Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd December 2009, 08:43   #1
chris 77
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 2002

Default changing anti-freeze

Hi all as the temperature has reached -7 where i am i would like to drain my radiator and change my anti freeze can anyone tell me if this is a simple process to do and how much fluid am i putting back in?

Regards,
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:34   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The 1.8 engine has a coolant capacity of 6.2 litres. This means you need half that volume each of OAT antifreeze concentrate and tap water to make up the coolant. One of the cheapest places to get OAT is from Vauxhall depots. Ask for Premium Red Antifreeze (the part number is 93170402). Alternatively you can buy a 50% mix ready to put in from Halfords. This is much more expensive though.

Draining off the old coolant is easy enough. Just release one of the lower hoses and it will drain out. To empty the heater circuit, remove one of the hoses attached to the rear of the engine. Refilling is best done by vacuum. This requires a vacuum pump of some kind. It can be done with a Pela oil extractor as described here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=41864

Without this kit, you'll have to refill it and bleed off the trapped air as described in the Haynes manual. It's imperative that there are no air locks in this engine. With insufficient coolant you'll have problems, which can get very serious.

OAT coolant has a 4 year service life.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote