Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th June 2018, 19:59   #101
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I'd pay it. I'd be upset because its a lot of money but I've got rid of cars before because of big repair bills then been upset with myself afterwards. She's a lovely. It's not a recurring bill. Never give up a passion because of money.
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2018, 20:29   #102
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75c View Post
I'd pay it. I'd be upset because its a lot of money but I've got rid of cars before because of big repair bills then been upset with myself afterwards. She's a lovely. It's not a recurring bill. Never give up a passion because of money.
I hear what you say, I've done the exact same thing in the past and regretted it afterwards.

My heart tells me to spend spend spend, but my sensible side is saying... the car is 22 years old, we all know rust is the big killer for these cars, a serious MOT fail can brand a car as scrap, very common for these little motors.

The O/S sill needs the outta and inner skin replaced, so will be having a piece fabricated, or a part sill replacement. Will need doing for MOT reasons.

The N/S sill is dented, so this is to be pulled out, no rust thankfully. This doesn't really need doing, its just cosmetic, but I would like to get it done as it doesn't look nice with the dent.

I have the all clear from SWMBO, but its me who is questioning whether the F is worth getting done or not.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2018, 20:30   #103
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I'm in a bit of a dilemma I'm faced with a £700 bill for this little F.

Can you ever imagine a cambelt change and the sill sorting would cost this much?

What would you guys do?

I had the same decision with my 115 😖 not as much mind..
Got a feeling I have a few more challenges.. but fix it and you know it’s been done properly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 09:45   #104
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelOBB View Post
I had the same decision with my 115 😖 not as much mind..
Got a feeling I have a few more challenges.. but fix it and you know it’s been done properly...

What challenges do you face Nigel?

I reckon I've had enough on MG Rovers, the trouble of getting someone to work on these cars is just too ridiculous, its time to move on me thinks, my sensible side has kicked in I'm afraid.

The F needs someone who can do the belt and sill themselves for a fraction of the cost, so its time to get rid me thinks, I just dont want the hassle.

The ZT is good to go, get out while the going is good as they say before the next big job, I dont fancy being in the same situation each time there's a problem. Trying to get someone to work on a 190 V6 is just too embarrassingly stupid.

My ZT will be 17 years old in a few days (4th July), it will be doing my daughters prom on the 3rd July, and then it will be time to decide its future.
Old 30th June 2018, 12:23   #105
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I will have a similar situation with my Omega Estate. It will be 19 years old this September and last year I had jobs such as brake pipes done to take the kids through university - delivering and collecting stuff from Uni in a single journey given its size.

But once they are out of uni or the car is over 20 years of age, any major issues and it will go to be replaced with an XF Sportbrake or a E-Class Merc estate.

I think modern cars beyond about 20 years old become unviable unless you are either doing the work yourself or the car has some particular sentimental value.

Last edited by MSS; 30th June 2018 at 12:26..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 17:56   #106
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

Quote:
What challenges do you face Nigel?

I reckon I've had enough on MG Rovers, the trouble of getting someone to work on these cars is just too ridiculous, its time to move on me thinks, my sensible side has kicked in I'm afraid.

The F needs someone who can do the belt and sill themselves for a fraction of the cost, so its time to get rid me thinks, I just dont want the hassle.

The ZT is good to go, get out while the going is good as they say before the next big job, I dont fancy being in the same situation each time there's a problem. Trying to get someone to work on a 190 V6 is just too embarrassingly stupid.

My ZT will be 17 years old in a few days (4th July), it will be doing my daughters prom on the 3rd July, and then it will be time to decide its future.

Try MGRover mobile mechanic , he quoted me £150 for belt pump n tensioner @ his workshop or an extra £60 to do here. Ended up using Turbo Dave and glad I did as needed a new inlet camshaft, cam sprocket and cam seals after the last mechanic who changed the head damaged them.
I also needed to change the underfloor coolant pipes.. ( which was on my to do list but not at that point), and n/s rear bearing and flange.. I’d changed the n/s front weekbefore. I’ve got to sort usual rust to sort and clonk on the front.. The TF had just been tested a couple of weeks before I bought it..

Old 30th June 2018, 19:22   #107
trophy160
Regular poster

MG ZT & MG F TROPHY 160

Hi wes, sorry to hear the f is being such a headache. I've attached the latest copy of the mgoc recommended suppliers and repairers which has a few mg friendly garages in your area. Hope this helps
Phil

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
trophy160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 19:26   #108
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
I'm in a bit of a dilemma I'm faced with a £700 bill for this little F.

Can you ever imagine a cambelt change and the sill sorting would cost this much?

What would you guys do?
Spend the money Wes, if you can afford to, and then drive it and drive it and drive it.........you’ll soon change your mind about selling
Like said, once the jobs are done, they’re done..........the car will slowly improve, under your ownership, into a fab little car.

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 19:46   #109
NigelOBB
This is my second home

Default MG Rover Addiction - is there a cure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininuts View Post
Spend the money Wes, if you can afford to, and then drive it and drive it and drive it.........you’ll soon change your mind about selling 😉

Like said, once the jobs are done, they’re done..........the car will slowly improve, under your ownership, into a fab little car.

Totally agree, love driving mine.. getting better every mile I do in Tif. Thought clutch might need changing, but think it’s just been the selector arm sticking.. seems to be getting a lot better with use. Especially after I adjusted the play on the gear-lever.. Going to change the bell crank and cable ends when I’m on hol in summer

Last edited by NigelOBB; 1st July 2018 at 05:10..
Old 3rd July 2018, 20:24   #110
Dallas
This is my second home

She is up for sale, I just hope I don't regret it...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mg/mg-tf-m...mot/1304989594

Somebody talk me out of it quick, I've already deleted the ad once. I've had a few messages from people already, I wish folk would just pick up the phone instead of texting. I'm still in two minds whether to sell, I think this is a bad idea...

Why do these blooming cars have a hold over you? it must be some stupid MG Rover curse...

Last edited by Dallas; 3rd July 2018 at 21:14..