Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th December 2007, 15:11   #31
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

This Subject/thread does provoke strong feelings in People with their cars,
and the Green Issue in general.
After all it is their pride and joy next to their Homes, Wife, Children and Jobs not possibly in anthing like that order.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 15:44   #32
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Colin, I certainly aren't one of the toys for boys brigade. The only reason for me fitting the EGR bypass and the Synergy was to help the engine be more fuel efficient, not to be some kind of "Boy Racer".
The effect of better fuel consumption reduces the emmisions from the car including the amount of NOx. I'll admit that the amount of NOx will be increased with the bypass than if the EGR were in place but would be nearly if not totally offset caused by the mpg inprovement with the added bonus of less particulate matter (soot and smoke).

Poorly maintained or faulty Egr valves are going to be far worse for the emissions than fitting a bypass ever could.

As stated earlier it would be very interesting to do a comparison between cars and see the overall effects, as Zeb said the results may take people by suprise.

By the way the statement I made about China had nothing to do with the Egr discussion.
Do you always twist things round to suit you own ends?

I suggest you re-read Rincewinds post in particular the paragraph just before the second set of figures. I think you'll find that it says: "Then for OBD purposes, we have to fail the system or by-pass it to see if the system falls within the OBD limit requirements in this instance, it's fully OPEN like a by-pass system would be." ?????

By fitting a bypass it completely closes off the pipe from the exhaust by blanking it off preventing the induction of exhaust gases into the manifold.

Russ
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 15:47   #33
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
I have now done nearly 20,000 miles with mine.
i have less smoke since removing it,
Ask Kandyman and julesbass who have previously experienced driving in my Wake of smoke,
now hardly any at all.
My MPG is far better than before and I have no faults being logged on T4 and as said have just passed MOT.
As to the Green issue, if I wish to put two fingers up to it so be it,
and frankly I don't give a dam.
In the US which I am in more than out, you would be so surprised at Modifications etc carried out.
Older vehicles can choke you to death following them with the black NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- coming out.
People over there regardless don't give a Dam about Green Issues where I go and will continue to run Air con everywhere 24 Hours a day even when not in, all the lights and flood-lights left on, cars that drink Fuel quicker than you can fill up over here.
They almost riot when it hits £1.23 per Gallon!
The US only Tax fuel at 39 Cents per Gallon!
So like a large Majority of people,
I buy the Things,
I use the Things
I will do what I want with anything within the Law of that Country.
And that is that.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS IMHO AND DOES NOT REFLECT ANY VIEWS OF THE CLUB

Absolutely Sir!!!!!

In a world living with Genocide, child labour, industrial pollution and flagrant breaches of international human rights treaties, it is frankly laughable that people have the temerity to be personally offended at my use of an EGR replacement pipe. And for the record, my car is noticeably better on fuel and has far less smoke with the EGR replacement fitted. Less fuel used and less particulate matter produced. It may be robbing Peter to pay Paul as far as the Green lobby are concerned but the fact that it still produces far less greenhouse gasses than even the smallest petrol engined 75 can only be a good thing.

Last edited by Ross R75; 4th December 2007 at 15:51..
Ross R75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 16:08   #34
rollsey1
Loves to post

Honda Super Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
This Subject/thread does provoke strong feelings in People with their cars,
and the Green Issue in general.
After all it is their pride and joy next to their Homes, Wife, Children and Jobs not possibly in anthing like that order.
And that being the case, surely you have to care about the environment as well.

It's all getting a bit too heated for me. Anyway, is anyone interested in my EGR replacement experiment or not!!
rollsey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 16:31   #35
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Let's keep this on topic please folks, tangents leading to polluting the planet by other means is bound to cause friction so let's leave that conversation for the social forum. This is a technical discussion regarding EGR valves so keep to that please.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 16:34   #36
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Yes, I'd be interested to know how you get on with the mpg experiment with the egr valve and bypass!

As I've stated on other threads, there are so many variables that affect mpg. Type and size of tyres, engine tune (including setting of Synergy if fitted), condition and maintenence, driving style, type of roads, wether you use cruise control , or just variables in manufacture.
What works on one owners car, may not work, or even have a negative effect on another.

I can only vouch for what I have experienced with my own car.

Russ
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 16:47   #37
ColinW
Regular poster

R 75 Club CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigruss42 View Post
I suggest you re-read Rincewinds post in particular the paragraph just before the second set of figures. I think you'll find that it says: "Then for OBD purposes, we have to fail the system or by-pass it to see if the system falls within the OBD limit requirements in this instance, it's fully OPEN like a by-pass system would be." ?????

By fitting a bypass it completely closes off the pipe from the exhaust by blanking it off preventing the induction of exhaust gases into the manifold.

Russ
Russ,
I have re-read this several times, and I cannot come to any other conclusion. Perhaps the author could clarify it, but I read it as having to bypass the system, not in a mechanical sense, but that the control to the EGR is disabled, such that no exhaust gasses are introduced in the cylinder. In other words, without having to remove the EGR completely, it simulates the bypass much as removing the vacuum from the M47R's EGR, which is what many protaganists advocated before the introduction of the by-pass tube.

I have to assume that the second set of results, is trying to demonstrate the effects of no EGR, which will show up on the OBD. If not, why then the does he quote the figures.

If you still don't believe that, lets ask the man himself.

Colin
ColinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 17:12   #38
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigruss42 View Post
Colin, I certainly aren't one of the toys for boys brigade. The only reason for me fitting the EGR bypass and the Synergy was to help the engine be more fuel efficient, not to be some kind of "Boy Racer".
Precisely, one would hardly buy a Rover 75 diesel if one were a "boy racer".

I was finding this thread very interesting and it was providing food for thought and a greater understanding of how our cars work.

However, if somebody chooses to tar me (and many others) with a certain brush and place me in a given pigeon-hole based upon no evidence whatsoever, other than having had the temerity to fit an EGR bypass then I must wonder if their hitherto apparently objective comments might not now be viewed in a different light.

Might we please avoid the somewhat personal attacks against an arbitrary group and return to the objectivity which made this thread the interesting read it was please?

Given time for reflection, an apology might be appropriate, if not forthcoming as well I think.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 17:17   #39
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

OK Paul but this is not a court of law it is an internet forum. Discussions are as they might be over a pint in the pub. Slightly heated with a modicum of frustration thrown in for spice. Let's all keep some perspective please.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 17:26   #40
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
OK Paul but this is not a court of law it is an internet forum. Discussions are as they might be over a pint in the pub. Slightly heated with a modicum of frustration thrown in for spice. Let's all keep some perspective please.
Fair enough Mick, but where I drink, people either have the wherewithal to back up what they say, or the good grace (or sense of self preservation) to back down. The alternatives being unthinkable.

Don't you find though, purely general terms, that people will say much more from behind a keyboard than face to face?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote