Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd November 2019, 22:48   #31
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
So you are the one bringing this earth we live on to its inglorious end with all those flights. Tesla’s with over 400,000 miles? Where are they running? America?People who think that the e.v. will become the norm are living in cuckoo land..
BL52KRZ - is there any reason you are not driving a steam-powered car? Stanley Steamers were fast and quiet, with amazing torque. Apparently the invention of the convenient electric starter motor on IC engines was responsible for the Stanley's demise. Technology is constantly finding answers to problems. But first, you have to accept ther is a problem. I am pleased to hear that Tesla test the durability of their cars and the life of their batteries, as do most car manufacturers. My brother is shortly to invest in one, and 24 solar panels to provide the electricity, so he can drive the 40miles to his city centre job without the need to pay for fuel or ULEZ charges.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 22:52   #32
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Actually, that's unfair on him - he's doing it to reduce his carbon footprint - he'll get rid of the Audi diesel!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 15:04   #33
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
EV, HEV or PHEV is the future wether we like it or not. Diesels are being phased out and manufacturers are moving to newer methods of propelling your car along. We are about a month into our new 2020 Hyundai IONIQ HEV and I’ve got to say I love it! We are away for the weekend and sitting at 69 mph using adaptive cruise control and the car happily in full EV mode was quite relaxing.

Just purchased a June 2018 Hyundai HEV IONIQ.
It hard not to enjoy driving it.
Puts a smile on my face to easily achieve 60 - 70 mpg, in town or mixed driving.
Hyundai have put a lot of work into making it seem like your driving an ordinary saloon.
This has to be the first step to change driving just petrol or diesel cars.
I do miss my Rover 75 diesel, but if Rover were still in business they surely would have produced a hybrid by now - unfortunately we will never know?
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 15:52   #34
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
but if Rover were still in business they surely would have produced a hybrid by now
They tried but the battery pack was a bit cumbersome:

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 16:50   #35
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

[B]Anyone ever worked out the actual cost ,money, and cost to the environment of electric cars? All the costs. From mining the lithium for the batteries ,to building the actual vehicle? Then of course you have the support structures for the actual mining and building of them. The unseen costs of the mining to the people who do the mining. The support structure for charging the cars The support for getting rid of the cars and their batteries. No? Then why not? I have tried, but it becomes almost impossible to evaluate the amount that is required, but it amounts to trillions over what is a relative short period. No wonder E.V S are being pushed on us, well some of us who are being pushed up a dark alley, not knowing what is up there. here will be some very rich people who deal in this technology, and it will not be the people who own them. Remember, diesels were the best thing since sliced bread not long ago. Now we are told they are the devils own creation. Aahhh the power of the media, and lack of foresight with the benefit of hindsight.[/B
Old 3rd November 2019, 17:16   #36
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Always remember a Top Gear test on an electric car a few years ago. Ended the segment by saying how clean and green it was . . . . then followed the charging cable from the car to the wall socket, along the main cabling to the transformer, transformer to the overhead electricity transmission lines ending with a power station belching out all kinds of cr@p into the atmosphere.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 18:30   #37
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

To be fair these car batteries are providing employment for African children.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cobalt-...investigation/

The environment and electric car mob must be very pleased with themselves.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 19:08   #38
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Always remember a Top Gear test on an electric car a few years ago. Ended the segment by saying how clean and green it was . . . . then followed the charging cable from the car to the wall socket, along the main cabling to the transformer, transformer to the overhead electricity transmission lines ending with a power station belching out all kinds of cr@p into the atmosphere.

Just watched drivetribe where James May has just bought a new car, Wise words in there.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 19:09   #39
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Amazing piece of kit and it is a replacement for our MG ZS 1.0 turbo auto. I’d certainly recommend having a test drive.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 19:59   #40
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Err. Petrol cars, as they knock up the miles put out more pollutants than diesels. Fairy tale? No, just the truth, but they won’t tell you that will they. Diesels kill you with their particles that are emitted from their exhaust? I was a HGV driver for over 40 years, so according to the experts I should be dead the amount of particles I should have inhaled. Well, I am still here, and still drive a smelly, dirty, killer diesel, and will continue to do so. But I have, in my opinion, another chance of life, because I have the ‘Silver’ one that runs on petrol.