Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th January 2020, 13:31   #1
clarky81
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Help! Bonnet won’t release.

Hi,

My bonnet release warning light kept randomly coming on so I adjusted it and seemed to be okay but it then came back on again when overtaking a truck. I adjusted it again but this time it wouldn’t release the bonnet. I have tried the recommended methods but it still won’t release.

I have it appears released the catch on the drivers side but the catch (on the passenger side), which I believe has the sensor is not budging.

I am now at a loss what to do next. Please help.
clarky81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 13:35   #2
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

Have you tried bouncing the bonnet on that side while someone pulls on the release cable.
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 13:43   #3
clarky81
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Done that Andrew, I have followed all the advice about pulling the release while bouncing the bonnet as well as the other options that are PM'd.
Old 5th January 2020, 13:56   #4
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

Pull the actual cable behind the lever with pliers while bouncing the bonnet.
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 14:23   #5
clarky81
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Tried it but it feels like the cable isn't doing anything. It is definitely attached but there is no clicking when listening next to the latch unlike the drivers side when I pull that cable.
Old 5th January 2020, 16:59   #6
clarky81
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Is there a final solution for opening a jammed bonnet?
Old 5th January 2020, 17:23   #7
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky81 View Post
Is there a final solution for opening a jammed bonnet?

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=274518
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 17:34   #8
clarky81
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for that Jim. I will give the front grill option a go when i have some light tomorrow.
Old 9th January 2020, 12:32   #9
clarky81
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I have managed to get the bonnet open but I will be removing the bonnet catches this weekend to give everything a good clean to reduce the chances of it happening again. Thanks for taking the time to offer advice, it is much appreciated.
Old 9th January 2020, 22:05   #10
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

There is a way of opening the bonnet without dismantling or breaking anything (well other than the offending catch).

As far as I can see there isn't a way in through the grill as the catches are sandwiched batween the top of the radiator and the slam panel.

This is what I have done countless times over 15 years og 75 and ZT ownership.

Get a 10mm combination spanner and bend the open end over so it kicks up at a bit of an angle, likewise with the ring end, bend this so it is flat and does not have the usual angle (you are basically reversing the spanner angles open end from flat to angled and ring end from angles to flat..

put some protective tape along your bonnet edge just in front of the bayonet catch, and also put some tape along the bumper gill molding in the same position.

If one catch has undone but the other wont, you can 'lift' the bonnet a little by wedging a suitable object wrapped in a cloth between the bonnet and the bumper molding to open up the gap a bit more.

Reach inside with the spanner and undo the two 10mm head bolts holding the bayonet to the underside of the bonnet. Alternate between each bolt. Every turn gives you more room to work in as the blots release and the bonnet lifts under pressure from the wedge.

Once they are unscrewed the bonnet will open and you can often pull the cable to release. the bayonet the bayonet from the catch. From experience this often happens as the bayonet can jam due to alighnment in the catch so its not necessarily a broken cable or defective catch. If the cable is broken you can get the bayonet out of the catch by pushing the catch back with a small screw driver from in top, between the bayonet and the catch tab, you may have to pull the plastic spring loaded plunger on the bayonet up to access this.

The only thing that makes this fiddly is the rolled edge of the bayonet fixing plate. this gets in the way a bit when starting the bolts off.

As a precaution I take both the bayonet's off and hammer flat the front rolled edge, this way you can unscrew then in a couple of minutes with your modified spanner.

Not had to do this on a 75 for years, then could not get my bonnet open this weekend. A quick rummage around in my tool box located the old modified spanner.

The only thing is, I have only done this on facelift 75's and ZT's don't know if it works of MK1's although in theory it should be the same, not sure about the MK1 bumper gap access either as often MK2 have an unintentional bigger gap as we know.

Good luck and don't go cutting into grilles, bumpers and bonnets, there really is no need.

Last edited by CMOORESY; 11th January 2020 at 10:59..
CMOORESY is offline   Reply With Quote