Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th December 2008, 16:24   #1
horse power

rover75 saloon

Default water ingress on rear passenger footwell

Hi first time here and found some great help so far.
I have bought a Rover 75 club diesel car, this is my first Rover and have to say I am blown away with it.
I have an issue with water coming into the car it is starting to smell and am at a loss to where the water is coming from.
I have checked the boot no water
I used the information on how to check LOWER PLENUM WATER DRAIN UNBLOCKING I found it to be full of leaves and the hose to be blocked, that has now been cleared,
and alas I still have water coming in when it rains.
It seems to be coming out from where the seat belt on the passage side where it is bolted to the side panel,
Hope someone can help

My wife has informed me that she will not sit in the car another night to mop up the water when it rains!!!!!
horse power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 16:30   #2
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

Well, if you tell us what region you are in, we can recommend a good solicitor

You'll find that 75/ZTs give you great highs and great lows. If you've cracked the plenum job, you will now become adept at removing trim to reseal things that should have been sealed in the first place. Although it might be later tinkering from a past owner that has resulted in this, perhaps. Try searching on the forum on trim removal in the area that you need to expose. Others have sunroof leaks, leaks from vents under the rear bumpers into the boot spare wheel bay and so on.

Welcome/Enjoy!
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 16:53   #3
horse power

rover75 saloon

Hi Ponweed
Thanks for getting back so soon,
as for the region that I'm in its ireland Galway, I dont have a sunroof.
Thanks for the pointer on what else to look for I guess I will have to delve into the archives for this one

thanks again
Old 4th December 2008, 17:25   #4
MRM
Regular poster

ZT 160T+

Don't know if this helps but I had a similar probem recently. I had water in drivers side footwell but also went through to rear footwell. Same as you I checked and cleared the plenum and then hired one of those carpet cleaners and sucked up as much water as I could - which was quite a lot. At this point it still seemed as though I had a problem as there was still signs of water coming in. I was told that the footwell holds a lot of water and even my carpet cleaner trick would not remove all of the water. So I patiently drove with high heat on the footwell for about another week resulting in steamy windows (which gave my neighbors something to talk about). However, I must admit that just recently it seems as though the footwell is dry. Maybe I am being optimistic or maybe the problem was fixed with cleaning the plenum and it just took time to clear the water.
MRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 22:52   #5
horse power

rover75 saloon

Thanks MRW

I have moped up the passanger rear again, the boot is dry, although I do notice some moisture on the drivers side I will look into that tomorrow, armed with clear cylicone!!!!!
What I cannot understand is how the water is only showing on the rar passanger side foot well the rest of the car is fine touch wood, mind you the rate the water is coming in I might have to fit all passangers with a life preserver!!!!!!
Is it possible for water to remain under the crome plate on the base of the door??
any ideas where i should check next
I will drive with the heater on and see if that has any effect.
I now understand why the captain of the Titanic asked his famous question...... Where is all this water coming from!!!!!
Old 6th December 2008, 14:43   #6
Nagasaki

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm in the process of hopefully finishing the repairs for exactly the same problem. With respect to the rear seat wells, I've repaired three leaks, rear light cluster gasket, most of that water ended up in the tyre well, two further leaks, one coming through the fixing point for the trim on the rear wing and the major problem coming through the rear air vent, which was finding a route down the weld line to the rear seats and then on down to the floor well. I'm hopefull that the rear air vent was the problem for the floor, but it's been a slow process.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 11:41   #7
horse power

rover75 saloon

my God
sounds like I have my work cut out for me , Is it hard to do the rear vent seal? I hate the thoughts of removing the rear bumper, but as the water is still coming in but be it at a much reduced rate I guess I have to look in that area.

thanks again for the help in this

regards
Patrick
Old 9th December 2008, 16:09   #8
Nagasaki

Rover 75 Saloon

Well before you do, check to see if there is water coming through the rear air vents, it’s seems a lot of work, especially if that’s not the problem in your case. I removed the boot lining and with an appropriately dressed assistant (you know bikini, boots etc..) got her to pour water over the rear wing. My leak was so bad that you could see the water pouring in through the bottom edge of the air vent. At that point it was also clear that it was not well fitted, a small amount of additional water was meeting the main flow from the chrome trim fixing points. As a said in my own thread waters’ funny stuff, it finds the most obscure ways of getting to where you can see it. It rained yesterday and my temporary fix seems to have proved that this was my problem for sure. In my case, I was able to get the vent out from inside the boot, because it was so badly put in. I know there is a good 'how to' thread in this forum to show exactly how to do it. Good luck and let me know, how you get on.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 18:07   #9
kevin
I really should get out more.......

ford focus ghia

haved a read here it may help.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=188
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote