Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th June 2019, 17:34   #1
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

Default Apologies not a Rover subject but Volvo

I’m not parting company with my 75, but am starting a new job soon with a bigger commute to get there. As I don’t want to pile the miles on my TF or 75 I’m looking a big car capable of 45mpg around the doors and the S80 D3 seems to fit the bill. Does anyone own or has owned one that could give me some tips etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 20:02   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelOBB View Post
I’m not parting company with my 75, but am starting a new job soon with a bigger commute to get there. As I don’t want to pile the miles on my TF or 75 I’m looking a big car capable of 45mpg around the doors and the S80 D3 seems to fit the bill. Does anyone own or has owned one that could give me some tips etc.

Have a word with Russ Nige, he runs an S60 and loves it

I saw your 75 up at New Silksworth....last week too

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 20:44   #3
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Have a word with Russ Nige, he runs an S60 and loves it

I saw your 75 up at New Silksworth....last week too

Brian

Possibly have been Lynn visiting her mate. You should have popped in for a brew. I’ll give him a shout, want something that’s not German lol, and cheap to tax which rules the XF out

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 05:35   #4
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

I own a D3 engined Volvo C70, but never again. When it’s good, it’s very good, but when it’s bad, it’s very expensive, and it’s been bad several times. EGR valve, Turbo, injectors and ECU.

But then I suspect that, as it’d only done 29k miles before I bought it at 5 years old, it may have done too many short journeys.
Old 17th June 2019, 11:07   #5
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Big Russ is away at the moment but having been a passenger more than once in his S60 can vouch that he loves it. Its now nearly done 200,000 miles, is very smooth gear changes are smooth and as Russ puts it always in the right gear not like a 75 auto. He really rates it highly.

Recently we were both at a Volvo breakers and Russ and the owner had a conflab about them and the yard owner said the earlier ones are much better than the later models, they are not built so well and he sees that when he's pulling them apart. Russ has had to do jobs on his S60, at that mileage you would expect it, but says it is a lot easier to work on, a much better design and a better overall car all round than a 75.

I have a V50 and find that a pretty decent car also but with its Ford origins Russ finds it to be straight forward to work on but with the odd in built design making it not quite so good as his to work on. He's just fixed it after it being written off by an uninsured Czech.

They can be expensive to fix especially if you use a Volvo main agent, and in my experience are not the best at diagnosis. Parts can be expensive but Russ buys quality parts and looks for originals and gets them at very good prices, and of course he can fix it himself. I have found when needed independent Volvo garages are fairly competitive, but those that are shall we say a fix any car going place can sometimes not get it right either.

Last edited by RobSun; 17th June 2019 at 11:14..
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote