Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th November 2019, 09:23   #1
Russel
Loves to post

Mg zt-t

Default Strange abs issue

Right my worst issue is the abs I don't have a blue connecters on the left as I have said before

Now in the summer the abs light was on within 30feet of the drive accompanied by stiff vibrating pedal now wet weather is here I can drive 3 miles with cruise control on before the issue rears its ugly head
Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 10:23   #2
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

I am in no way questioning your skills, vision or integrity - however your cruise control won't work without the n/s/f wheel sensor generating a signal. So we can confirm there is something getting through to the system allowing the cruise to work. The blue connector may be absent due to a wire chafed by a tyre after not being secured correctly, but there must be some wiring there somewhere. Have you followed the sensor wiring up from the hub carrier where the sensor is fitted ? If the wiring is tucked behind the wheel arch liner (Not as intended) you may find the blue plug hidden between the inner wing panel and the wheel arch liner, failing a blue plug, there must be something there as the wiring for the sensor is tailored to fit the car set-up in terms of length and routing thus a spliced in connection must be there if no hidden blue plug can be found.
I would start my search from the n/s/f under bonnet area looking for wiring heading into the depths of the wheel arch liner which is visible from the engine bay. Following on from this if no plausible find has happened, jack the n/s/f up and remove the road wheel and remove the wheel arch liner to source the whereabouts of said wiring !
Hope this helps.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 10:34   #3
Russel
Loves to post

Mg zt-t

I have searched and there is no blue connection it's all tape from the sensor to the hub I'm thinking it maybe wheel bearing as it works then vibrations abs light comes on and no cruise T4 session said it was front left
Old 11th November 2019, 10:45   #4
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Then someone, at sometime, and for some unknown reason must have cut the connector off and replaced it with tape, otherwise as per previous poster it just wouldn't work.

You can perform FrenchMike's test with a multi-meter to determine if the bearing is US, and if it is, it would make sense to put in a new sensor and source a corresponding connector for the engine bay.

I fitted a replacement known working hub on a friend's car during the summer, easier than a replacement bearing, and came with a sensor too, quick drive up the road and all was well. Took about two hours.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 10:57   #5
Russel
Loves to post

Mg zt-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Then someone, at sometime, and for some unknown reason must have cut the connector off and replaced it with tape, otherwise as per previous poster it just wouldn't work.

You can perform FrenchMike's test with a multi-meter to determine if the bearing is US, and if it is, it would make sense to put in a new sensor and source a corresponding connector for the engine bay.

I fitted a replacement known working hub on a friend's car during the summer, easier than a replacement bearing, and came with a sensor too, quick drive up the road and all was well. Took about two hours.

Regards
Think this is going to be my approach I'm not very mechanical minded but MOT is due January so need to try and sort out what I can
Old 11th November 2019, 11:06   #6
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

This is what my car decided to do 24 hours before mot test. Fitted replacement hub & carrier. Very easy to do. Also if sourcing the used part from a yard, you would benefit from getting a section of wiring loom and connector to repair this poorly executed previous repair.
The very quickest way to fix this issue is to remove all the tape and find the join and remake the connections as best as you can and make a decent waterproof insulation. Reassemble and source a complete hub and leg from a good car with a loom plug to take with you. Remove the spring and top mount bearing and replace with either new ones or ones from your existing car. New leg built up and abs plug and socket correctly fitted should see you sorted in a few hours with working abs.
Fingers crossed you can get it sorted !
Old 11th November 2019, 13:45   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Roger. What has happened to your home-page ???---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 14:26   #8
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Roger. What has happened to your home-page ???---
Possibly gone a bit lallys up, tbh not been there for a time !
Also if I remember this club removed the link or did something to prevent me showing it on here.
No deaths caused in this, just find it a bit annoying from time to time.
Old 11th November 2019, 15:44   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I will probably have some time Thursday afternoon if you want to pop over Russell.
I will look to see if I have a blue connector hanging on a spare bit of harness we can use.
Can someone confirm the cars harness is a female blue plug and the plug that goes to the hub is male?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 19:14   #10
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

The car loom has a male end and the sensor wire end has the female end.