Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st August 2019, 19:11   #1
Outlaw 41
Loves to post

MG ZT

Default Thermostat still leaking.

A few weeks ago while driving my v6 ZT a high temp warning flashed on the info screen. I had lost a large amount of coolant so i topped up and then went looking for where i had lost it. Thanks to this club i checked the thermostat first and found a puddle in the v. The following day i rang the garage,told them where the leak was and gave them the info where to get the thermostat and pipe kit from. I had the car back only to find one of the injectors leaking,i took it back down the next day. With that all done i set about enjoying my driving with my new thermostat and engine mount that i had done the week before. After a few days i checked the coolant level which was a little down,it gave me no cause for concern as i put it down to air working its way out. I topped up the next day,the day after that etc etc. The v is full of coolant . The car is going back in next tuesday. How could they have got it so wrong? Is the job that hard to do or are standards slipping?
Outlaw 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2019, 19:36   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 41 View Post
How could they have got it so wrong?
Easily David. The number of technical enquiries on this forum following work done by garages is testament to widespread bodgery and incompetence. Remember that anyone can start a garage business. Put on overalls emblazoned with a company name and talk the talk with utter self confidence and the poor unsuspecting customer will be drawn in.

Disclaimer: There are reliable, knowledgable technicians working for bona fide businesses who do good work but how does the non-technically minded customer know who they are?

So, first of all David, you say that you replaced an angine mounting yourself. Why on earth didn't you do the thermostat as well?

The pitfalls on thermostat replacement are as follows:
  • It's not actually the thermostat housing at fault, it's the 'O' rings flattening. They are available separately and are inexpensive.
  • When the 'O' rings have been renewed it is important that the clips on the straight pipe are moved fully outwards to prevent movement so that the assembly is rigid and not susceptible to further leaks.
  • When refilling the cooling system the MG Rover procedure must be followed to bleed the system correctly.

Sadly, garages will not be aware of any of these points. That's where this club is so valuable. So if you check the points I've listed and rectify if necessary you will stop your leak.

Simon
Old 1st August 2019, 19:40   #3
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Needs doing properly !
I have experienced this scenario but NEVER let a car go with injector leaking, despicable act.
The engine ports where the thermostat and elbow fit have to be properly clean and dry for a decent seal to take place, and suggest that a simple thing like not fitting a fuel rail safely may prove the levels of skills used by such garage.
Also, air leaking in (As engine cools down) will cause greater expansion when the engine warms up again. Many of the parts that can be sourced can also be sub-standard in their quality which could cause such problems.
My kit cost £50 ish and was all "MGR" bagged, the gaskets were Bearmarch, but no problem with them.
I would be sceptical about using the same outfit for such repairs, mainly for vehicle safety, your future with one of these great cars and your £s.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2019, 19:49   #4
Outlaw 41
Loves to post

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Easily David. The number of technical enquiries on this forum following work done by garages is testament to widespread bodgery and incompetence. Remember that anyone can start a garage business. Put on overalls emblazoned with a company name and talk the talk with utter self confidence and the poor unsuspecting customer will be drawn in.

Disclaimer: There are reliable, knowledgable technicians working for bona fide businesses who do good work but how does the non-technically minded customer know who they are?

So, first of all David, you say that you replaced an angine mounting yourself. Why on earth didn't you do the thermostat as well?

The pitfalls on thermostat replacement are as follows:
  • It's not actually the thermostat housing at fault, it's the 'O' rings flattening. They are available separately and are inexpensive.
  • When the 'O' rings have been renewed it is important that the clips on the straight pipe are moved fully outwards to prevent movement so that the assembly is rigid and not susceptible to further leaks.
  • When refilling the cooling system the MG Rover procedure must be followed to bleed the system correctly.

Sadly, garages will not be aware of any of these points. That's where this club is so valuable. So if you check the points I've listed and rectify if necessary you will stop your leak.

Simon
The same garage did the engine mount with no problem, they just seem to have dropped the ball with the thermostat.
Outlaw 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2019, 20:05   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 41 View Post
... and engine mount that I had done the week before.

Well there's an example of how an innocent sentence can have two different meanings depending upon whether the emphasis is put upon "I" or "had done".
I think the truth is best conveyed by saying:
"... and engine mounting that the garage had done the week before."

Simon
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:45   #6
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Well there's an example of how an innocent sentence can have two different meanings depending upon whether the emphasis is put upon "I" or "had done".
I think the truth is best conveyed by saying:
"... and engine mounting that the garage had done the week before."

Simon
I suppose it should have been " the engine mounting that I had had done …" although strangely enough I read it that way the first time. It wasn't until you interpreted it differently that I realised the ambiguity was there.

Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2019, 14:53   #7
timon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm not a technician by any means, but I only trust myself when it comes to car repair.

The last (and only) time (in the last 5 years) any of my cars went into a garage, it came back with a blown engine (test run without coolant)...
timon is offline   Reply With Quote