Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th January 2012, 10:28   #11
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capese21 View Post
Comma seek and seal was excellent and solvent based but is no longer available afaik
Sign of the times......pc and all that......
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 13:10   #12
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I did this fix about 2 years ago. Some of the clips broke and some survived. I drilled out the holes in the plastic plates and refitted with small brass nut/bolts. I can't remember but I may have reduced the depth of the screw heads so they didn't hold off the trim.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 22:12   #13
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

This how-to looks really useful & I'm thinking of trying it out. Is it really only for experts? If I balls it up I can see my car being out of service until I get a pro to replace the windscreen!

But I'm really sick of the wet boot.

Maybe I will buy some spair bits (the clips) in advance.
bobthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 22:24   #14
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
This how-to looks really useful & I'm thinking of trying it out. Is it really only for experts? If I balls it up I can see my car being out of service until I get a pro to replace the windscreen!

But I'm really sick of the wet boot.

Maybe I will buy some spair bits (the clips) in advance.
You would need to remove the windscreen to replace the clips. That is a pro job.

The only challenging bit is not bending the chrome trim so it looks ok when you refit it

If you balls it up the worst is it leaks a bit more. But to be honest this is unlikely.

The only problem I had was a couple of the clips that hold the chrome trim on at the top of the screen had broken (before I started). I had just left the trim off until the replacements arrived, it has no waterproofing properties.

Any problems drop me a pm
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 23:05   #15
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Thanks for the pointers. Lets see that the weather is like this weekend!
Old 7th March 2012, 00:30   #16
stevie7
Regular poster

mg zt

Another great "HOW 2", muchas gracias
stevie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 18:37   #17
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

A big thanks to Rich, without this thread I would never have had the guts to try it out.

I would make one comment, I think it is far easier to remove the chrome strip using a screwdriver first. Once this is partially out its easy to remove the flappy thing since you can see how to prize it out from above.

I have included some photos. I think at least 7 of the 8 clips were totally broken. (Only 2 had those yellow spacer things present.) They were flapping about and not joined to the bottom bits in the boot. I have stuck it all together using lots of sealant & I hope it holds.

By far the hardest bit was trimming the pins so I could remove them, maybe doing that actually broke the clips. Anyway, I hope to tell you in a few days if it has worked!

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...G_00000121.jpg

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...G_00000117.jpg

Look: no clips!

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...G_00000124.jpg

Oh, and yes I did bend the chrome strip

Last edited by Dragrad; 2nd December 2015 at 01:38.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit :-)
Old 11th March 2012, 19:09   #18
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
A big thanks to Rich, without this thread I would never have had the guts to try it out.

I would make one comment, I think it is far easier to remove the chrome strip using a screwdriver first. Once this is partially out its easy to remove the flappy thing since you can see how to prize it out from above.

I have included some photos. I think at least 7 of the 8 clips were totally broken. (Only 2 had those yellow spacer things present.) They were flapping about and not joined to the bottom bits in the boot. I have stuck it all together using lots of sealant & I hope it holds.

By far the hardest bit was trimming the pins so I could remove them, maybe doing that actually broke the clips. Anyway, I hope to tell you in a few days if it has worked!

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...G_00000121.jpg

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...G_00000117.jpg

Look: no clips!

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...G_00000124.jpg
Thank you very much for the kind words.

It is correct that only two of the clips have the yellow / white lumps on, these are the locating bits for the rear screen to sit on while the glue sets.

You are right, the clips are completely broken, I was unable to remove mine as the bit that fits through the body prevents it. Obviously this is broken off on yours.

I suggested removing the flappy rubber bit first so that it wouldn't get bent removing the chrome trim as the flappy bit has a metal inner.

If the sealant does not make a suitable repair, you could try reattaching the clips using fast set araldite then sealing round them again with silicone?

If you haven't guessed yet, my car is mechanically brilliant, it just looks like a shed. Several poor bodywork repairs, a man who couldn't see owned it before me and has crashed into anything and everything. I just want mine to work and be reliable, not fussed what it looks like.

I couldn't fashion the chrome back into its proper shape after removing it, I tried all sorts, gave up in the end after I picked up a block of wood and a hammer!! I think I recall reading a post about a very small availability of rear screens so didn't want to break it.

Or alternatively, if (unlike me) you want some standard of repair, remove the screen and replace the clips with new ones and renew the chrome trim (around £80 for the trim iirc). Maybe if a proper windscreen man removed the chrome trim it would be serviceable when it came to refitting it!?!!
Old 11th March 2012, 19:20   #19
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rich, I can cope with the bent but NOT the flood in the boot. I had to buy a hand pump! The water has got under the seat as well so I had am electric fire in there this afternon trying to dry it out.

If it still leaks I shall try your glue idea. What really annoys me is the clips (and hence the holes!) are only needed to hold the chrome trim!

Thanks again, I had no idea where to start with this, and was pulling, er, somebody elses hair out.
Old 11th March 2012, 19:27   #20
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Someone previously in this thread said that they replaced the pins with brass bolts to hold the clips to the body, I think this would be an ideal fix for your broken clips.

Also, make sure you drill a drain hole in the boot and paint over the bare metal after, if the boots get too flooded it spills over into the passenger compartment, and ruins the electrics and probably the carpet! A hole is a lot cheaper!

I left my dehumidifier in the car for a week after I fixed all the leaks, just to make sure the wet had gone.

Last edited by Dragrad; 2nd December 2015 at 01:37.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit :-)