pride and joy. They showed me the defective side light (which had been working, but had a loose connection), and then the big one leant on the back of the car. It moved forward. "Better put the handbrake on sir", says he. I leant in and tugged the handbrake up as hard as I could. This time it required both hands on the back to make it roll. My friend in the passenger seat, started pulling on the lever as hard as he could. The other officer leant in through the window, and said " Careful sir, there's not much metal holding it in place". I was lucky to get away with just a ticket for defective lights and brakes and 3 points!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2019, 12:29   #14
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

This reminds of a few years ago, I was driving my Jensen on a dual carriageway and noticed a Police car behind me. It kept its distance and I just kept an eye on my speed. After about 15 or 20 mins he put his blue lights on and indicated for me to pull in. I sat in the car and he came up to me, apparently I had a brake light out and he gave the car a look over. He then told me how nice it was and he was very envious. He told me to get a new bulb and just before he went he said and ''by the way you were doing 80mph a few miles back so be careful ''
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2019, 17:39   #15
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

A Lancashire Police Traffic Officer I knew used to stop Triumph 2000 marques and give them details of the Triumph 2000/2.5/2500 Register.
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2019, 18:10   #16
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
How did you get away with the "not quite legal" number plate?
Are they not interested any more? I know in the past they were, depending upon the copper.
I s'pose if they wanted to be pedantic they could have picked me up as could the MoT testers that have turned a blind eye every year. The key may be that my plates are a subtle change of font nothing too great no italics or adjusted spacing. Mind you if the car looked unloved the MoT testers I'm sure would have marked me down and the police would probably have only looked at them if they were ott or they were targeting set traffic offences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
The "Police" are human beings.

The traffic folks are, in my experience, huge petrol heads and certainly the bikers have a great sense of humour.

Andy.
These guys certainly were. One having owned a 75 in the past and an SD1 and apparently had just bought a partial P6 which he said he hopes to restore, shifts allowing, and reckons it'll take him 10 years if his missus lets him out to play.

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 08:13   #17
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

Maybe he was dreaming of one of these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29748-a-mgr.jpg (130.5 KB, 21 views)
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 08:34   #18
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

A few years ago a friend and I were both out riding our bikes,( 1977 Suzuki GT750's) and I noticed a police car in my mirrors. It followed us for a mile or two, unfortunately we were heading to a rented lock up, which involved a lot of back street left, right, left, right turns. The car was still behind us. I figured, this looks really dodgy lol. Eventually when we stopped, he pulled up behind us. I just thought "here we go", but no. He just said, I have not seen one of these bikes on the he road for years, to see two together was an amazing site, I was hoping you were going to pull up so I could see them both close up!

My anal sphincter relaxed instantly lol

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 09:40   #19
marti666
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

my first rover was a 827i Fastback some years back and it turns out it was a ex unmarked traffic car that the Met used, the reason know this I was travelling out of London on the M1 and been tailed by a traffic car, surely enough the lights came on so I pulled over, the officer came to my door and asked if I'd make my way to the services about a mile or so further on...
Once we got there him and his colleague started looking around the car and asked how long I have had the car which was about 8 months but the father in law had had it for several years prior. He then said he'd always wonder where it had gone after been retired from service as he wanted to buy it for 2 reasons it was one of his old patrol cars and the fact it had only done 10000 miles since it had an engine & gearbox replacement but missed the auction by 1/2 hour.... So what could I do i handed over the keys and said one final drive Officer? the beam on his face.... it was a pleasure to be chauffeured by him as we progress rapidly up the M1 tailing the BMW his the other officer was driving.........

• This vehicle was the 25,127th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
• This vehicle was the 1,317th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
• This vehicle was the 61st 75 Tourer in Platinum Gold (code: MCN) to be made out of 353 Platinum Gold 75 Tourers
• Born Thursday 9th September 2004 @ 08:24:28
marti666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 14:03   #20
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

After a spirited bit of dawdler-dispatching in my P6 a few years ago, l got pulled by a couple of our finest & while the older guy admired the car his young partner gave me a short lecture on how an elderly gentleman such as myself should maybe drive a little more sedately. All l could think of was "I'M ONLY BL**DY 52!" Everyone l told about this outrage thought it was hilarious & it's still remarked upon.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote