Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th January 2020, 13:32   #241
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
What annoys me is the poor motorist is blamed for all this but there are 2800 passenger airline in the air at one time https://www.flightradar24.com/51.28,-0.29/2 zoom out to see the whole world, shocking isn't it.

Thousands upon thousands of gallons of fuel is being burnt by these in the upper atmosphere and I don't see that being criticised or controlled. I am sure I read somewhere that these aircraft between them are using 10,000 gallons of fuel per minute.

That with all the ships carrying passengers and cargo all burning huge amounts of diesel with no catalysts or DPF.

If we are going to do something if in dead we need too the whole planet needs to take part, not just a little island off the coast of Europe because as far as I am aware we all breath the same air.

There's negotiations going on right now about a European wide pollution tax on all European flights' https://www.transportenvironment.org...n-sceptical-eu

Regarding shipping, the IMO (International Maritime Organization) has banned heavy sulphur rich bunker oil since 1/1/2020 https://shipandbunker.com/news/world...l-carriage-ban

I've been reading about FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) They've thrown the towel in regards trying to get their fleet emissions down to the new stricter emission limit of 95g/km which came in at the start of the year and agreed a deal with Tesla for $2billion emission credits.

They've agreed to start paying Tesla $150million every quarter for the next three years
Basically they've got a free Gigafactory 4 in Berlin because of European regulations

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2020, 14:35   #242
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halkyon View Post
Gravity is a theory, Newtonian mechanics is a theory, the standard model of Quantum mechanics is a theory, we have a theory that the earth is mostly spherical rather than flat, and that the earth orbits the sun. Theory; that is what we call our models of how the world works in science, nothing is ever "fact", just 99.9% likely to be predictive of reality - true or fact in layman's terms. This terminology reflects the fact that the scientific method is the most powerful, self-disciplining, self-correcting and robust methodology for understanding reality that we've ever come up with. The public understanding of the scientific method leads to ideas such as the one quoted when we indulge in motivated reasoning (looking for evidence of your opinion rather than the opposite). Unfortunately the Internet search enables any crank to find whatever information they like.

Electric cars are not perfect, environmentally, but they are far less harmful. Letting the perfect get in the way of the good is not a sensible way to live one's life or run a society, as the perfect rarely or never exists.

Well, said. Both scientifically and factually correct if I may say. By far the greater majority, the independent ones at least, are rigidly relaying their findings and theories and allowing secondary peer review to give their approval or otherwise to the results. That’s exactly as it should be.

Then the world of sceptics gets on its hind legs and inserts its oar. Some objections are valid due to other studies which contradict accepted conclusions, Some are highly controversial in that the objectors challenge the accepted verdict by abstracting alternative verdicts because:

1. They select data to confirm a conclusion that is selective or in some way contrary to the opinion of those who have little other than professional standing invested in the result, one way or the other. Throughout history ‘findings’ have been challenged, some successfully some less so, and have been occasionally rubbished or amended.

2. Professional activists, desperately searching for validation in a crowded ‘community’, call for crowd-assisted momentum to further a hidden agenda.

Away from the heated debate there exist modest but professional organisations that are somehow ignored and have little public exposure yet are just as professional in their scientific rigour. In this scenario the loudest and most heart-wrenching appellants gain supremacy. That is the anomaly, the unfailing result of mass indoctrination.

So far, following changing times and theories, there have been many, both scientific and popular, changes to accepted theory which are revolutionary to a greater or lesser extent.

Given modern day motives of the mass markets and pure mass media greed there will be, possibly in years to come, major shifts. You only have to look at the tragedy that is Australia to see ancient Aboriginal practice born of pre-history experience trashed by modern-day dogma for the inevitable terrible consequences. Mankind, as an endangered species, is generally, ultimately, stupid. Usually fully in the face of its so-called Science.
Old 13th January 2020, 19:21   #243
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

On a lighter note,watching all these flooded roads on the news,would it be safe to drive an electric car through 2ft of water.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 19:33   #244
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Wait until we get a long hard winter. Watch all the electric cars pile up by the side of roads.You will then be asked to not use electric heating at home because of the lack of electric. Fantasy? Wait and see.
Old 13th January 2020, 21:07   #245
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
On a lighter note,watching all these flooded roads on the news,would it be safe to drive an electric car through 2ft of water.
I wouldn’t drive any of my ICE cars through 2 feet of water

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 21:39   #246
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Wait until we get a long hard winter. Watch all the electric cars pile up by the side of roads.You will then be asked to not use electric heating at home because of the lack of electric. Fantasy? Wait and see.
Perhaps worth asking all of those EV drivers in Norway how they are managing with them in their rather cold winters ?
Old 13th January 2020, 21:45   #247
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Can’t speak for all EVs but the I Pace has a wading depth of 20” so suspect it will do better than the vast majority of ICE vehicles in floods.
Old 13th January 2020, 21:49   #248
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
What are you on about? Plenty of EVs operating in the Artic at temperatures that would cause the devil’s fuel (diesel) to freeze.
Old 21st January 2020, 19:01   #249
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Thought this was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH7V2tU3iFc
Old 21st January 2020, 20:10   #250
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

The powers that be are coming up with some interesting methods of "Road taxation" for the new world order of electric vehicles!

Micro-Billing With 5G upon us and all new vehicles equipped with V21communications, V2V vehicle to vehicle, V2X Vehicle to everything chips, your car will talk to the roadside furniture /infrastructure as to where you are with Wi-Fi, GPS and will bill you accordingly, the more congested the road is the more you will pay.

They reckon there will be scenarios whereas you can pay additional tolls through the micro-tolling infrastructure to get to your destination quicker through V2V communications, The car pays cars ahead to give right of way through V2I communications, smart traffic lighting systems on the other hand if you can defer your journey at busy times via a smart phone your vehicle will receive credits

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote