Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th December 2019, 21:46   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default driving licences, electric vechiles driving various

With the move to electric vehicles which seem to be more akin to an automatic then a manual, what will driving instructors be driving in a few years time?

Does passing a driving test in an electric car give you a licence to drive a manual or just an automatic?
If the latter, then in years to come who is going to drive our old manual cars?

Will finding a driving instructor still using a manual become a problem?

bet ya didn't think of that one!

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2019, 22:09   #2
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

A very valid point raised there Ian. Alright for us that have " grandfather rights", but nowadays the licence categories are restricted.
Old 20th December 2019, 06:31   #3
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I think we’re a long way off losing the option of driving manual cars. When my daughter learned to drive a few years ago we couldn’t find an instructor with an automatic and had to find one to teach her in our own automatic car. Electric cars are getting more popular but it’s still long way off replacing what we have. ultimately you are probably right that in many years to come everybody may be driving autos.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2019, 07:57   #4
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Or maybe the cars will be driving themselves......

Que mass driving instructor redundancy.

Ah, the Luddites strike again .

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2019, 10:02   #5
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

The way autonomous driving software is improving in leaps & bounds lately I dare say the system wont be letting Joe public drive on public roads at all soon.

Nvidia have just released their next generation self driving chip (Orin) that will be able to process about 200 trillion operations per second

I kept hold of my old class 1 HGV & driving licence even the petrol ration book from the 70's, they'll be museum pieces soon

Look what they've done to the iconic 1960s café racer motorbikes no kick starts on these electric machines.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2019, 10:17   #6
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
The way autonomous driving software is <NOT> improving in leaps & bounds lately I dare say the system wont be letting <Autonomus vehicles> on public roads at all soon.
FTFY

Autonomous vehicles are fine until they come across something unexpected by the developers, E.g a full white 38 ton lorry spanning the roadway ahead against a bright sky - Invisible to the Tesla that crashed into it (and yes the driver is ultimately to blame). Most other accidents that have occurred with these test vehicles in urban environments have been mostly due to unforeseen circumstances to which a competent human driver would have reacted and avoided. I think we are a long way off from full autonomous vehicles and may never achieve that on roadways not specifically designed for them.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2019, 10:55   #7
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I remember reading on a DVSA forum that an electric vehicle can be driven on an B or B Auto licence. I suspect what will happen is eventually when all new cars are electric/ Hybrid the default licence will be equivalent to B Auto and perhaps a separate test for Manual boxes, like one has for towing larger trailers.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2019, 13:35   #8
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
FTFY

Autonomous vehicles are fine until they come across something unexpected by the developers, E.g a full white 38 ton lorry spanning the roadway ahead against a bright sky - Invisible to the Tesla that crashed into it (and yes the driver is ultimately to blame). Most other accidents that have occurred with these test vehicles in urban environments have been mostly due to unforeseen circumstances to which a competent human driver would have reacted and avoided. I think we are a long way off from full autonomous vehicles and may never achieve that on roadways not specifically designed for them.

What makes you think lorries will be driven manually in the not too distant future also!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebasti.../#13532b8013c5

Old 20th December 2019, 17:41   #9
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Had a talk from a Director from MIRA last year and he suggested with the advent of 5G the vehicles will talk to each other and know where each other is , but as you say it doesn't help if there are other " none talking" obstructions.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2019, 12:55   #10
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
Had a talk from a Director from MIRA last year and he suggested with the advent of 5G the vehicles will talk to each other and know where each other is , but as you say it doesn't help if there are other " none talking" obstructions.

I've been reading about the impending 5G era, VW are already installing V2V chips in their cars to be be able to communicate with vehicles around them.

They're also installing V2X (vehicle to everything) in road furniture i.e. intersections, traffic lights, speed cameras and into road surfaces.
Everything will be connected and will communicate with everything around them & I agree I cant see them letting Jonny speed pants in an old vehicle on certain routes spoil their party in the future.