Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2018, 22:08   #1
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Default ITP, I presume ...?

Had a lot of driving to do last night and no time to stop for fuel before any stations on my way home had closed, so the fuel light came on about 15 miles from home. I then had a bit of trouble starting it this morning, although it coughed into life when I pressed the accelerator a bit. Couldn't hear anything when I switched off again, then turned on the electrics and listened at the fuel filler, but it's been blowing a gale all day here so I couldn't swear it was making no noise at all. However as the last full service was just three months ago, there shouldn't be any clogged filters so this seems to me like the ITP has probably failed, or is on the way out at least. Sound about right?

I didn't want to risk trying to start it again until I got some fuel in it, which I got done this evening so I'll see how it behaves tomorrow.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 23:50   #2
henocsr
Regular poster

MG ZT

I would say so, if you cannot here the pump. Is your car a facelift or preface lift? Most facelift cars have a single in tank LP (low pressure) pump. All pre facelift cars have an intank and an underbonnet LP pumps.

If you have one with 2 LP pumps if you fill the tank with about 1/4 to 1/2 should start with a bit of cranking. If yours is the single LP pump then new pump is the only option.
henocsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2018, 00:50   #3
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Yeah it's a Mk1 so two pumps. Ordered one anyway just in case. I'll be ordering an UBP tomorrow as well, seeing as the guidance appears to be that once one goes, the other won't be far behind.
Old 15th March 2018, 01:33   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
Had a lot of driving to do last night and no time to stop for fuel before any stations on my way home had closed, so the fuel light came on about 15 miles from home. I then had a bit of trouble starting it this morning, although it coughed into life when I pressed the accelerator a bit. Couldn't hear anything when I switched off again, then turned on the electrics and listened at the fuel filler, but it's been blowing a gale all day here so I couldn't swear it was making no noise at all. However as the last full service was just three months ago, there shouldn't be any clogged filters so this seems to me like the ITP has probably failed, or is on the way out at least. Sound about right?

I didn't want to risk trying to start it again until I got some fuel in it, which I got done this evening so I'll see how it behaves tomorrow.
Assuming your gauge and light were correct, probably not the ITP. Were it the ITP, it would have run out of fuel at around the 1/4 full mark.

I am also not convinced that most of the MKII's had a single pump, the single pump MKII was I think quite rare.

The starting issue was more likely injector leak back or similar issue, which cleared itself after a bit of cranking.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 15th March 2018 at 01:36..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2018, 05:48   #5
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Think the "single pump" models started around 05 reg.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2018, 08:01   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
There isn't any risk associated with trying to start it with no fuel. Damage to the pumps can occur if they left running too long without fuel due to overheating, but an attempt to start isn't anywhere near long enough.

Worth putting 10 litres of fuel in and seeing if it then starts.

If you unplug the outlet pipe from the UBP where it enters the fuel filter and place it in a jar (just in case) then with key to position II, if there is no fuel coming out and you hear a noise like a kid sucking on an empty McDonalds' milk shake cup with a straw, then suspect the ITP or that the gauge is wrong and you have actually run out of fuel.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 15th March 2018 at 08:08..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2018, 09:15   #7
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Before spending any money, take the electrical plug off the top of the ubp and put some Vaseline, not grease, on the two contacts in the top of the pump. Work the plug up and down on the contacts, and then put it on properly. Try starting now. Cost nowt.
Old 15th March 2018, 20:39   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Just one little thing Mr 4 car man.------It would have been nice if in your OP you had mentioned what car you were having trouble with.------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 10:45   #9
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Thanks for the replies folks - haven't had much time to post (or do much else!) over the past couple of days as I've been absolutely flat out. Apologies for not specifying the engine - all my cars are CDTs and the one which had difficulty starting is the black saloon I drive as a daily. It certainly won't be for lack of maintenance, as the last full service was just over 3000 miles ago and included a change of all filters including PCV.

Anyway, this morning I poured in nearly 20 litres of diesel, which was enough to bring the gauge up above one-third full and (for the first time since the incident) tried turning the key - it started first time. Switched it off and left it for 5-10 minutes, then turned the electrics on fully without starting the engine (i.e. so that the glowplug light etc came on), and listened at the fuel filler again. It's not as blustery today but I still couldn't hear anything, so I think it's probably safe to say the ITP is either dead or quite sick.

I see I've more food for thought re injectors etc - if it turns out that there is (also) an issue with leakback, does that necessitate a set of new injectors or just replacing an individual faulty one? Would it be as simple as chucking in a dose of injector cleaner? Been several months since I did that.

Even if it turns out that the fault is solely due to injectors and not the ITP, I'm happy enough to have ordered both the pumps anyway as I like to have spares to hand in case of a breakdown. It was quite inconvenient when the ITP failed on another of my cars late last year and I had to put off the repair until the after the pump was delivered, which took a few days.
Old 16th March 2018, 11:06   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Probably best not to go looking for problems. ( Injectors. )

Low fuel and non working in-tank pump are possibly the only things to cause you trouble.

Avoid low fuel ( Below a quarter. ). Fit the pump and just drive it.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote