Notices

Old 20th October 2023, 16:08   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Wet out

Was out earlier and the roads were bad.
Apparently rain until 10pm I heard earlier.
I hate to think what flooding there will be. The dykes around us are full, water across the road and in the field.
I have two small pumps running trying to take water across to the other side of the garden. I don't think they are winning but a draw will do. This is the worst or joint worst rain I have seen and only the second time in 39 years I have every worried about the house flooding.
Fire Brigade have been answering a number of calls and the River Trent is flooding the Nottinghamshire side

A Blood Bike Group I know have taken their bikes off the road the conditions have been deemed so bad.

If you are going out, take care.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2023, 16:35   #2
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I have lived in Derby all my life and I never seen conditions like today.Widespread flooding on the roads,was forced to drive through 6-8" of standing water for about half mile.Roads I have never seen flooded before with 2-4" inches of water on them.Many road closures restricting routes you could follow.Chaos and gridlock.

VVC-Geeza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2023, 16:51   #3
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I had the 75 booked in to AutoWindscreens this morning, as my rain sensor has stopped working, following 'screen replacement. How ironic!

After about an hour and a quarter of trying to travel 6 miles, I gave up and went home. Lots of roads blocked and huge queues, with people doing u-turns everywhere.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2023, 16:58   #4
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Not unusual

Here in Wigan or the general North West, it isn't unusual to see this level of rain, it's been like this here for many years and the last hot summer of note was 1995 here.
The simple answer is to cut more rivers or stop development everywhere, the water cannot get to the sea as it could in times gone by. Not one new water course has been made in decades of over development, every single new build relies on the existing drainage and it cannot cope.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2023, 17:58   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Opps down to one pump. A stone got sucked up and ruined the impellor. Rarely used it but it was handy so I will buy another one.

Ho hum

macafee2
Old 21st October 2023, 08:18   #6
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default This one

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Opps down to one pump. A stone got sucked up and ruined the impellor. Rarely used it but it was handy so I will buy another one.

Ho hum

macafee2
I use a Clarke PVP11A from Machine Mart for excellent results, maybe a bit of mesh wrapped around the base would help protect against stone ingress. A handy tip is after use, put it in some clean water to clean it.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2023, 09:34   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I use a Clarke PVP11A from Machine Mart for excellent results, maybe a bit of mesh wrapped around the base would help protect against stone ingress. A handy tip is after use, put it in some clean water to clean it.
Thanks. At least we stayed dry. The wife was up about 2 am and me about 3 am. Water has receded around the outside of the kitchen and living rooms quite a lot. Pond area still badly flooded. Some water went into the barn where I have not gotten around to laying a course of bricks but some towels and dust sheets will soak that up.

I have diverted a down pipe into a water butt and have ordered a pump and hose to pump that out, we think that will prevent the pond area flooding as the down pipe just spilled onto the ground.

One pump still running and has been running all night, I suspect it will run for another 2 hours at least. Where ever the water goes the ground will struggle.

Hope everyone has stayed dry.

macafee2
Old 23rd October 2023, 12:46   #8
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Went with my wife down to Manchester Airport on Thursday (by train), she was going to see the family in the far east. Said goodbye on Friday morning then I set off home . . . . I had no clue what was coming, utter chaos, took nearly twelve hours to get home. A freight train broke down, twice, causing massive delays, creeping along signal to signal. Eventually got as far as Carlisle by train but trees down north of Lockerbie shut the line. They laid on taxis for anybody going further north, ended up in a taxi from Carlisle to home, just east of Edinburgh. Journey from hell!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote